Killed 9700pro removing a heatsink...weep

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by satech2001, Sep 7, 2003.

1. satech2001

satech2001 New Member

I could die right about now....

About 2 hours ago i was playing around with my 9700's cooling and as i was finnishing up i decided to remove a heat sink i had installed on the metal plate covering the voltage chips when all of a sudden it came off but to my suprise it wasnt alone.......
    There i stood almost numb when i gazed at the heatsink with the metal plate attached to it and to that.....3 chips.....

I have no idea what happened cause i had only used some dual sided thermal tape (from thermatake heatsink) and i sorta twisted to take it off(that usual works on ramsinks) but i guess the bond off the tape was alot stronger that the solder of the chips....."tears drop"

Its impossible to repair as it ripped the pins outa the 2 chips.

So here i am stuck with 9000pr0 128 now till i can save up for a 9800pro at least.

Moral of this lesson???...........if it aint broke....dont fix it.:(

2. tek

tek New Member

Kinda same thing happened to me but with a Sapphire 9500nonpro, red-pcb, lshaped mem, 3.0NS (moddable :D).

I was trying to put on a new Zalman heatsink, but I guess I did something wrong ( nothing broke... I didnt drip nothing dangerous on it.... ). I guess because I removed the shim or something, maybe even cause of the AS3, the card just wouldnt boot my monitor, it wouldnt turn on the fan would spin.. but my monitor would just not turn on.

Dont feel too bad, it happens to the best of us.

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Sorry to hear that satech2001. that really sux.

I almost wrecked my 9700pro trying to take off the shim that was about 2mm higher than the chip- I finally got the thing off, but at a price- after that I see black spots in 3dmark03 test 2 and 3 (battle and troll) at stock speeds sometimes. My card still works- but I think I put an almost invisible sctratch on the gpu substrate (the green part)- that must have messed something up a little-- I consider myself extremely lucky I didn't kill my card. It still OC's great and runs great, but I think one of the ram chips is flakey now..

I dunno- I put ram sinks on it and I'll use it for a year at least. I lapped the heat sink too- and use AS3- but it wasn't worth it- I should have just left it alone... But it is against my nature.

4. craig588

craig588 Banned

yeah, me too. Its funny I was thinking to myself before I got this mobo that I would just bring it to 200MHz and that would be fine, but then I acctually got it and I had some weird craving for more....MORE!!! So then I took it up to 217MHz (The rams rated speed) and that still hadn't taken care of my craving so I took it to where it is now.

I'm already comtemplating stripping the whole thing down and doing a volt mod on the mobo and a L12 mod on the chip.

5. satech2001

satech2001 New Member

Yeah it sux big time.

But what was i supposed to do??

I had made 19.996 in 3dmark2001 and needed thatextra 4 points to break 20k !

So i was looking for some better cooling to acheive that when well...you know

At least i broke 6k in 3dm2k3........but was it worth it ??....HELL YEAH !!!

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

But are they damaged? if they just came of the board it can be fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if the chips are damaged not all is lost if the board is damaged then not all is lost ......

There are those like me who have the skills to fix it if possible but there’s allot of ifs and luck involved

Take a picture of the damage and post it and I’ll tell u if it can be fixed

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  7. satech2001

satech2001 New Member

I wish you were closer buddy.. so i could send the sucker and gladly pay 50 bucks for the fixing.

But i turns out that a friend also shares your optimism and said he could probably fix it as he has the skillz and the right type of tools(air).

And hes doing it for free cause i gave him an old DXR2 that i had sitting around last week.

Im crossing my fingers till tomorow cause he said he will take a look at it tonight to see if he can fix it.
    One problem is the damn chips that are still stuck to the metal plate.

How would he get them off it(i would really like to know what kind of glue those bastards use...hehe).

I wonder if we could find the type of chips those are incase he cant fix the ones with the broken legs/pins ??

If he fixes it im gonna kiss his butt..../me puckers up and applies lip gloss....also hopes the other guy hasnt got a hairy butt....lol

8. nsx2k4

nsx2k4 New Member

Hey man, I had something similar happen.. well anyways.. what I did. I RMA'd my card!!! DO IT!! Seriously! I got a new 9800 PRO now. What I did was superglue the pieces that I took off back on. Looked perfect. Next, I needed to put new thermal paste on the GPU, it was white instead of gray. Oh well.. I'm happy now. .. 10 days after I sent it in the air mailed it to me, it was on my doorstep at 8:00AM before I went to work.

9. satech2001

satech2001 New Member

Re: Re: Killed 9700pro removing a heatsink...weep

Hehe really funny dude!!!

Im sure that the regular members from ATI that visit us would love to have your personal info right about now ...

Also note that my card was outa waranty...so ...no RMA

But in any case im getting a sweet deal on a 1 month old GigaByte 9700pro for...170 euros...so im back in the game again tomorow..hehe