Is Vista that bad?????

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by HawgsHead, Apr 17, 2007.

1. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

EVERY trade publication I read is downright doging Windows Vista.Damning it!I have almost picked it up several times in the past month or so and was gonna go ahead and take the plunge.Is the OS THAT bad?As I said.EVERY THING I read says Vista is a complete clusterfuck!How long will it take Redmund to get the OS right?????.....or halfway right.

2. Freulein

Freulein New Member

If you need a Media Center with a modern GUI, Vista is a good choice.

3. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Modern GUI, you only need WindowBlinds for update your GUI ;)

4. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Vista is great, been running it without an xp install since christmas, even changed my laptop for a vista one, won't touch xp again.

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Stunned to see you using this language especially as you used to have jesus saves wording in your signature :wtf:

As for your original question, no its not bad, its not perfect however most of the "articles" ive read about vista online are absolutely embarassing and generally inaccurate.

6. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

Oh please Z.......Christians arent perfect....Just forgiven.....and He still saves!

7. HardwareHeaven

ah so a selective christian, I like those best. funny stuff man.

Anyway give vista a shot, worth a look.

8. REGENERATION

REGENERATION New Member

I'm using Vista for a few weeks and its pretty stable and nice, it’s not that bad like everyone says. However, drivers are not 100% perfect. However, Nvidia’s RAID driver caused some stability issues, so I had to use the Vista built-in RAID driver. ForceWare caused some problems as well, so I plugged ATI’s card instead. Creative’s drivers suck, but without any stability issues. The gaming performance is pretty standard with ATI's latest drivers.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  9. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i agree, i installed home premium on my wifes comp, she likes the way it looks & is actually getting into 'exploring' some of its capabilities/adjustments.. something she has never done before.
    once i got past the ati driver probs, the ms mouse(put my old mx1000 on & fixed that)& one care issues(put norton internet 07 on & fixed that..go figure)the rst was easy.
    the new file & settings wizard is great, highly rec it.
    i was going t owait to put my copy of ultimate on my comp for sp1, but if nv continues improving their drivers.... cant see any reason not to install it.
    might be able to bullshit.. ahh... talk with the wife & see if some sort of hardware upgrade is appropriate;)
    so far i really like what ms has done with vista.. except uac lol.

10. HardwareHeaven

yeah creative are terrible, they have made a total mess of their vista support. but overall ive found the drivers for the 32bit os are shaping up well, no major issues im finding. I find it hard to go back to XP now, although my main work machine is running XP (because its all set up and I only use it for work such as DH stuff). I miss some of vista's functionality though, like even basic things such as the huge thumbnails option which can help sort out files in a massive folder of stuff when in an app like photoshop.

Plenty of people say XP can be made to look (and act in some ways) like Vista etc, but all those plugins and interface mods really do just drag stability down, I don't care what anyone says. I tend to only install things i need to do something, and keep the OS as clean as possible.

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I thoroughly enjoy vista...

I recommend it on all the new builds i do, the number of people coming is asking what vista's like, and they seemed stunned when i say i've had virtually no REAL problems with it at all.

12. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

I'm just telling you what I read...heck,I havent even played with Vista on computers in stores.It sure seems like the media has something against it though.

13. Golbeze

Golbeze New Member

Been using Vista since the beginning of February. Most of my problems (except for UAC, ended up just disabling that) were from immature drivers, but even that's being remedied. I say give it a go, install it and all the latest drivers for your hardware and see how it goes yourself. That's a philosophy I've taken, especially with big stuff like this; try something myself and give my own opinion about it.

14. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I don't like Vista, and I've tested the heck out of it. I still have it running on a laptop until my bud gets back and I turn it back over to him.

I guess in a way Vista seems to XP like Windows ME was to 98 SE.

98 SE just flat out worked better, faster and easier than Windows ME. I think XP is the same way.

The interface changes in Vista are a pain in the arse. How they keep relocating configuration settings into modified, nested menu structures and crap like that is INCREDIBLY annoying.

They throw out the audio driver stuff and redo the whole code to be in software. They try hard to screw over OpenGL in favor of DX 10 even though OpenGL is widely supported by the Doom/Quake engine franchise. They focus on useless 3D interface features instead of making the WinFS updates work. They even impose a ton of new license restrictions, including limiting what you can do in terms of Virtual Machines, both on the Windows platform and on other platforms. Why shouldn't you be able to run Vista Home in a Parallels Virtual Machine on OS X if you want, for example?

Why is it that when a new MS OS comes out, you often have to replace your old drivers with new ones? Why can't they just keep things working from one version to another?

Why do they insist on changing default file locations? You had "My Documents" and then "Documents and Settings" and now "/USER". What a total pain! At least "/USER" is a much shorter path than that lame "Documents and Settings" thing. ALSO, what is the hassle with the 255 character file names? Why is there ANY sort of limit on the length of PATH NAMES and PATH LEVELS at all? Why does the CD file system not fully support 255 character file names properly?

Vista is not only a let down for what it contains, it is a letdown for what they left out.

I hope I can stick with XP for another 5 or more years. There has GOT to be a better solution down the road than Vista and I'll try to hold out as long as I can until it arrives.

15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

One reason i think some of that changed is that viruses and the sort probly would default to looking in known directories.. if they don't excist... nothing can happen right?

just a guess..

16. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

It's a thought, but I'm not sure how that might play out.

I can understand if they wanted to change system files and where they put DLL files, but some of the reshuffling, like the user data locations, seem arbitrary. All virus writers would have to do is update their code once with the new paths and that would be that.

Still, it is worth considering. :)

17. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Best OS to come from MS yet imho:)

18. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i think by the end of the year it will be. sp1 will be out by then. drivers should be sorted out(creative seems to be the big holdout) & most prog compatibilty issues should be fixed.
    i can definetly relate to dudes last comment tho.

19. genman1

genman1 New Member

You may not be able to run Virtual Machine on Vista home but you can run it on the following.

(Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition ; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition)

From Microsoft

Overview
    Save time and money as Virtual PC allows you to maintain the compatibility of legacy and custom applications during migration to new operating systems and increases the efficiency of support, development, and training staffs.

With Microsoft® Virtual PC 2007, you can create and run one or more virtual machines, each with its own operating system, on a single computer. This provides you with the flexibility to use different operating systems on one physical computer.

Get it here from MS

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...dc0b40a73b6&DisplayLang=en#QuickInfoContainer

20. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I like Vista. It's not perfect, but pretty good. I think it's about a 50/50 in terms of whether it's a compelling upgrade from XP.

Best thing for me: performance. I love Superfetch, it makes things feel so much snappier than XP.

Worst thing for me: driver support. I hate all these hardware vendors taking their sweet time to come out with good drivers, if at all. I'm talking to you, M-Audio!

As for the negative press, some of it's true, some false, and some are just picking on little things that don't really matter to most people any way.