Issue with 6.4 drivers

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by azrael13302473, May 3, 2006.

1. azrael13302473

azrael13302473 New Member

Okay so I always update my drivers whenever new ones come out and recently I updated and now I get a corrupt looking screen on startup before going into windows, and even though the screen looks corrupted, I can make out a few words it says BAD POOL CALLER and what seems to be a blue screen of death type of message after it except the background is green. Anyone else get this? I uninstalled it and tried the 6.3 again and it works fine.

2. Spyre

Spyre New Member

I saw that issue exactly ONCE in the entire time I beta tested the 6.4's and it was when I was overclocking my system ram. Was unable to replicate it under normal circumstances.

Do a search on google for BAD POOL CALLER and you will see its ram related.

3. azrael13302473

Well I saw that and also saw that some people mentioned it was a conflict in drivers but I guess ill try to down clock my ram and see if that helps.

4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Every PC I have seen running the 6.4's does this at startup with any version of WinXP. Nothing to do with OCing imho and its not there with ANY other Cat driver.

5. azrael13302473

I lowered all my settings to stock and it still does it, so I assume its just the drivers? I have run memtest86 before and i never got any errors on that. As far as the BAD POOL CALLER screen goes, it doesnt say it anymore but it is still displaying a corrupt image before going into windows. Once in windows it works fine though.

6. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Did you try zp 6.4 drivers?

7. azrael13302473

Yes, I have, same deal....zp omega or whatever, any 6.4 version of any third party drivers.

8. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

im getting the exact same screen, though i dont see any message or words, jus a corrupted screen for about 2-3 seconds.

9. azrael13302473

Yeah the words could have just been an isolated event because it hasnt happened again, however the corrupted screen prior to windows remains.

10. Retarp

Retarp New Member

I get it too in windows 64. It's right at the point before the welcome screen where monitor normally goes blank for a second. In this driver release the screen gets corrupted instead of going black. It scared the begeesses (sp?) out of me since I had just re-installed everything and though I had screwed something up.

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Have you tried running a memory diagnostic program such as mem86? I would also try booting the system with just one stick of ram, and if you have the same problem try the other stick/s. Also, if you are overclocking your system you should try to lower the ram timings, or increase them if necessary.

I've seen this error quite a few times during the installation of Windows. This usually indicates that there is a problem with the system ram, however this can also indicate that their is a conflict with the motherboard and the ram, either by incompatible/unstable timings, or that the system just doesn't like a particular stick of ram.

12. dipstick

dipstick New Member

hehe, you can underclock your system to 500MHz and the 6.4's will still show that BSOD/corrupted screen at startup. There is simply nothing one can do to get rid of it other than to run an older catalyst set. I've wasted much time trying to figure that crap release out; I'd hate for others to be wasting their time too

13. nicnik

i strongly believe it's the 6.4s making the corrupt screen. Ive overclocked, downclocked, whatever, used all the known rock stable profiles in my bios and all of them give me that corrupt screen. What makes it hilarious is these drivers are the latest "official set".

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

I am using 6.4 based drivers and I don't get any of that..what I would try is installing the latest chipset drivers for my MOBO use driver cleaner and remove all the old cat driver left-overs..then install them again..see if that works..

15. nicnik

ive got the latest drivers for everything and am positive i reinstall the drivers correctly.

16. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Couple questions for you:

1) What procedure did you use to uninstall the old drivers? If you used Driver Cleaner remember that you do not want to uninstall the ATI IGP drivers as these are your chipset drivers. If you did pick that option to clean then be sure to reinstall your chipset drivers.

2) Which leads me to the next question: is it possible that the 6.4 cats require something, or is looking for some change that is only in a newer chipset driver? I would suggest going onto ATIs site (not DFIs), and grabbing the latest chipset driver (goto ATIs site, and do a search for 6-4_xp_sb_31959.exe).

3) Also, is there something that the Cat 6.4s fix, either with a game, or something else that you need them for? If not then I would stick with the 6.3s if they work for you, and wait for the 6.5s. You can also send in a report to ATI about this issue. Infact, if you have the same problem with the 6.5s be sure to send them a report.