Knoppix 5.01 - Burning Image Problem?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by TJ-, Jul 16, 2006.

1. TJ-

TJ- New Member

Hey,

I downloaded the Knoppix 5.01 Image file and im trying to get it to work. It should be a bootable OS right?

Ive burned the image file to dvd and tried to boot it up but had no luck. I then read some threads on here about extracting the image with Win Rar so i did that and burned the contents to a dvd, i think it was a bootable dvd.

I then restarted and booted from the cd and it loaded but then came up with an error "No Operating System Found"

So what is the correct way to burn either the image, or the extracted contents of the image to a dvd using Nero 7.

Ive only got 1 dvd left...

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i think you won't need to extract the disc image file, it's a bootable disc image,
    you just need to burn a DVD disc from the bootable disc image.

if you download the smaller CD disc image version (KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso - 696M) then just burn a CD disc from the bootable disc image.

ok.. i don't have nero installed on this system, but here a pic from another burning software and it shows the option that you want to choose...
    [​IMG]

for nero... you might find it easier to use the nero express's user interface.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  3. TJ-

TJ- New Member

hey, i used a tutorial to burn a boot dvd/cd in nero but it wouldnt let me cause i dont have a floppy drive.

Will try again...

Im using dvd cause i got no cds...

edit: just tried and i guess it wount let me burn this onto a dvd :tears:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  4. grog

grog Roxy Music

Nero works fine for ISO images.

In this example I used Nero 6 to burn the "KNOPPIX_V5.0.1DVD-2006-06-01-EN.iso" image to DVD.

Next we used md5sum to check the iso image. We want to make sure we have a good download of the image and this is the best way to do just that.

Now we can burn the image using Nero. Be sure to select "Burn Image".

[​IMG]

Direct link to image
    http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6748/dvdhowtoto6.jpg

5. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i have not tried nero 7 yet, so don't really know anything about it,
    but actually i use nero 6 (under Windows XP) as my burning software, i also burn a lot of ISO images with it,
    all disks comes out okay, as long as i can remember i have not yet had a failed to boot from the bootable medias.

6. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Have you verified md5sum actually?

7. TJ-

TJ- New Member

i have not verified it, will do..

i tired to burn this cd image with a dvd and it told me this was the wrong media. I will buy some cds this week and try again.

8. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

That's the first thing you should do after downloading, actually. Because, if md5sum isn't correct, there is no point in bothering around it.