KNOWN ISSUE: [Windows 7 with] 2gb or more RAM

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Temragon, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Which output device is selected in windows audio panel as default? Try using SPDIF/AC3 with buffers at standard settings. You shouldn't be having any 4GB issues as it is fixed with 3550 drivers.

2. powerflux

powerflux New Member

hi, thank you for your answer.

i have the following symptoms
    - stuttering/jittering/popping/clicking during playback. i haven't tried recording yet
    - asio isn't available in adobe audition and renoise. simply no devices. i miss that too.
    - mulitple programs trying to use the same card at the same time makes the noise far more worse
    - most tracks start ok, but nearing the end the problem becomes more and more dominant
    - measurement bars like the VU meters in audition respond very slow. renoise is unusable without asio
    - can't use waveoutHQ on the audigy 2. greyed out.

using S/PDIF is not really an option since i want to use the analog in- and outputs on the cards. AC3 files have the problem too.

i've tried the following things
    - reinstalling the drivers multiple times, swapping cards between slots, using only one card, switching between the two, everytime reinstalling the driver.
    - setting the buffers to max. solves the problem for 90% of the time, but it doesn't 'feel' right the way the music sounds.
    - booting windows XP-32 with 2GB's installed, memory remap on (2GB available). no problemo
    - booting windows XP-32with 2GB's installed, memory remap off (2GB available). no problemo
    - booting windows XP-32 with 4GB's installed, memory remap on (3.12GB available). no problemo
    - booting windows XP-32with 4GB's installed, memory remap off (2GB available). no problemo
    - booting windows W7-64 with 4GB's installed, memory remap on (3.12 available). trouble
    - booting windows W7-64with 4GB's installed, memory remap off (4 available). trouble
    - trying wave-out, directsound and kernel streaming. neither solved the problem
    - running the PC at stock speed and underclocked (normally it is overclocked) with all the options mentioned above
    - using the onboard realtek and some old philips sound card. no problem in W7-64 and XP-32. but that's no alternative

and because of upgrades/testing
    - tried 4 different video cards (nvidia 8600gt, ati 3850, ati 3870, ati 4850x2) since i've switched to W7, no changes
    - new powersupply. didn't solve the problem

i will try having 2GB's installed with W7-64, but my memory isn't easily accessed.

my chipset is the 975XG on the asus p5wdh deluxe motherboard.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  3. Tyrsonswood

Well, first of all, I wasn't saying to use a SPDIF device, just select that as your default output in Windows audio panel, keep using your same analog input and output hardware. If you tried it and it didn't get rid of the noises and stuttering then you have something else going on..... it's worked for a lot of guys.

Next, realize that no 32 bit applications are going to work with a 64bit OS and KX drivers.

4. powerflux

powerflux New Member

i misunderstood both.. S/PDIF as default audio device _almost_ solves the problem. few clicks in an hour, but with the buffers at default! nice, thanks.

with 'no 32bit apps going to work' do you mean not working at all? because audition works. just badly and with no asio support..

5. Tyrsonswood

It's the ASIO support mostly, from what I've read.... I don't have 64bit myself.

Glad the other change helped some, It's what I was set at when I had the Win7 RTM installed and it worked great.

6. JessicaD

JessicaD New Member

Powerflux,
    Prior to migrating to Windows 7 from Windows XP did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?
    To determine if your current computer configuration will be compatible with Windows 7 please go to the following link: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
    Another resource to verify compatibility is available at the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center located at the following link: Windows 7 Compatibility Center home
    Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team