It's 2021, And Japan Has Finally Decided To Phase Out Floppy Disks

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Calliers, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Japan has finally started taking concrete steps to bidding goodbye to floppy disks in a much-needed push toward digitization, phasing out a storage solution that Sony stopped manufacturing a decade ago. First introduced by IBM all the way back in the 1970s, the size of floppy disks has shrunk over the years, decreasing from an 8-inch diameter to the 5.25-inch format and finally settling on the 3.5-inch disk size that also bumped the storage capacity.

Despite offering a minuscule capacity, floppy disks survived for a long time due to how reliable they are. Their usage actually continued more at organizational levels than on an individual basis, as consumers quickly moved to more modern alternatives. For example, it was only in 2019 that the US Defense Department stopped using floppy disks and moved to faster SSD storage. Boeing — which is currently making a commercial space station with Blue Origin — was delivering critical software updates via floppy disks to its fleet of Boeing 747-400 aircraft as recently as last year.

According to Nikkei Asia, local authorities in Japan are finally taking decisive measures to ditch floppy disks in favor of modern storage solutions. For example, the Meguro Ward in the capital city of Tokyo is abandoning floppy disks and all other forms of physical storage by the end of the current fiscal year. The Chiyoda Ward is planning a similar move that's expected to be accomplished over the next few years. In contrast, the neighboring Minato Ward shifted all payment-related processes online back in 2019. For the sake of comparison, an average floppy disk offers a data transfer rate in the range of a few hundred kilobits per second while the SSD fitted inside Apple’s M1 MacBook Air offers read and write speeds in excess of 2000MB/s.

[​IMG]

2. Calliers

Can't remember the last time I used a floppy disk let alone even held one.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i used one last year

Calliers likes this.
  4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Capacity was the main issue with them as the years passed, not speed.
    Also, 3.5" was not the smallest one. The Amstrad CPC 6128 series used 3 inch disks. Cool disks too.

Calliers likes this.
  5. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

when I upgraded last year I still seriously considered installing a floppy drive but saw sense when I realised its been about 8 years since I last used one and most modern cases don't have bays for them ..hell some don't even have DVD/Bluray drives

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  6. Calliers

Correction, most cases these days that are nicer don't have bays for removable media.

7. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

Isn't that what i said ?

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

No you said some cases don't have bays for CD/DVD/Blu Ray drives. Most don't have. Like 90% of them lol. :D

You said most don't have bays for floppy drives. But now I'm just nit picking. :p

9. Judas

pretty much any laptop and desktop no longer comes with any drive bays or optical media drives full stop.

I haven't sold a new computer in 6 years with an optical drive. And aside from a few that after they received their machine, sometimes a few years after, called me up and asked about it (even though i typically always asked). Case in point usually when someone buys a printer, they go to install it reading the manual which still state "insert cd".. only without a drive, puts a stop to that instantly and they call.

The only media people are utilizing these days is usb flash media. I've only ONE customer that insists on wasting 100's of dollars every year trying to find software to burn dvd videos (roxio and nero are no longer reliable... in fact i'd say nothing is anymore, including finding reliable media to even burn onto as every dvd/cd and even bluray disc ends up being coasters too).

I only have a usb portable dvd/cd drive and an optical drive in my main machine for legacy reasons.

Calliers likes this.
  10. Calliers

And no one ever talks about Zip disks anymore, they came and went super quick, right now if you find one they're an albatross. Same with Mini Discs. Mini CDs are even rarer. I think I have one Mini CD which is a driver disc kicking around somewhere. As for whenever I need to use disc media, my room mate has a portable Asus Bluray burner which I can borrow whenever I need it.

11. Trusteft

Apples and oranges. Zip drives were relatively niche and even when they were "popular" there were like 150000 models of them, with issues too. I know, I used to have one of them. But they were never popular. Only popularity they had was with the media/marketing. CDR and HDDs just destroyed them before they had any chance.
    As for Sony's MD, there were niche of a niche even in the music playing device. As drives for computers I never saw one in person and I have in all these years saw like one installed in a PC case. ONE.

Floppy disks on the other hand were the king for 1 decade (80s) then viceroy for half a decade (up to middle of the 90s) then government official for give or take another 10 years before mostly disappearing from 2005 onwards.

I wouldn't compare them to MDiscs or Zip drives. Not even close.

Calliers likes this.
  12. Calliers

I wonder how long flash disks will last. Like @Judas said, they're still very very common. I still own and use a bunch, speaking of which I need to buy a larger capacity one.

Currently I own a 16GB flash drive and a 4GB flash drive. I seem to keep losing them, I had a bunch of 4GB flash drives, and a second 16GB one and a 8GB one but now I don't know where they are. :D

Something else we haven't talked about that are still seeing very wide usage is SD and micro SD cards. I only have some for my digital cameras. If I were to own a Nintendo Switch for example I'd have another for that. Also I don't have one in my Samsung Galaxy S20 as the internal storage it came with I find is enough, it came with the highest capacity, can't remember how much that was off the top of my head.

13. Trusteft

I don't know what Judas says as I blocked him for months? now and I don't see his posts.
    Flash disks for me they are going to last for as long as they are relevant. When SSDs drop in price and size, they will disappear.

I used to buy them and plan on buying one more for PS3 reasons, but in general I don't trust them.

SD cards will remain relevant for at least a decade, at least.

14. Calliers

But SSDs are internal, flash drives are both small and hot swappable. So say you want to transfer data from PC to PC or you want to say watch some family video on your TV, a flash disk makes more sense.

You know what really has limited use? Sony Memory sticks. You can get the ones for PSP and PS Vita cheaper now though. Other Sony memory cards for their cameras and such vary from a 100 to hundreds of dollars, like the XQD or the CFexpress cards.

Of course with Type A and Type B cards I believe there are other manufacturers for CFexpress cards, but their prices still remain high.

Edit: And I think you should just unblock @Judas, he may be opinionated (as we all are, to varying degrees), but he's not a bad guy.

15. Trusteft

You don't know there are external SSDs? Really? For years now. You can even get external M.2 drives. Not just SATA.
    Sony f-up with their memory cards for the Vita. What an idiotic move!

Judas is charismatic at times with how he speaks. He sounds (well reads) like someone who knows what he is talking about, even when he clearly doesn't. It's ok when lives are not at risk, but when his stupidity and ego put people at risk (covid-19 bs), then no. He remains blocked.

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I have a camera that uses floppy disks ... Seriously.

IvanV, Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  17. Trusteft

I remember them, from the mid 90s. Man they looked so futuristic!

Calliers likes this.
  18. Judas

living is a disease.... everyone dies from.

Calliers likes this.
  19. Calliers

Lol. :D

I'm getting a 1TB card from M$ and Seagate for Christmas. Considering it's priced at about the same as an m.2 SDD it isn't a rip off. Especially since it uses the Xbox Series X/S Velocity architecture.

20. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Funnily enough, the laptops we bought for our new co-workers a year ago came with optical drives. I would have to check the exact model, but they are completely normal looking affairs, made by HP, with 10th or 11th gen i5s, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSDs, slim unibody metal constructions, 15.6"... so not top of the line, but perfectly modern and modern looking. But they have optical drives on the right hand side, as god intended.

BTW, I wish I could find a controller that supported 5¼" drives, just for the lulz (I have one tucked away)!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Calliers and Trusteft like this.