Is Vista that bad?????

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by HawgsHead, Apr 17, 2007.

1. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

In my opinion, users should be legally allowed to run Microsoft Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium in a virtual machine on another platform if they want to - provided they do own a legal copy.

There should be NO restrictions in that regard at all. If you paid for Home Basic or Home Premium, you should be able to run it - period.

If I'm running Linux with VMWare, I should be able to install any legally purchased copy of Windows in a virtual machine as long as that OS is not installed on any other machine at the same time.

I'm not so concerned yet about Microsoft limiting virtual machines run from the Windows Vista side using their VM software. I can always use Parallels or VMWare on Windows to run virtual machines.

However, if I'm running Windows XP Home, I don't want Microsoft telling me that I'm not allowed to run Parallels or VMWare on that XP Home machine.

It's this kind of arrogant, monopolistic crap that makes me so mad at Microsoft and their business strategy.

They are limiting what you can do on your own system by simply forbidding behavior that is not as "profitable" for them as they would want.

That is inexcusable, in my opinion.

2. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I can understand your point. If you like it and you don't mind the issues that can come with an early adoption of a new release, then that's totally cool.

If Superfetch is good for you, then I'm also glad. For me, going Dual Core seems to have made Windows XP much snappier, so perhaps I would not notice much gain from Superfetch.

As for driver support, I blame Microsoft 100% on that.

What is the reason for a sound card driver not working on Vista when it worked just fine on XP? Because Microsoft choose to totally rework the driver architecture. They are focusing on software solutions instead of having manufacturers directly access the hardware on their own as they have in the past. Why couldn't they allow older drivers to still function at 100% of the level they did in XP, but also allow their new solution as an alternative?

It's like when Intel tried to push 64 bit Itanium ONLY down folks throats, making 32 bit support a software emulation afterthought. Folks did not like that. Along comes AMD, which simply adds-on 64 bit hardware support into the existing 32 bit hardware architecture, and they totally dominate the market. Why? Because they listened to what users had to say. Nobody wanted to give up a nicely working 32 bit system with no safety net and have to replace everything with 64 bit. They wanted a smoother, albeit slower, transition.

Let Vista be the transitional OS. Let the old driver sets work for DX 9 in Vista without any need for rewrites of any kind. If you want to use DX 10 level stuff, transition to that driver model when the hardware and the software catch up with things.

I feel that the potential benefits of Vista simply don't outweigh the hassles in terms of an UPGRADE scenario.

If you want to buy a 100% new machine that comes pre-installed with Vista and all the stuff works, then that's cool. But as an Upgrade on an existing system, I think Vista sucks. :)

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

vista is good but my comp just sucks.......it never kept up with me and you NEED the minimum 1gb ram dude

4. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

The hardware vendors write the drivers. I would agree with you if every vendor was having trouble. But since there are vendors who have decent working drivers already, there's no reason why they all shouldn't be ready.

Microsoft may have changed things with Vista, but change tends to happen over time. Or else maybe we would still be running Sound Blaster Pro's in real mode. :dead:

5. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I've been reading thru Dudeboyz comments on a Vista, and I can only find two comments that are compelling.

1. Built in DRM in Vista...which can be worked around for the most part. Though if I want to output to digital source I should be able. However, most receivers have the same restrictions built in.

2. VM software really should work in any version. Honestly they do it because of Piracy but it's more like if you're a developer you should have to the bucks to buy the fancy pancy version of Windows.

There is basically two reasons to move to Vista right now.

A. Added security
    B. Gaming

We can go back and fourth on if it's worth moving right now. Though I have yet to experience any major issues w/ Vista on gaming. However, saying Vista is like WinME is a bit off the mark never mind quite over blown. To me it's more like the early versions of XP right now. I loved 2K but it was sure nice to have some stuff just work under XP that wouldn't under 2K. For example some older games meant for the 9x kernel hated 2K. I don't have such great an example for Vista, but to me it does seem more solid & efficient once tweaked correctly.

One thing I was say about Vista is M$ is try to put the "gorilla hands" on their OS like Apple. For once M$ is telling hardware vendors the rules besides the other way around. Of course this means some things don't work now but OpenAL works great. Just a pain in how it's implemented but you can do it if you know how. It will just take time w/ the new kernel since you just can't slap on old drivers to work on top of it. It's like trying to make any NT based Windows work with 9x drivers!

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I kinda like what someone said about Vista being like WinME. Not in features perhaps but the next OS from MS is coming out in a couple of years, right? The one with the features that didn't made it in Vista?

So far there are 3 reasons why I haven't moved to Vista.
    1)My system XP, works so good now that the thought of starting all over is just a big NO.
    2)Too expensive (retail version).
    3)I highly doubt that I will not have problems with non Vista games under Vista, and if I am going to have to have XP installed as well, then why move to Vista (gaming), for Crytek's latest eye candy? No thanks, I never liked Far Cry either.

Cut the Vista price to 1/3 of what it is now, make it so that it is more compatible with older games, then we will talk.

7. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

Hmmmm......A little history lesson is in order here....the word fuck is not a nasty word.It was spoken in every court room in the USA and the UK up until the 1850's or so.It is an acronym.Fuck stands for "For Unlawful Carneil Knowledge".People were charged with this crime for centuries.It is pretty much the same thing as commandment 7: "Thou shalt not commit adultry".This used to be a crime.And in most places,punishable by death.{to the woman,if a man was cought he got off alot lighter}So, it depends how you see the word.

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

well thanks for the history lesson hawks (get that from a van halen album perhaps ;)) (its "carnal" btw), but like quite a few things in life, what is historically accurate and what is deemed as socially acceptable within a certain religion are two different things. Also remember in 1850 doctors were sawing legs off people without anesthetic, society has somewhat moved on. However, Obviously if Christians in your area run around saying what we would class as "swear" words in your part of the states, thats very cool, but in most places across the world you dont often hear a christian in church after a prayer meeting saying "damn reverend that was one motherfu*king clusterfu*k of a speech!". You are however free to a certain extent to use whatever language you want on DH, I just found it rather unusual for you to be saying it so vehemently in regards to an operating system.

I am however an athest because I find most religions and religious people are so twisted in double standards and their own self importance that it is something I just do not want involved in.

Anyway this is hardly the place for this debate, did you ever actually end up trying Vista? Let's get the tread back on track (please!)

9. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

Heck no!!!I'm not gonna shell out $450.00 to "try" anything!Hey,I know I'm gonna have to bite the bullet sometime and buy it.If for nothing else,the ability to play DX-10 games.......And as far as the spelling,the 1st post I made here at DH warned everyone about my spelling...it sucks!I spell everything just like it sounds......and my typing sucks too!!And I'm not raging on Vista.Just telling you guys what I read....thats all.

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've actually had better luck getting digital out to work under vista properly vs xp. Course i haven't used it ALL that much, but under vista, quite often it either didn't work, or something would be slightly screwed up. It was just confusing. Where as vista, simply going into the sound manager, and setting the digital out as primary, then setting the audio sample rates and decoding capabilities couldn't possibly get easier. Next thing you know, everything is correctly decoding and running slick. It's exceptionally easier with Realtek setup, using the ProLogic II or the Dolby LIVE! resampling, all stereo or other forms of audio are resampled on the fly for the receiver over a digital connection, pretty much eliminating the need for an analog connection depending on the games your playing, or the music your listening to. I was quite impressed.

As for the VM, i'm actually quite oblivious to how it works let alone what it's used for. Seriously, HOW many people NEED it let alone use it? under what conditions would it be required, there is probably a VERY good reason why VM isn't included in the home zones. I mean there are alot of features in vista home premuim that majority of people will probably never use.

btw, a reverend that lives in town here never uses the "lords name in vain", but boy, she's got a mouth on her that occasionally shocks me. :D

11. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Just a heads up that you could "try" vista legally for up to a year without activation -using various methods available- so its not like you have to pay to try it. You could borrow a disk from a friend or even download it.
    Also a retail upgrade copy of Ultimate runs for less than $250 and you don't even need to "upgrade" from anything for it to activate. There is absolutely no reason for you to think you have to buy the full version for $399.

12. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

What is suposed to be the 1st game out that uses DX-10 other than Flight Sim whatever.And when is it gonna come out?....Thanks!

13. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Hawgs... you may want to read this article from Dailytech

This enables you to extend the activation period for much longer than the 30 day period.

I'll be looking into this as i have just re-installed vista.

14. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  15. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

I dont quite understand what this has to do with how good the OS is...Please 'splain.

16. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

He was probably responding to this...
    ...letting you know you can try it for free.

17. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

For this you would have to find a warez version of the OS, right?

18. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

Ahhhh.....I forgot....thanks!

19. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

Nope, borrowed from a Friend works. Try before you buy. Just don't enter a serial number during the install.

20. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yep.. pop the dvd in, and install away..... try for 30 days, of ANY version of vista...