Is Nvidia running scared ???

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Chaos, Dec 22, 2002.

?

Is Nvidia running scared

Poll closed Dec 26, 2002.
  1. Yes ATi kicks ASS

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Yes but they shall resume control with GeForce FX

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. No it's just the old rope a dope tactic

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  4. Nah ATi is for wimps

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Yes ATi is now kicking butt

Yes but they shall resume control with GeForce FX

No it's just the rope a dope tactic

Nah ATi is for wimps

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Rope-a-dope

Methinks it's more of a case of nVidia doesn't have a lot of bows in it's quiver right now, so they're making DAMNED sure they get the best shots in possible. They don't have anything to compare with ATI's current offerings, but they know they will and it'll be better.....they just can't say anything like that until they can back it up. (Which is still a few months off.)

I want to see how ATI does the next few months while they're "The King", they could really screw up nVidia if they don't drop the ball.

But me money is on a fumble, I've had too many ATI products before. I'm not gonna make any calls however until I see some of these products me own self. ;)

3. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

ATi has done some amazing things in the last year! But ... I don't know... Never count nVidia out until the toilet is flushed!

4. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Why don't you people look at it as it currently is....the 9700PRO is in the lead. Now MAYBE when the FX comes out it will lead. But who cares.

5. digitalwanderer

A reply.

Yes, it is...but that doesn't really neccessarily make it the best video card to have. Sometimes the hype doesn't live up to the reality, and with ATI I'm keeping me eyes & mind wide open. ("Fooled once, shame on you; fooled twice, shame on me.", I've been fooled about 3-4 times by them already. :rolleyes: )

Er, uhm..."HELLO!!! This is Driver Heaven, home of the hardware psycotics/afficienados/addicts/fans/critics/reviewers/hobbyists/etc...........WE DO!!!" :p

C'mon, if you don't want to have some fun speculating on what's up/gonna happen then don't play...but don't knock us for having our silly fun. It's what we like to do/talk about. :)

6. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Go Digi Go don't take no Chit from them dudes :)

7. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Well, I'm guess I'm one of those kids who just looks at a computer as something to relieve occasional boredem.

8. digitalwanderer

That's ok, you're good at 'em. :)

I didn't mean that to come out as harsh as it sounded, I just didn't want people to feel that bringing up any speculation is a bad thing. We like to encourage speculation, it makes for fun conversation and you never know where it will lead. None of us are claiming this as gospel, it's just our thoughts and opinions on the matter. :)

9. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

Dont mess with the Dig! (C)

10. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

ATI has the fastest card right now, has had the position for a few months and will keep it for a few more months. Nvidia is definitely going to take the crown back, but they won't have it for long. It was definitely smart of ATI to stick with the 0.15 process. Nvidia has had so many delays because of their 0.13 process its not funny. The GFFX is going to be late to the game as a result and ATI is going to benefit. Hopefully Nvidia can beat ATI to the punch before the R400 hits maybe after the summer.

11. typongtive

typongtive New Member

for now

yes nvidia is running for now but not for long....

12. digitalwanderer

Faster, yes; but...

...does that really mean better ? Compatibility and stability are quickly becoming just as important to me. (Did I say that?)

13. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

gforce fx is supposed to have unreal clock speads like 400-500 mhz gpu and 800-1000mhz ddr.... it's gonaa put ati in a wealchair

14. Zarathustra

The GFFX will be 500mhz core and 1000mhz memory. But its only a 128bit memory bus. Clock speeds aren't everything remember. Right now it appears the GFFX is about 30% faster than the 9700 Pro. The R300 core has a lot more room in it for speeds, so ATI simply needs to overclock it and they have the R350. The R350 will be a tad bit faster than the GFFX and will only come out maybe a month later.

15. GREEKRAGE

GREEKRAGE Guest

Well i dont know about you guys in North America but some of us poor folk in the old world (europe ) dont have the same prices on goods.

I just asked a few PC retail stores for the price on ATI 9700 based cards.

The result was painfull even to hear.

They ranged from 500 to 600 euro (about the same in USD).

So maybe ATI has a great performing card but...how many people can really get one.

Now your gonna tell me that the NEW FX card is also going to be expensive and your probably correct but when it comes down to that choice when we have 2 cards of the same category which one will you pick ??

So my point is that its not that easy of a decision when there
    are more than one graphics monsters.

Hopefully the competition of these 2 will give us both better graphics and better pricing tactics that we can afford.

16. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Can we say HISTORY REPEATS?
    ATi vs NVIDIA is the same as NVIDIA vs 3dfx (GeForce FX is VooDoo5)? Hmmm...

17. Zarathustra

Heh well I don't see ATI eating Nvidia or visa versa for quite awhile ;)

18. digitalwanderer

Agreed.

Me neither. Further, I see it as nothing but good from our point of view. :D

19. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Do you say this only because some 3dFX people worked on it? What do you mean that the FX is the Voodoo 5?

20. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I don't see what nvidia has to even be running from?

ATI may have the best thing out there right now but so what? Nvidia is just refining their card and that is a "good" thing. I've used both manufactures in various models over the years. I'm building a system for a friend soon that will have a 4200 in it. The reason is I can just load the drivers and be done with it. I don't mind tweaking, and experimenting with hardware just the average Joe just wants it to run. Nvidia still has the tops when it comes to drivers so far. I wasn't too impressed with the recent OpenGL stutter problem w/ the lastest ATI drivers. However, you never know what ATI has up their sleeve.

If either one of these companies wanted to take a nice big dump over the other they must do this. Release the fastest, best card out there at a very decent price. Imagine if the GFX came out at $250.00. Nvidia could make up the loss in volume alone. Now everyone raise their hands if they could buy this card for the forementioned price?

Yup..exactly what I thought.

P.S. I've been very pleased with my 9700 Pro so far. The drivers are "better" for sure and it really can crank out the fps.