kx and EAX

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by Bernt, May 4, 2005.

1. Bernt

Bernt New Member

I have a SB Live 7.1 internal sound card on my computer. My problem concerns EAX effects. I am using a Creative Prodikeys keyboard for playing music. There is a choice of two MIDI output devices, Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth and Creative SoundFont Synth. When I use the former I can use EAX effects when playing (usually with headphones), but when I use the latter they cannot be applied (that is, there is no difference in the sound whatever environment I try to set the effects on). The only way around it seems to be to record what I am playing, and use EAX effects on the recording, but I would like to use EAX effects as an improvement of the accoustics of the keyboard, not just in order to change the experience of recordings. The main problem is that all the soundfonts I have downloaded myself have to be played through the Creative Soundfont Synth, so I cannot get a good sound for these.

So my question is: could the kx driver solve the problem? Now I only have the drivers that came on the installation disc of the SB-package, my version of EAX is EAX Advanced 3.0.

An additional question: can kx reduce the cracking of the noise I tend to experience when playing my keyboard?

2. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

The kX Project Audio Driver does not support standard EAX gaming, but there are DSP effects for EAX, EAX 3, and EAX 4. The newset kX beta driver has very good ASIO latency improvement. On my system 1.3 GHz 512 MB DDR Ram, I get clear sound when playing soundfonts standalone with SFMan (http://driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=72913 or download from: http://zvukovacz.hammersound.net/) or in a Sequencer using the kX Synth.

I'd say give kX a try, if you dont mind being without standard EAX support. Try out the DSP EAX effects and see if it's what youre looking for. When using kX and playing EAX games that have no surround option (such as 3D suround), but has a EAX option, select the EAX option and from the kX icon in the taskbar, right click it and select Settings/Driver Compatibility and check mark Filter All EAX Requests. See how you like this setup for gaming?

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  3. Bernt

Bernt New Member

Severe problem?

I tried install kx and to open the kx mixer, but this is what I got:

"Severe error! kxskin.kxs not found or is invalid. The kx Audio driver wasn't installed correctly. Please re-run installed set-up "

How many times?

4. thomasabarnes

For Windows XP installation of the kX Audio Drivers:

Turn off System Restore, so Windows wont automatically install the Creative drivers. See this thread for installation instructions and download links to kX driver (http://driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=70982). You must uninstall all Creative apps and drivers, before installing the kX Drivers! Then, reboot and use Driver Cleaner Pro in safe mode, and if it's your 1st time using Driver Cleaner Pro, also use Cab Cleaner found under the tool menu of Driver Cleaner Pro (http://driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=69795) to make sure the Creative drivers are uninstalled properly from your system. Reboot after using Driver Cleaner Pro.

Install the 3538c, 3538g, and 3538h, then reboot. You should be good to go. Turn on System Restore upon a successful install of kX Drivers.

5. Bernt

Bernt New Member

Not so easy, these things

OK,

(1) I started with unistalling windows drivers from SB Live using remove/add of control panel

(2) Then I followed every step you mention.

(3) Now

(a) Every time I reboot, the system want's to install my sound card (SB Live)

(b) but kx installation ends with the message

"kx setup hasn't detected any kx-compatible device"

So what should I do? Surely SB Live 7.1 24-bit is kx-compatible?

6. thomasabarnes

Uninstall the sound card from the Device manager. Then try to reinstall kX, if that doesnt work, windows got messed up some how, either reinstall Creative stuff, or do a reformat of HDD installation of Windows, then install kX driver, 3538c, 3538g, and 3538h, if you can stand to do that. But, I say it's worth it!

Edit:

Uh Oh, I'm sorry, I just really noticed your soundcard model. I dont think SB Live! 24 Bit is compatible with the kX Driver, sorry.

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the soundblaster live 24 bit is nto a true soundblaster live!. it does not have the 10kX chip and is therefore incompatible with kX