just finished my new mixer

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by townkat, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

I have also noticed that the default labels "overlap" in numbers (it goes from 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 etc, shouldnt it be 1/2, 3/4, 5/6? not that this is a big deal considering they can be changed ;)

2. townkat

townkat New Member

v013

v013
    http://www.geocities.com/picacioiu/mixy4x2v013_3538.bin (rename to kxl)

-fixed numbers "overlap" (thnx Chester01 for reporting this)

-about converting text to numbers, kx parameters limit is 256 or 512 (cant remember exactly) so 20 characters * 5 boxes would be = 100 parameters + 40 from mixy controls=140..i dont know, they are not ment to use for this...i dont really like this kind of improvization, if u have other ideas pls tell me.

3. townkat

townkat New Member

4. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

why not have it be a big pan bar for each stereo channel instead of two (one for each mono channel)?

5. townkat

townkat New Member

BiCho said "it is quite annoying to listen to mono signals either on the left or the right channel, but never on both", this is pan for...
    That kind of pan u are talkin about u can achieve with faders anyway, just deselect stereo link and move the faders..

6. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

true true

EDIT: im experiencing clipping when panning a signal that is 0.0 db on both channels over to one side (the mixer is only allowing the output to be at 0.0 db also, it would be nice if the peaks reflected the change per channel of panning instead of only showing it on the master

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  7. townkat

townkat New Member

Chester01

First, thnx for helping me with bugtracking.

Second,
    I started to build this mixer because i worked once in a studio where we had m-audio soundcards and i found their mixer the most productive of all (http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/1010lt/control_panel_mixer.gif). So, after i understood how kx can be programed i started to build a mixer trying to apply the logics of m-audio mixer (as much as i remember). I never used mono sources with m-audio card but i belive that peak1 should only show the signal of in 1 and pan 1 set amounts of singal 1 that goes to master left respectively to master right.
    Edited:< This way u always know whats playing on input 1 without looking to pan control before , wich make it simplier, i think. >
    Of corse this is my opinion and if u think ther is a better way to do it pls let me know, but pls be more explicitely, tell me more details and explain the idea in detail, telling why is better and how will it works in specific situations.

cya

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  8. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

well it seems that if I have a signal that when combined (using the pan function, which after messing with a bit I do like) the signal clips and cannot go above 0.0 db by using the pan. when adding two signals together that are both at 0.0 db, and running them to one channel you are going to have greater than 0.0 db, so it shouldnt be clipping... does this explain it? to me, it also would make more sense to see the changes on the current signal (as you can see when you change a gain) this way if i pan one stereo pair to the left and another to the right, I will see this, if it is only displayed on the output, you would see it as one signal, not panned. I am sorry this is a bit difficult to describe. you have done a very good job at porting the m-audio mixer btw. also, im glad to help ya spot bugs.

9. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

after looking at the mixer closer, it seems that if I try to send a greater than 0.0 db signal (amplified on the input channel) to the master it chopps it down to 0.0 db (where it then can be amplified again) with 12 db of headroom, shouldnt it NOT chop it off (I believe this is where the clipping from the pan is coming from also)

ex.
    what is happening: i send a 0.0 db signal into the mixer, amplify it up to 5 db, that is then sent to the master, the master chops it down to 0.0 db (clips it) I then can re-amplify that 5 db and have the mixer output that at +5db, i should really be up 10 db however the master clips it

what should happen: the master shouldnt clip the incoming singnal :)

btw, I figured out "what happens" when panning to one channel
    Experiment:
    1.set each volume control on a stereo mix plugin to (-6 db) which as we found out before is 50%
    2.do this to both channels
    3.now run all of one channel to inputs in1L and in1R, send the other channel to in2L and in2R
    4.hook up a peak after that and you will see that peak displays an output of 0.0 db

what does this mean? if you add the left and right channel together and output them on ONLY the left or right you will be adding 6 db to the channel you output on, since the master clips the signal, you will be hearing clipping/distortion on your output :)

10. townkat

townkat New Member

I have understood this clip bug from your first post about it (i think.. cause i cant test it right now) , i just cant fix it right now cause i am not at home, i'll probably fix it tomorow .
    When i said be more explicit i was refering to "how x feature should work", i hope u understand me now
    thnx for helping me again

cya

11. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

you may have missed it but I did say that I like the way it pans now, its an individual (left and right) panner, I was unused to this meathod of panning which is why I didnt like it, now Im totally cool with it, I like it alot except for the clipping ;) keep up the good work

EDIT: i say it two posts of mine ago "(using the pan function, which after messing with a bit I do like)," im not trying to be a smart ass or rub it in, im just pointing it out :)

12. townkat

townkat New Member

v015

http://www.geocities.com/picacioiu/mixy4x2v015_3538.bin (rename to kxl)

-fixed master clipping ( thnx Chester01 for reporting)
    -fixed 4,6,8 channels working wrong
    -channel vus work with paned signal now , i did dis because this way it uses less kx resources (8 registers less i think), if u think the other method was better pls let me know

I dont understand why didnt u like the clipping, (i joked :) ).
    If everything is ok with this version the next add will probably be solo checks...

cya

13. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

if you have a solo out, then you would need four mono outs :) (one stereo pair to monitor your solo, one to hear the mix)

14. townkat

townkat New Member

15. BiCho

BiCho Audiotecna- Representante

there's a bug with MIDI automation...values are really way out of scale!

16. townkat

townkat New Member

that is posible because i dont use midi automation so i didnt test it but i can try to fix it if u help me test the bug, this means explain in few words how is it working and how it should work, and tell me how i can test that.

thnx for reporting

17. townkat

townkat New Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  18. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

hey, i noticed that if you label something and have two instances of the mixer open, it labels it that on BOTH mixers... is there a way around this?

19. townkat

townkat New Member

Yep, i noticed that too,

If anyone know how to store char variables like parameters pls help me

thnx

20. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

You can save/restore user data in the registry.
    This can be done global (all instances share the same data) or per instance.
    Review and use 'kSettings' object.

/LeMury