Issues with NNTP - possible mobo failure.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Logla, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Built a new media system a few months ago consisting of the following;
    Asus P8H61-M
    I5 2500k
    4Gig Generic Kingston Value RAM.
    OCZ Vertex SSD 60GB

Its been working fine until yesterday where I've discovered it cannot connect to any news servers without constant disconnects and extremely slow transfer speeds. It only manages to transfer about 4mb over NNTP before it craps out but everything else on the machine works fine. Speedtests reveal that the on board nic is working fine (Realtek 8111E).
    I've now rebuilt the OS 6 times and each time get the same result. I'm currently typing this now on the rig, running barebones with only the SSD attached and its working fine - I just cant use my news reader. Tried multiple news readers to no avail.

I've done all the usual tests eliminating router, switch down to the modem and its not my news account as its working fine on my dell laptop. I'm totally baffled and its driving me completely nuts, this machine was meant to be a home media and news client.

I've just notice Judas' post about HDMI and should probably mention that this machine is connected to my TV as its primary display device using HDMI.

Anyone got any ideas? I cant really afford to go splurging on new hardware - I would have bought a new board but cant guarantee it is the board. I've tried a PCI NIC but get exactly the same results so it cant be the onboard NIC.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Turns out my ISP is now blocking port 563. My laptop has the client set to a different port which is why I dont see speed issues on that machine.