Is this second hand pc worth it for me ...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Ok so this is my current spec

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition 3.60Ghz @ 4Ghz (Socket AM3+)
    Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
    Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970A (Socket AM3+)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti G1

My mate has just upgraded and has offered me this for £350 (hes selling for £450 but offered me it cheaper)

Amd ryzen 5 2600x with wraith cooler fan
    Gigabyte A320M-S2H V2
    16gb (2x8gb) 3200mhz XPG RBG RAM DDR4
    Gtx 970 (4gb)
    Ace 750w PSU red Cooling

I want to play modernish games at reasonable frame rates im not looking to play them at 4K or anything like that, but would like to play say "Shadow of the tomb raider" with most of the bells and whistles

I would probably drop my SSD in place of the drive he has in ... Performance boost good enough to justify it ... bearing in mind my PC runs pretty crap at the mo :)

cheers guys

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I don't know the second hand market in the UK, but it sounds fair and I think that it will do what you want. The GPU is roughly 50% more powerful and should do well at 1080p high details in (almost) everything and you should also benefit from the CPU upgrade.

The PSU looks a bit meh if it's related to this one: https://www.amazon.com/ACE-750W-PSU-12cm-Red/dp/B006FUTT38 That one has just 37A on the 12V rail, which means it only has about 450W available for the CPU and the GPU, but it should still be plenty for that rig.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

IMO the offer is good for the money, but hardly as an upgrade for your current system. 8 cores 16 Threads are the new 4 Cores for the foresable future. While you will see an upgrade in performance, might as well get something much better for not much more money.
    Having said that, it is definitely a more easily upgradable system to something far more powerful so that might be something to consider.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I had a 970 till recently and it is a very capable card - I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider on it at 1080p, high settings and it ran very well.

Mr Cairo and Trusteft like this.
  5. Trusteft

Oh yeah, I have a 970 GTX now and it's a great card. I am not sure how much faster a 1050 would be for 1080p or 1440p gaming. Though ...wait a minute, upgrading to a 970? Ok that's just weird.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It's a generation older, slightly lower clocked chip, but it has more than twice the shader units. Feature-wise, as far as gaming goes, they are on the same level. It's shocking how much things have slowed down. A bit over a year ago, I sold my Radeon HD 7950 3GB. I was surprised to find out that it was actually a faster card than the RX560, which is four generations newer.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Mr Cairo likes this.
  7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

imo, that's a tough one... personally i don't think it's worth that given value.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  8. Mr Cairo

Thanks for the replies guys, Normally build my own but not done that in years and as I have said money is tight and parts seem to be costly at the mo so this is probably the lesser of 2 evils.

I could hang about and wait but even after a format and a new (ish) card my PC is running awful, even games that used to run pretty well seem to have issues with hitching and i just want to game a little with no problems

I am Starting to think the PSU or SSD may have issues

I will probably take him up on this and give my mum in law my old rig to browse the web :)

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  9. Trusteft

Check the temps. If you have the system for many years, you might need to clean the fans and/or replace the thermal paste.
    I think it's a good move if you are going to give a working computer to someone else, and help a friend and possibly get a speed bump. Well, the CPU will be better no question about it.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  10. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

Sometimes we have to be practical, the time will come when you'll be able to get a nice spanking new PC. For now this one will tide you over. :)

Mr Cairo likes this.
  11. Mr Cairo

Keeping the inside clean with compressed air and temps are ok for the CPU but thermal paste is about 4 years old ,

Its an odd one tbh games that used to run fine are suddenly running really poorly even after a full reinstall and Windows over all is just performing badly,

My Brother In law has a Samsung 860 SSD that he said i can use until I need to upgrade i have-not taken him up on it but I think monday I will switch the drives out and possibly reapply the thermal paste (sure I have some arctic laying about) see what happens

Trusteft likes this.
  12. Mr Cairo

My brother in Law does house clearances and dammit if he didn't just turn up and give me a Sony HT-X8500 dolby Atmos soundbar from a house he did yesterday

this bar could actually better than my current sound system :)

Dyre Straits, Calliers and IvanV like this.