It's 2021, And Japan Has Finally Decided To Phase Out Floppy Disks

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Calliers, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Yeah I remember MS stopped supporting them years ago. Unless I am mistaken, same with 3.5" FDDs too.
    I believe with modern Windows and systems you can only use USB FDDs.
    I would love to get a 5 1/4 drive with USB connection, but as far as I know they were never made.
    Also as you know modern motherboards no longer have the connections necessary.

Calliers likes this.
  2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

My wife works in finance and about 18 months ago was given a new Laptop its a Lenovo and still has a traditional optical drive on the right, its because a lot of the work is from overseas and some countries are still very much disk dependant ... she has only used it about 2 or 3 times though and the last time ironically was at a future IFA technology conference in Manchester

Calliers and IvanV like this.
  3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I was finding cheap controllers that plug into USB and provide the right connector. None of them support 5¼ drives, though. AFAIK, it should almost work, with the following two problems:
    1. the controllers can't provide enough power for the larger drives - easily fixed by powering them directly from the PSU
    2. the controllers only support a limited set of configurations (the numbers of tracks and sectors and the sector size), with the exact specs usually being unclear - this could be a deal breaker.
    Also, I believe that I did come across a modern controller that someone made, but it was too expensive. I can't believe that no one made add in cards for machines used for legacy industrial purposes. I guess that the USB ones work well enough and that by the time those became a thing, the 5¼ drives were already too obsolete.

EDIT: This kind of thing!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Trusteft and Calliers like this.