Is Vista dead in the water?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Analysts from Gartner said earlier this week that Windows is collapsing under its own weight. Talk in the blogosphere keeps pointing to a Windows 7 release date earlier than 2010. Is Vista already a lame duck?

2. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

That would be interesting...

Is Vista really that bad that they have to release a whole new Windows? I would have to guess that Windows 7 will be just like Vista but a little better?

Well if they do in turn release 7 in 09 or whatever it really can't suck, since so much is riding on it.

They need to adversitive it a bit more, like the Mac commercials. We only see news about how much crap Windows is and never anything good about it...

IMO Vista is fine. On new computers there is nothing wrong with it and it works very well!

3. GeneralClaymore

GeneralClaymore Active Member

Same vista working great for me, i would rather if they take there time and fix it up. instead of rushing 7 out the door. because history might repeat it self.

and it be windows ME all over with the rushing.

4. mike2h

mike2h New Member

win7 is whole new os. not based on vista.
    any release of it before 2010 would, imo, be a fu to vista owners.
    i think vista owners would be better seved if 7 wasnt released till 2011-12. xp didnt become as good as it is in the 1st 2years. took 3-4 for it to reach maturity, & thats with ms really plugging away at it. if ms is pushing to get a brand new os out the door before 2010 what do u guys think will happen to work on vista?

5. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

EDIT: was typing this up hours ago, but started playing COD4 and just posted this now. So Mike2h I did not know it was an entire new OS.

Well I hope it will be the other way around and be Vista as the ME not 7!

If anything they released Vista before it was ready.

I am sure 7 will look like vista just updated and fixed. I think for the most part Vista is all around good visual wise and how you get around.

I just don't understand why it takes all the crap it does? Do people expect to be able to run it on a 4 year old computer?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  6. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

Vista is made for computers with 2007-2008 parts

most complaints are from people running old DELL laptops with a celeron processor or something

and nVIDIA screwed up vista drivers.

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

nvidia drivers for vista have been great for the last 6 months or so.

8. Iria

Iria New Member

Yes, as tbe recent "Vista Capable" lawsuit emails etc. have shown - as well as other reports - there were lots of NVIDIA driver problems at first, but things have improved.

9. mike2h

mike2h New Member

do any of u know how vista 64 support is doing? specifically with creative for xfi & nv.

10. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

I don't have an xfi but Creative's drivers for my Audigy 4 have been fine. I have nVidia chipsets on all of my motherboards and haven't had any issues in that department since day 1. I can't speak for their graphics drivers though. The only issues I've had in x64 is some older software with installers that won't operate. I've learned to live without my ancient games or to use Virtual PC image to run them.

11. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Is vista dead in the water? Is it bollocks.

All i have to say.

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

was windows 98 dead in the water when 98se was announced and release?

13. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Wasn't it? I don't remember.
    I do remember though how good Windows ME was after XP was released.
    :D

14. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Yes especially because of USB it was.

15. Judas

well then?

16. mike2h

mike2h New Member

se was an improvemnet to 98 an add on if u will. & a good one. the upgrade path was very easy with little to no prob. win 7 is a completely new os diferent from xp & vista. the upgrade path should be at least as difficult as xp to vista.
    this is the second time you have used the 98 to 98 se thing in a xp/vista to win7 thread. it didnt apply the 1st time & doesnt work now. se was an uprade TO 98. & a very good one. win 7 is yet another completely new os. you would be better served by using something like 95 to 98 or 98 to xp. & i dont mean the 2nd vers of either os - they were both needed upgrades to their respective os, with fairly painless installs. not new os.
    win me was a variation on 98, still have no idea what its real purpose was, besides to make ms $$:)

17. Judas

Yes but you couldn't apply the exact same upgrade path to windows 98..

they essentially were different OSes and marketed as such.. there was a number of major changes under the hood.

We don't know all the details with windows 7... for all we know yes it may be a completely new OS.. but the likely possibility is that it'll be simply Vista's Core system with the updated and improvements, alot of major changes under the hood, generally similare appearance. But the time frame won't be all that different.

The point i was trying to get across is that it doesn't matter what product is, the next generation is going to put the previous generation in the spot of being "dead in the water"....

As i mentioned several times before, everyone has gotten used to the major delays of the next OS... and are now shocked that it may only be 2-3 years before a new one pops up...

3.1-95-98-98se-2000-me-xp-vista...

95 has rev 0/a/b/c's... 98 and 98se are basically completely different OSes in a sense... and were sold as is...

Or we would have seen on the shelves, and promoted like crazy the different 95 revs.

18. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I think what you might forget is that FAR less people used computers and of course internet back in ~98. How many hundrends of millions people have a PC now? Believe it wil be as easy to transition between one OS to another in a couple of years with this huge market is in my opinion silly.
    Yes it is good for the people that make money out of it...but most of the population don't see it as something good.

19. Judas

that is true bluemak...

but

generally the way it always worked before usually, was that if people felt like upgrading thier OS.. they typically just went out and bought a new computer to go with it.

However i with the way the market has changed now, more and more people are more familare with computers... not getting screwed over as often.... more people are trying to load new OSes themselves onto older machines....

20. FacialTurd

FacialTurd New Member

Definitely NOT, The Difference of 98 and 95, was (believe it or not) 3 years, Vista will have been going for about 4 years when they Release v7, which will probably be delayed anyway (Vista was delayed a year?).
    Vista is a very high quality OS, better than any other i have used for desktop computing.
    Not everyone is going to switch to Vista, (theres still people using 95 for christs sake!).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008