Is there a problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Windows 10.

I left the system on when I went to bed.

I had Opera, two notepads, I think one VLC, and maybe a image viewer (One Photo Viewer), open.

This morning, good morning, I found the system at the log-in screen. I assumed the system rebooted, perhaps a temp blackout or whatever.

I log in and I find every program-window closed, as expected, apart from the two notepads. One of them blank, one of them with a number on it. Both intact. The number was the same I typed the day before even though I never saved the file.
    So, any ideas?

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Only update I have had in last few days in a new Windows Software removal tool and the usual Defender update and that just installed and allowed me to carry on working, no reboot needed.

I have had a few times over the years where a power cut has forced a reboot and once started the browser windows that were open would reopen on their own. Not had it happen with apps like notepad though

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

yeah, it doesn't make any sense how notepad recovered with unsaved data intact. If that's what happened.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I know that opera recently received and update that does some questionable stuff and appears to be crashing on multiple customer machines for no apparent reason (hanging with insanely high cpu loads). I've had to walk them through getting firefox up and running or using edge.

Typically windows has been good with restoring your session after an update or reboot to the point of for example, having notepad/wordpad/various other programs not only loaded, but what you had typed out MOSTLY if not entirely restored even if the file was never saved. For example if you open task manager and a few other programs, then do a restart, upon rebooting it'll either load everything as it was, OR it'll load MOST of what was there, and any program that was loaded before, when started, will load into the same spots and sites with whatever it was doing before then.