Is my camera beyond any hope?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Vampyromaniac, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

My camera has started showing a bunch of random, constantly changing horizontal lines . . . sort of like a "staticky" image. It shows on the built-in screen and on the photos taken. I've attached a cropped example, taken in low light with no flash for emphasis.

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to bring it back to normal without spending money? I'm fine with buying another camera (it's about time any way,) but I can at least give this one away if I can fix this problem.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. cooltouch

cooltouch New Member

Looks like it's toast to me. Digicams don't seem to last all that long. I have a Sony that just broke one day (a firmware problem apparently) after two years of ownership. I have a Fuji that's about five years old and on its last legs.

Nowadays you can buy a decent pocket sized digicam for pretty cheap. My daughter bought a Canon A1000IS (10 megapixels) a few months ago for $140. You can find them for cheaper than that now. Takes great pix. This is pretty much typical for this level of camera tech, pricewise. Whether Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, whatever. Most do a decent job now.

Best,
    Michael

Vampyromaniac likes this.
  3. Vampyromaniac

Thanks, Michael. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I was beginning to think this place had really changed, with no replies after so long, but you've come through [​IMG]

Yeah, this camera is about 5 years old, too. I'm surprised I haven't broken it sooner by dropping it or baking it in my car. I initially did the pre-requisite "smack it a bit in a feeble attempt to fix it" move, but no luck. hehe

It's almost good news, because now I'll be forced to spend the money on a new, much better camera. Just have to look around and hope for a sale, maybe.

Any way, thanks for dropping a note here!

4. Vampyromaniac

In case anyone else has a problem like this, all hope may not be lost.

I was fiddling with the camera, just taking some shots with the messed up staticky effect . . . and then suddenly one shot came out clean, and now the problem is gone.

The camera seems to be back to normal, at least for now [​IMG]

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Glad ya got it sorted Vampy I didn't reply as I am not camera savvy :uhoh:

Nice to see you here man !!

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Don't you hate it when things "fix themselves" Always gives one a very confident feeling about the gear. :rolleyes: Glad it started working for you.....

7. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

hahaha the stress of technology " its alive ..." just be glad that it works, the shutter of my camera also decided to go crazy a while back and stay open all the time and only worked after i discharged the battery of the camera completely:oops: what a chore that was lol:p