It just aint right that Bill Gates/Microsoft....

Discussion in 'Flame Warzone' started by HawgsHead, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Because I skipped buying XP, and would like an OS to play my games on. ;)

2. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

Yer parents payed 5 cents a gallon for gas and returned coke bottles to the drug store for a refund too, but clearly you can't fathom the economic trends of inflation and COLA increases

XP sold at circuit city for $399 for a full install copy of XP Pro, hell...go to the store TODAY...they'll charge you $220 for an XP upgrade disc.

i also have a hard time feeling sorry for you...look at your computer hardware....you throw down mad $$ ons tuff you keep for 6 monthes like video cards.....and bitch about paying $400 for a peice of software that without it, your hardware is useless, and also you'll use for YEARS.

shut up man....if you don't wanna pay, go with linux or mac...but you'd just bitch about not having any good games then.

So, to sum it up: before you come in here whining about bill gates, why don't you realize just how much windows costs:

$400....365 days a year...we'll say 3 years until you need to buy a new OS, so...1095 days on Vista. Now, let's say you sue the PC 5 days a week, or 5/7 of those days...then you have ~782 days.

that's 51 cents a day to run vista...your phone bill is mroe then that, and you probably don't get half the usage out of it, and there wasn't half the work put into it.

I'm about to digress into the software development life cycle, so if that's "too complicated" or "isn't relevant"[bullshit], by all means, go back to sticking your thumb in your ass and complainign that it gets sore.

OK, windows vista is roughly estimated to be 10 million lines of code. The average coder has a pretty bad error/KLOC [error per 1000 lines of code] and only produces 6200 lines of code per year.

We'll say M$ has above average...by a lot...and say they do 200 lines of code a week, which comes out to over 10,000 lines a year....ok

They wrote vista in roughly 5 years, so 10 million divided by 5 is 2 million lines of code a year....10,000 lines a year per coder.....that required 200 coders. Let's say these guys make mediocre money for their field, and get $45,000 a year. 200 guys, 5 years....M$ is down $45,000,000

Now, they also have to test this code, since the most companies won't ship until there is below 10 errors per 1000 lines of code, and some want as few as 3, or in mroe critical applications, fractions [1 error per several KLOC]. Software testers, if they are any good at all, make $65,000 a year and up...many make $100,000 if they know they're job isnide out and backwards like they should.

So, we'll just say that M$ could easily be down another $25,000,000 on testing, and probably more like double that.

Then, there's requirements engineers, who have to write all the functional and non-functional requirements, before anything is written, and revise them throughout the process if they follow the spiral lifecycle as they should, and not the waterfall [M$ doing the wtaterfall I can't see happening].....this would again likely run into the millions of dollars.

so...basically...M$ put in their work, I promise.

and as for you in particular...someone with PCs...PLURAL...like yours whining about the cost of yours is enough to make people like me dragging our ass through the restaurant industry to pay for a car and a wedding want to reach through the monitor and smack that blissfully ignorant grin off your face. Be appreciative of what you've got, and shut the FUCK up next time you feel like whining about $400 software you WANT, when clearly, home edition would do you just fine, ya jackass

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  3. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

you also could always just wait. XP went down in price pretty fast.

or find a deal. theres always good deals.

Or I dunno where you live exactly but MS does lots of playtesting and usability testing. you could always do a test and get a free copy of vista.

or spend $200 on a dell and get a copy of vista. LOL

4. pr0digal jenius

or buy the OEM copy for half price like the rest of the world...but then circuit city won't isntall ti for you for $40 :rofl:

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Prodigal convinced me we shouldn't whine about MS so I'm just gonna go steal it :D

6. pr0digal jenius

lol

i still don't see why people can't buy a new $500 "computer part" [that's what windows is] every 3-5 years or so

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

It's one thing to pay 500 for a Geforce8800 to play DX10 games but quite another to pay another 500 just to use DX10 on Vista. I can see why Windows is so commonly pirated.

8. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Pr0digal can I just say that is probably my favourite ever post I have ever read in any forum ever. Thats a lot of evers.

Im not trying to be witty or clever or smart or anything but that post was actually interesting and thoughtful to read. You delivered the argument perfectly backed up with facts and figures that really got me thinking. Thankyou.

Oh and my opinion is that Windows is worth every penny. Try owning a PC without it and see how much fun you have. Im the first to admit that Vista has been an ultimate fuckup but still I know it's new and to be expected. DirectX10 will prove it's worth in time, im not the most program savvy person ever but I know something has to be going on inside that expensive hardware or i'd still be installing DX1.

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Hmmm...by your logic, if I buy VISTA for $500, then it's ok for me to go steal a $500 DX10 video card.

10. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Legally, no, but you have my blessing. If caught, run like hell.

11. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Well, you could safely jump to XP SP2 - it's tried, true and tested. :)

12. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Anyone who can fork out $500 for a video card should have no problem forking out $399 for a copy of Windows Ultimate...

No justification for pirating if you have an 8800 level card - poverty cannot be used as an excuse, after all.

13. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

XP support ends in 2012 though, Vista will last me until 2017 on this computer, no point on buying an older version of something when a newer version is available. ;)

14. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

2012 - wow, that seems so far away...

I'm a bit confused as to when support ends on XP cause I read somewhere that one kind of support ends like in 2008 or 2009, but another kind is in 2012.

The one I'm concerned with is when the free security patches and such stop coming. Kind of like how they stopped supporting SP1 on XP already so we had to move to SP2.

You know, back when I bought my Alienware machine, it came with XP on it, but I replaced it with Windows 98 SE, cause I was so used to it and it worked great with all my old hardware and games and such. I didn't actually take the step up to XP until sometime in early 2006 I think, when driver support for my ATI cards for 9x was pretty much abandoned. I held on as long as I could.

I would imagine I will do the same thing with Vista. Won't go until I'm forced to. But I do realize that in the end, Microsoft will likely be able to force us whenever it feels like it, simply by refusing to certify any more XP drivers and ceasing the production of XP security patches and the like.

But by that time, hopefully Vista, its apps and its drivers will be stable, fast and optimized. One can hope, at least. :)

15. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Reading up on it, it appears as though MS has recently extended support for XP. Mainstream support goes to 2009, extended support to 2014.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=lifepolicy

That explains what you get with different levels of support, including security patches until 2014.

16. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Great link - thanks.

That little table clearly shows what level of support each one gets.

So, it looks like we're golden till 2014 for security patches. But it doesn't say anything about driver certification and support.

Security patches won't be as helpful if they stop certifying XP drivers in 2009 or whatever.

Guess we'll have to see.

Thanks again.