Just built a new computer good choice on parts?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Ok, my old computer wasn't exactly growing donkey teeth but with the release of the RX 480 I just thought I would refresh everything. The following is the spec of it, I've already got the processor, DVD drive, case and mobo, waiting on everything else to arrive.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 2.7 GHz

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 32GB DDR4 (8GB x4) Dram 3000MHz

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 X2 (Crossfire)

Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 80 Plus Gold Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 750W

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Display: LG 27UD68-W 27in Ultra Wide 4K LED 5ms 60Hz

Cooling: COOLER MASTER RR-212X-20PM-R1 120mm 4th Generation Bearing CPU Cooler

Hard Drive 1: Crucial MX300 750GB SATA 2.5 Inch

Hard Drive 2: Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Computer Case: NZXT Source 210 S210-002 White w/Black Front Trim

So what do you all think? Did I make a good choice?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

with vega coming at the end of the year? We'll see...

3. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

If you live by those rules you'd never buy anything... something new is always on the horizon. :D

(It won't be til 2017)

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The only thing I would not go for myself in that list is anything "dual gpus". I've had my taste (bad, that is) with Crossfire and will only, from now on, go with a single gpu with the widest bandwidth and most VRAM I can afford. FWIW, I'm still seeing so many problem reports with both Crossfire and nV's version of it, that I just don't have the taste for it anymore.

That said, I do hope your experience is, bar none, the best ever!

(AND, also FWIW, I'm presently playing through Witcher 3 again at 4K and loving it!)

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

A 27" 4K display? I find that 32" is the limit for 4K at 100% scaling.

While I generally agree with you, @Dyre, there's not a lot out at the moment above a 480 8GB, specifically from AMD's side. Why not Nvidia? Because AMD has the innovations so we should support them more readily. Also, competition is good for the market.
    Historically, AMD cards scale better in multi-card setups than Nvidia so it's forgivable.

6. Calliers

I've owned a 4870X2 before but this will be my first foray into Crossfire so hopefully it won't be too bad. :)

7. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

nice one bro

Calliers likes this.
  8. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

It's at least your second time then :p

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

You know I never did have any problems with my 4870X2 so I'm hoping things will go smoothly with my RX 480s.

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I don't understand why the desire for 4x8gb when 2x16gb would be about the same cost and vastly superior.

The dual rx 480's is actually quite impressive.... since the GCN 1.2 cards i've been rather shocked at amd's advancements in crossfire... seems to be gaining a lot of traction at the hardware level too. Add in freesync (which your display appears to have)... and most of all the crossfire related issues that people complain about (stuttering/frame timing) disappear.

11. Calliers

Yeah I know, I actually thought I was buying 2x16GB so I made a mistake.

12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

No offence here, but why would 2x16GB be "vastly superior"? The board he bought is only a dual channel board. Outside of less load being put on the memory controller, or that overclocking would be easier when you only have to deal with 2 sticks of RAM, the difference should negligible in real world use, shouldn't it?

13. Judas

those points alone making a superior option regardless.

14. Calliers

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  15. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

So, correct me if I'm wrong on the Crossfire situation. But, the last foray I had into it, the only memory that was accessible was from ONE of the cards being used. So, in that scenario, it was advisable, if using cards with different amounts of VRAM, but from within the same compatible family, to use the one with the most VRAM as the primary card. I had also way too many problems getting the games I was playing at the time to work right....or even at all!

And then there's been the "many moons" wait until a profile was released for a new game, as well. I prefer being able to play a game rather than spending huge chunks of time trying to get one to work.

16. Judas

APC is the best IMO.... but both of those units do not have AVR which i would definitely recommend getting in either model... Not to long ago APC had some stellar pricing on their higher end 1500VA AVR models directly on their website... you can almost always get better pricing directly through them.

Cyberpower is my much cheaper alternative though, a 750watt AVR model is about 80 bucks... the 900watt AVR are about 95 dollars.

Crossfire consumes both pools of ram by duplicating all data onto both or more cards making the pool no larger than the one. If you have 4GB card and you have 3 of these cards.... then 4GB is your limit. Mixing different cards or identical cards with different vram, the lowest vram card dictates the most all cards can address, just like how raid 0 arrays for hardrives default to the lowest capacity drive as the MAXIMUM. For example the r9 285 2GB i had mixed with a 380x 4GB resulted in while in crossfire.. 2GB vram maximum. This is exclusively directx11 and opengl limitations however. But essentially your understanding of crossfire in this regard is definitely incorrect

With mantel/vulkan/directx12, each cards individual vram pool can be read as a much larger vram pool.... 2GB + 4GB + 8GB with a 3 way crossfire situation wouldn't be limited to 2GB... but rather could easily allow up to 14GB vram.

I've used crossfire in dual/triple/quad arrangements occasionally nearly every generation. My experience is a roller coaster style.... my initial experience with the x8xx and later x19xx (i still have the x1900xt master card on hand and it works still)... through to the HD2xxx/3xxx/4xxx/5xxx/6xxx and 7xxx. I didn't do much in the r9 2xx or 3xx... but the oh... i'd say 2 to 3 months that i got to play with the r9 285 2GB plus 4GB R9 380x..... was a good amount of time to form an idea.

My fairly good experiences with crossfire were the x1900's... the 5770's.... and r9 285's... everything between was fairly ... shall we say... disapointing. Everytime AMD seems to be making headway into crossfire .... something throws a wrench into it... shortly after the x1900, the move to a internal bridge was fantastic.. but sadly due to the uptake of the unreal 3 engine and numerous other graphical engine developers building there engines which basically fully broke anything to do with crossfire outright... that set them back.... with the HD5770's in triple crossfire it seemed they had made some very significant improvements by then (prior to that i was running 2x hd4870x2's in quad)... And having used a few 6xxx and 7xxx in crossfire, not being all that pleased, i was mighty surprised by the r9 285+380x combination and how well they worked even with the 2GB limitation caused by the r9 285.

It's definitely not perfect, but with the new APIs, I'm fairly certain that mGPU solutions are going to become the norm, no differently than when Dual Core CPUs arrived and eventually became the norm. Sure we had a lot of years between the 2005 launch of the athlon x2's.... to when intel finally launched a proper dual core core 2 duo..... and when software finally got a clue and started to make proper use of multi threading, but when it finally came it was a big leap forward.

I have very little doubt that we'll see a multiple core GPU in the very near future... where amd is likely to stick something like 2x of the polaris 11 chips on a single gpu, even 4x of them.. to build much higher model gpus with a refined and vastly superior "crossfire" like bridge at the chip level. I doubt many would complain about 4x 16CU {64 CU} (1024 SP) {4096 SP}dropped onto a single package producing something that could easily drop the hammer on a Fury X card with basically the same specs.... just in power reduction alone, with a single polaris 11 chip drawing approximately 35watts per chip, which would mean a ultra high performance chip with 140watt draw, and that's ignoring the likelihood of better power management in circumstances where the full power of the chip isn't required and ignoring the likelihood of the newer chip that is most likely going to be combined in this fashion being significantly lower power, faster, and use HBM2.

17. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Nice build! BTW, I have about the same pixel density on my laptop, 1080p across a 13.3" screen and I got used to it fairly quickly. And besides, newer versions of Windows do a good job at scaling the GUI (although not all applications play nicely).

Calliers likes this.
  18. Calliers

Thanks. :)

19. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I don't see the point in going for 32GB of RAM for gaming. None at all.
    I am against crossfilre/SLI so I would definitely not go for that.
    I trust EVGA as much as I trust Trump with my email or Clinton with my girl cousin. (either of them). So I wouldn't get anything from EVGA again.
    My opinion on Windows 10 is well known I believe in this forum. I rather masturbate with two forks.
    I have zero trust on LG and their monitors as I had terrible experience in the past. I do agree that 4K for 27inch is too much, but if you are ok with it...
    That's the extend of my comments on your items.
    Whatever you end up picking, may it provide a long good time of gaming to you.

20. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

As far as RAM goes, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. :) Although, I tend to keep my systems for several years, so usually the originally excess RAM becomes needed sooner or later. It may be different with Cal. :D