Is Vista that bad?????

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by HawgsHead, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Ferret_Style

Ferret_Style Bouncing off the Walls

I love vista. Been running ultimate on my desktop on a dual boot for work related issues (work software did not work on vista yet). I have home prem on my laptop and it runs really well. The only issue i have left is that my desktop seems to stall on my wireless when gaming every couple minutes. I mark that linksys imature drivers as my laptop on wireless with intel card is sold.

Laptop is a Dell XPS M1710

2. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

I havent read all of this thread however I will cut through all the crap.

Vista = is NOT crap. it is not perfect but it is already a solid OS and runs almost everything I have thrown at it perfectly fine. There are loads of improvements with regards to security, the interface, search speed, interface options ....... the list goes on and on.

I don't understand the reluctance of everyone to try the OS, it takes about 1 hour to set up a dual boot and install the OS for a trial. if you think it sucks then delete it and go back to XP.

Anyone reading this, who hasnt tried it. More fool you for reading the 95% of crap ive read on tech sites from journalists who clearly have no f*&king idea how to use the OS in the first place.

That is why I like DH, the admins here seem to embrace new technology and test it out and give info in threads (I personally enjoyed the ATI and Nvidia gaming on vista DH articles a while ago, very balanced viewpoints). Rather than close minded ranting from sites out to get hits from some substandard "article" detailing how it all sucks - it is cool to rant and bitch about Vista, however the few sites that don't generally have delved a bit deeper. All this anti Vista ranting is to appease the masses who are clearly content with XP and can't be bothering trying the new OS.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  3. magnus33

magnus33 New Member

Alot of blame is getting placed on vendors for making immature drivers and there is a problem with that.

Up tell the last builds of vista there was working drivers and for the most part still are but ms is forcing makers to changin them.

A good example is the aiw cards which don't have driver support for the tv tunner part and theres a boat load of bs as to why.
    The truth is the old pre release vista drivers work fine and you can easly get your aiw working in vista.

Vista is getting hammered because there is basicly nothing really new about vista that really warrents upgrading and a whole lot of stuff to not upgrade.

Everything you can do in vista can be done in xp and likely with less problems and for much less cost.

Vista is in danger of turning into another windows me rahter then a windows xp sp2 or windows 98.

4. Ferret_Style

Vista has alot of features people are not looking at. The integration of protection and features is a huge step for MS. I honestly thing this is nothing like ME as ME was just windows 2000 cut down for the home users. This is completely new like xp prior to SP 1 it has issues... so does every software. You can beta test on 10 million people but when billions own it you find out new issues. I have done software dev before and seen this firt hand.

5. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Absolute garbage.

The reason vista is getting hammered is because there are a few thousand guys, just like yourself who know very little about the operating system and are for some bizarre reason just saying "it sucks cause I say so" - and like most things when some kid (again with no idea) reads it on a forum he "spreads the word". Or because people like you install some crap, resource hogging application to give vista style interface windows in XP and think "ok cool, this is vista cause its all it does".

What about the improved networking, what about the improved search? what about the improved kernel? what about the fact the OS can use graphics card power to bring a more immersive experience to the end user? What about the fact that DX10 games will only work on the OS? What about the improved memory management (and yes this is not the same as "using more that XP on bootup") What about the fact it has totally new OS code and prefetches for multiple cores? I could go on and on, but what's the point? People already have their minds made up. It is just sad this is being posted all over the net by people with really very little clue.

6. magnus33

magnus33 New Member

Hmm thats a amazing case of talking right out of ones butt...lol.

Please do go on as its painful clear you know very little about what your talking about.

Facts you stated so far.

Improved core kernel..your talking about the one with so much crap bolted onto that it runs slower the xp.

Immersive experience oh please xp was doing this long before vista and the whole areo theme was stole directly from a free progrm made years ago

Of course dx10 is only going to work on vista its called greed, you need to buy it to play the games and the excuse it couldn'y work on xp has already been proven to be total bs.

But the biggest fact is the people posting it all over the net who you say have no clue include some of the most knowledgeable people in todays computer industry.

This os had all the potential of kick mac os butt but then ms decided to kiss the music and movie industrys butt and now we have drivers that work but wont be put out.
    Hardware that no longer works and may never and all for what?

Yes there are some new and decent features but presently the bad far out ways the good and it needs major work.

But heres the feeling that express it best from a fellow it guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

Ps..as for me my first home system was the altar 80080 with the punch card system so this kid (i wish) along with others likely knows more about this then you give us credit for ohh all knowning one.
    Hopefully next time you shall think before taking that tone with others when then don't do it to you.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  7. magnus33

magnus33 New Member

8. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

ROFL - I love how it "crashed" the shredder when he loaded the Vista disc. :D:D:D

9. Ferret_Style

Funny part is how i see nothing wrong with the speed of the system between xp and vista. Drivers for nvidia now with the 158.24 run as well as my xp side and and that is a clean load (1 month old little loaded). The key is what system you are running. Vista loves dual cores period. Anything non dual core should not even touch it as it is designed to run better.

Another feature missed was the prefetching. After you use it for a bit it remembers what software you load and loads that into free memory (yes the part of ram that is just sitting there idle doing nothing) this is an amazing feature in my mind as you will see software snapping (loading) quicker then before.

All in all i really wish people that put vista down would really try it harder. Yes it is new. And for those of us that remember... xp and windows 2000 where royal crap on release. Until sp 1 came out for both they where way less stable then vista.... which brings me to my last point.

I have been runing vista for 2 1/2 months now with 0 ... Zero crashes the entire time. No lock ups no nothing.

10. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

No it doesn't run slower than XP. Vista has many improvements for multiple cores. This has been well documented and is in fact one of the most talked about points from many experts in the industry, and it has already been proved with many professional applications, even games such as supreme commander which can use 4 cores see gains. This isn't a debate on our opinion on the matter, it is fact.

All XP "skinning" apps use the CPU so will slow down the OS. If you choose the eye candy options in Vista they use GFX time so they in fact run faster. It really isn't that hard to work out.......... well apparently for some people it is.

This is in fact a myth, educate yourself http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archi...asnt-created-on-xp-and-why-it-isnt-in-xp.aspx

Yes, these same "experts" from "news sites" seem to have the same technical ability as yourself = none.

Not a very coherant sentence, but ill try and work it out. "this os had all the potential of kick mac os butt"? I take it you mean the unix based MacOSx? Why on earth would MS be targetting a minority unix OS like MacOS? As great an OS as this is, they prove absolutely no competition to Windows it is such a small percentage. Certainly vista has flaws and failed "copycat" security options such as UAC, but this is easily turned off. I would argue that Vista is a far superior OS to use with a higher level of usability and customisation, with already a wider software support network/application database and is already being adopted by enthusiasts and the masses.

Really? such as ? I think the OS is already exceptionally usable and with the release of applications like Photoshop CS3 we already have native support for the kernal. The only issue I see right now is appalling driver development from shoddy companies such as creative. I have set up the OS on around 30 machines since the final release and havent encountered one issue or BSOD which is more than I could say for XP.

Awesome, let's all quote youtube flash videos as a source of technical references to an operating system, and let's disregard the fact that if I wished to prove a point I could post about 100+ links to XP OS related issues on youtube, posted by Mac users and idiots with no idea how to use the operating system - much like this "expert" you quote.

Amazing, and you still can't spell. Is the fact that you apparently have been around a long time meant to prove to us all that you are educated and openminded with regards to technology and advances? Clearly this isn't the case, perhaps DOS would be more appealing to you, after all the memory overhead is very low.

Well I think you just did, and in doing so you proved a very valid point I was making. It is a moot point anyway, you will be using vista soon enough, you will have no option. Better stop whinging and start saving.

Last edited: May 7, 2007