Issues with Sniper Elite 4

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Mr Cairo, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

So SE5 is out soon and to get ready I have been replaying the older games

1,2 and 3 have all been played with no issues

Installed 4 through steam and less than 2 minutes in my machine shut off, odd so I tried to power on and nothing, the only way to get it back was to pull the power lead wait 10 seconds or so and it fired up fine

played game again and same result same power issue

started game changed from DX11 to D3d and managed about 10 minutes and then same again

Over last few months have played Bioshock, Quantum Break, Alyx VR through Steam, Days Gone, GTA V, God of War and not ha a single issue

I edit on a daily basis and no problems when I put this together I stress tested it and it was fine

its seems to specifically be this one game ... google gives me lots of fixes for CTD but nothing for a total shutdown

anyone have any ideas or suggestions ?

Cheers Guys.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

typically flipping the switch that's directly on the PSU would have the same effect as pulling the power lead.

Either way, having to do that indicates a over power draw protection typically. Either something is drawing more than the psu is designed to handle, or a short is occuring, it's likely the former.

A common problem with some situations with older games in which the GPU will be absolutely pushed to the limit and it doesn't throttle back at all. The other issue if huge transient spikes but this is mostly common for those with RTX 2000/3000 gpus since the boost behavior is what causes it, then again nvidia has been caught with tons of their founders AND 3rd party built cards drawing WAY more power than they should resulting in similar behaviors.

The other factor that applies to the RX 5000/6000 and RTX 2000/3000 is that you most definitely, if possible, want to feed the gpu 2 completely independent cables/power rails if they exist. Now if you're specifications are up to date and correct, the 5700xt, isn't really that much of a beast, and 1000 watt should be a hell of a lot. Granted i'm completely unfamiliar with the brand of psu.

There are a few users i setup with 5700xt cards, and one of them had a EVGA 1200 watt power supply that would in a few specific games, produce the same problem. As a solution for that customer i happened to have a RM550x Corsair psu on hand, and we simply hooked it up and tested everything again, problem free. The cause was definitely the PSU, as soon as we hooked it back up... it'd power off and have to reset. Now one would think a corsair 550 watt modular power supply for a fraction of the cost would be more likely to eat dirt, specially since on that psu, the pci-ex power to the gpu uses a single cable for both power connectors, so arguably we were testing on the worst possible psu configuration for the system and yet it worked fine.

I however WOULDN'T be surprised, if i were to have picked up a 2nd EVGA 1200 watt psu of the same design, to end up with the same problem happening, likely a design flaw. I've seen far too many people reporting a problem insisting it had to be the GPUs fault because they tried replacing their psu with an identical one and only fixed it with a different gpu even though the gpu works fine under a different PSU entirely.

TL:DR, your PSU's over current protection was triggered, and this likely indicates your PSU has a flaw, or is over sensitive.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

Right im pretty sure I can get my hand on a 600 Watt PSU and switch it out so that will be my first step, thanks for the reply Judas its goiven a me a direction to get on with so fingers crossed.