KK knk

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I noticed recently when I type I get double letters, 99% of the time of the letter K. I would put it down to perhaps a malfunctioning keyboard (It's a Logitech G413 Silver), but I have noticed that I get double K even not together, for example typing the word know, some times I get the word knkow. Funny enough as I was making certain I would intentional misspell know, I actually got the word knkk.
    I don't know what is going on.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Time for a new keyboard, or could this be a software issue?

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Sounds like a sticking key to me. Can you remove the key and check whether there's any foreign substance or item that might be causing it to be a bit sluggish to reach its up position?

Trusteft likes this.
  4. Calliers

Could also be that, so, like @Dyre Straits says if the key caps come off that could be something you could try, removing all the keys and then cleaning.

After that, if the problem persists, then basically it could be a wiring problem with the keyboard, or it could be the drivers indeed. Could also be the firmware. Btw, how old is this keyboard?

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Trusteft

I was more thinking it might be me. Meaning, physical issue which is affecting me, but I guess it would affect more than the letter KK. (heh it just happened again.

The keyboard is ...I don't remember how long I have it. Over, perhaps over 2 years.

6. Calliers

My keyboard is years old as well, I love mechanical keyboards personally. Mine is a Corsair STRAFE with blue Cherry MX switches.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Trusteft

If I end up replacing my keyboard I will try to replace it with something that I might still have in storage. If not, I think I will go for a silent keyboard, not mechanical as even the most silent ones make more noise than the non mechanical.

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

If you mind the noise made by mechanical keyboards I can understand your choices going forward. Hopefully you can get to the root of the problem and keep using the one you're using now, I know Logitech makes some really good keyboards.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I have a Logitech G815 with the GL Tactile (I think it is their implementation of brown switches) and it is fairly quiet. I am sure you can get one that is cheaper with the GL Tactile switches... I really love typing on this gloriously expensive keyboard :p

BTW, this is my first mechanical keyboard, not something I ever really wanted or shopped for, but I am glad I gave in to my insanity since this is truly a dream to use... I finally replaced my ancient Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 since I could no longer see most of the keys :p

QB

Calliers likes this.
  10. Trusteft

The one I have is pretty quiet for a mechanical keyboard. But all mechanical keyboards are louder from the more quiet non mechanical keyboards. I guess it's physics related.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

Yeah, I mean, I really love to type on my Blue Cherry MX switches on this Corsair STRAFE but I mean, brown switches are the best for typing on which is why most people choose them. I only chose Blue switches because they are the best arguably for gaming. I'm also glad I gave a mechanical keyboard a try.

Trusteft likes this.
  12. Trusteft

As money is a bit too tight, I decided to skip on buying a new keyboard, even a cheap one. Perhaps next month. I took out of "storage" my EditShare keyboard which is both silent, not dark color (silver with white, blue, orange, yellow, cyan color keys) and silent. Yes again.
    Now, I have typed several paragraphs since I plugged it in yesterday. No double keys appearing yet, including of course the letter K.
    So I guess it was a keyboard issue after all.

What remains an issue though is what I mentioned some months ago where space doesn't work properly in this forum and only.
    To get sing space between letters/words I have to press the spacebar 3 times. To get double space I have to hit the spacebar 4 times. If I press the spacebar once nothing happens, but it does move once after I hit any other key.
    So weird.

13. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I thought gamers mostly preferred red (linear) nowadays and typists preferred tactile switches?

Also, is there really a difference between blue and brown switches for gaming (all other parameters being the same)? AFAIK, blues are browns with some extra bits added simply to make them produce the clicks for the people who enjoy the sound.

Calliers likes this.
  14. Trusteft

They are both good. I have used both and I guess you are right, but I still (IIRC) think the browns were a bit smoother, mushier.

Calliers likes this.
  15. Calliers

Yeah, Red are quite popular among gamers.