Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown today once

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by sew333, Dec 28, 2021.

1. sew333

sew333 Member

Hi dear users. I have had an problem today.

My pc:
    10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
    2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
    Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
    Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
    Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
    1 TB SSD

I bought machine and plugged in march 2021. No single issue,no reboots,no shutdowns. I played all games for many hours,no issues. Today…i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic part pc just shutdown. I rebooted again and its fine again.

Happened when gpu load change from 0% to 99%.

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe other hardware?

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered once and monitor flickered. That not happens when i shutting down manually.

i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened today once. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you

PS:I am not german,very sorry for my language.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

No no, the Germans lost the war, it's ok if you don't speak German.
    Jokes aside, it is possible the PSU is going bad. Or that the problem is somewhere else. Do you have the PC connected directly to the power outlet or is it on a extension of some sort? Do you use a surge protector or UPS? How is the monitor getting power?
    The problem is what you said about lights flickering and monitor too. If not for that my first idea would be to check the RAM because when I had a similar problem it was the RAM. But in my case the monitor was never affected. It doesn't make sense for the monitor to be affected unless either the problem with with the GPU, or if the monitor takes power from the PC case/PC power supply . But I haven't seen any such configuration for decades, I doubt they still make them like this.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Is it possible that there was a power fluctuation on the entire house or locality at the time? In other words, were any other electrical items in the house affected when this happened to the PC?

Referring to what Trusteft mentioned, make sure your connections are secure.

Trusteft likes this.
  4. Trusteft

That's a good point. I don't know how I missed the whole "lights" part and only considered the computer monitor. Priorities I guess lol.

5. sew333

sew333 Member

Yeah thats why i am asking. Possibility about power outage,for a brief moment. I will explain.

I had laptop connected to other power cord but laptop doesnt go to battery mode in this moment ( i checked event logs ). Also router plugged to wall dont disconnect internet. And my question is. It was so short power outage for a brief second that only pc went off or it was my psu? Thank you.

But when pc shutdown i saw pc case bottom lights flickered for 1 second.Also monitor flickered for a moment ( flickered for 1 second,10 seconds after shutdown maybe ).

6. Trusteft

You haven't answered my question, so I assume the answer is no. You do not have any surge protector or UPS for the computer and monitor, do you?

If there was a problem with the electricity (spike or whatever) then yes of course if is possible there was some damage done to the computer and monitor.

7. sew333

sew333 Member

Hey guys. It was not power outage. Something with pc it was. Because when pc is running i switch off power cord button for split second and then again turn on and pc just restarting,not shutdown like earlier.

8. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

you turn your PC off at the power point without performing a full shutdown first ...you could do more damage that way than any of the other things that you worry about.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  9. sew333

sew333 Member

It was so short power outage for a brief second that only pc went off or it was my psu?Laptop and router dont notice anything.