Is this possible?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by westside, Jan 29, 2006.

1. westside

westside New Member

I just bought a laptop... athlon 64 3400+ with an ati xpress 200 grpahix and x300 core. I know its not meant for true computer gaming, but hell I was expecting at leaste a better performance than that old Geforce3!!! Halo CE actually runs faster on my athlon (32) 1800 desktop with a geforce 3 ti200??? [​IMG] WTF??? Can someone tell me why? Hell, even Roller Coaster tycoon 3 runs faster on the geforce3, and its MADE for ATI? You got to be kidding me... Am I doing something wrong here? Im using the latest omega drivers.
    -BTW-I have more ram on the laptop and my desktop only has 256 and I can run halo at 1024X768 with all details... I can run that resolution at perfect speed on the laptop too, but without any details. I am running the latest drivers for the card on both. Please help me... I dont demand alot... just more than my crappy old geforce3 ti200...

2. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

The X300 mobility was designed as a budget mobility part...the GeForce 3 Ti was a full fledged, top of the line (in its day) desktop part.

In theory the X300 should be able to play it roughly the same, and the proc should negate the difference.... maybe its just Halo being weird, because other than installing the latest chipset drivers etc. I can't think of why it'd be so bad. Do you have the latest Halo patch? Is the rest of the laptop performing OK? Have you tried other games on both machines just to compare?

3. westside

westside New Member

Actually I tried RCT3 and its also slow... right now I have exams for school, once thats done, Ill post the results from far cry... It will be hell, possibly 600X480 with no detail whats so ever.

4. Sandok

Sandok New Member

A laptop is not a gaming device... You gotta buy a top of the line fat laptop if you wanna play games. Otherwise, forget it

5. phongtruong12

phongtruong12 New Member

i managed to play battlefield vietnam on 1024x768 with medium details on my toshiba laptop :p it's got a 1.86 Pentium M, 1 Ghz Ram, and 128 mb crappy intel graphics card.

6. westside

westside New Member

I just find it hard to belive that x300 core would be slower than Geforce3:(

7. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Yeah so do I.

Sounds like a hardware limitation somewhere, perhaps a poorly optimized/designed mobo

8. westside

westside New Member

I think its mainly the memory... the radeon is shared and the Geforce3 is dedicated. On top of that Splinter cell seems to be running at a higher speed on the radeon. However, the halo is still slow on the radeon.