Issues with ATI Radeon HD 2600XT card and Dell Inspiron 530:

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by szimmer, Oct 18, 2008.

1. szimmer

szimmer New Member

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I hope someone can help me out with a graphics card issue I have been having.

Earlier this year, I bought a Dell 530 Inspiron. It came loaded with XP Pro and the ATI Radeon HD 2600XT 256 RAM. My display was set at 1680 x 1050. No problem at all.

Then a few months ago, I upgraded to Vista 32-bit Business version. Again no problems. I was able to use the same display size.

However, about 1 month ago or so, when I started up my computer the display automatically reverted to 800 x 600. I tried to change back to
    1680 x 1050 but the options I got were either: 1440 x 900 or 1600 x 1200.

Since my monitor can't handle 1600 x 1200 I am using 1440 x 900.

The option for 1680 x 1050 does not exist anymore!! :(

I updated the graphics card drivers and catalyst manager many times but it does not seem to have helped. I asked Dell and they said my desktop was designed for XP and not Vista therefore since I upgraded there could be issues. Keep in mind, I bought this computer THIS year so I don't believe that excuse. And since it worked for 2 months at 1680 x 1050 when I upgraded to Vista, I don't see why it suddenly stopped working.

Here is some more data about my system:
    Monitor: Generic Non-PnP Monitor (Control Panel->Display)
    Windows Vista Business SP1
    Inspiron 530
    BIOS Phoenix-AwardBios v6.00PG
    4GB of RAM

Should I be updating something else in my desktop for it to work properly?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Simon

2. szimmer

szimmer New Member

88 people read this and not one response.

hmmmm!

That is not good.

I am wondering if I should install the 64-bit version of vista. Maybe that will solve the problem.

Simon

3. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

You can try to mod Catalyst 8.10 with Driverheavens' Mobility modder, which you can find here: http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php.
    I don't own a laptop, and I have no experience in this, but i've read about similar problems, and I think it might help.
    Cheers.

4. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

In the Displays Manager part of the Catalyst Control Center, there should be an option to show all possible resolutions and/or force a particular resolution and refresh rate - enabled with a button or checkbox.

You should be able to select and force a resolution of 1680x1050 at 60Hz refresh.

You should also be able to get the Catalyst Control Center to re-identify your display. That might help the driver to "know" you have a display capable of displaying that particular resolution, even so far as showing the make and model of the display if it is fairly new...

Sorry, I'm not in front of my home computers at present so I can't express the exact part of the Catalyst Control Center to look at, but you should be able to find these settings using the Advanced view.

5. szimmer

szimmer New Member

Cool! It works.

Thanks swimtech.

Your solution worked!

Whew!

Now I am happy.

Strange that Vista does not show the resolution I need though.

Thanks again,

Simon

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  6. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Excellent! Enjoy. I just pointed, you did the work.

Yeah, I've seen this issue too. I don't think my Vista install sees my monitor by name either, but the ATI Control software does - I haven't gotten 'round to figuring out or researching why yet though...

7. djyorkie

djyorkie New Member

Hey, I am new to this forum after just finding this post on a google search.

This morning, my Vista 64 bit machine stopped showing 1680 x 1050 on my second monitor. It lowered it to 1600...now it won't give me the 1680 option. So, I updated the ATI Catalyst driver - Radeon HD 3650....and didn't fix the problem.

It is a fairly new PC , only about 3 months old. My main monitor is a dvi connection, and the second monitor is vga. Both monitors are 22" Samsung Syncmaster's T220. They have both been working perfectly on 1680 x 1050....now this morning, something messed up is going on.

Tried going into the Catalyst Control Center, and it won't let me force 1680 on the second monitor.

Would really appreciate any help you can provide, thanks very much for your time. I have wasted 2 hours on this issue this morning! getting quite annoyed.

Thanks

8. djyorkie

djyorkie New Member

Also, just to let you know, Catalyst Control Center displays my second monitor as "Default VGA Monitor" but it shows my main monitor as "SynMaster"

9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

what happens when you flip the outputs? dvi on 2nd monitor & vga on 1st