kX Automation...automation

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Maddogg6, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Just an update... I hit a milestone just now by having my program successfully assign ALL AVAILABLE controller to kX Automation... it even handles 2 cards.. but you have to know a start MIDI CH and CC - But it does save a separate .kx file for each card.

The lookup table of guid_x was a bit of a pain, but was not too bad...

I still need to make sure that an unknown plugin (with no guid_x) in the look up table wont try to be processed. But that should be easy enough, just the testing really.

Then the simpler part to change Sonar Config Files... stay tuned.

This will make kX Automation even better!!! Oh yeah.!!!

Thanks to MAX:)cool:) and RUSS:)cool:) - this has been much easier with their awesome help.

And of course, E. :)cool:)

'And Id also like to thank my manager, all my fans, Joey at the Beefeater Grill, Mountain Dew, American Spirit, McDonalds, Quizno's, .... and anyone else I may have forgotten here...'

lol

Really - Thanks a lot guys....

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

:D

Did you try every plugin with automation to figure out that value? :duh:
    Why not just ask Eugene about it? :hmm:

3. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yes.

Who knows how long before he could respond..?? And I wanted to get this done while the idea was still fresh in my noggin.

Besides - it was not so bad... I used autohot key to automate (with its Macro Record/playback on hotkey press);
    Opening kX Automation
    automate mouse movement/clicks to add 1 control to each plugin - it automatically skipped plugins with no available controls
    save kX file with incrementing name, and save with DSP config (so I have GUID's and plugin Name too)

Tho I had to load each plugin into the DSP, luckily, I didnt need to connect them :D

Then I loaded each kx file saved from above in Notepad+ that has macros and a REGEX search & replace - Which became a TAB delimited CSV - which I copy into Excel to strip out all the Un-needed fiedls - and pasted back into notepad - and changed the TABS to a '|' I used in my program as a delimeter.

Yes, I know there were a ton of ways I could have used to do this - but this way was quickest way for me to 'git er done'... other ways would have added learning curve be it more advanced REG EX in any language (or in Textpad+) - (re: getting rid of min_X - where x is changing for instance - was easier to split into fields that can be easily deleted in Excel)

If theres a way to calculate, or otherwise get that guid_x - later then that can be implemented later in leu of the lookup table file I made.

Even if just to automate making that lookup file, and execute a new 'table maker' program, would be pretty simple for even me. :D

But yes - I was determined and did it all in a way I was capable of. And its somewhat user friendly if you can read a console screen.
    ie "Locate your MASTER.INS file - press any key' - then a windows 'File Open' dialog opens up and the user simply finds their file.
    Sonar, btw, turns outs only 1 file is needed to be edited.

If anyone wants me to look at automating controller names in another program, I can give it a shot, although a text file is easiest, I could try other file types.

I dont have Access to Cubase atm, so I dont have a clue what is involved with that... but PM me - I'll give ya an email to use to send the file that stores controller names for your daw and I will attempt to make a way to accomodate for that DAW.

The good news is - it looks like Sonar hasnt changed the way this info is kept since it was still Cakewalk Pro - So All versions of Sonar *should* work - if not, with only minor tweaks - but I would need that versions MASTER.INS - or related files to implement those version.

4. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Who knows how long before he could respond..??

He's on vacation now.

---

btw. could you please give an example *.ins file?
    (Not to filch a fun from you, but i'm planning to add this functionality to the 'autohack' (e.g. generating *.kx and other supplementall files) when we have this guid_x sectret uncovered :evil:).

5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

V1 - as it is only adds automation controls to kX Automation... so its still quite handy - but next version will have ability to automate a DAWS ability to use friendly names for these automatons of kX like 'MX6 - inVol_1' as a MIDI COntroller for one channel of kX Control MIDI OUT PORT..

Its called kXA2 (kX Project Automation Automation)

MD6_kX Stuff eSnips Folder

Post here if you find problems, I will do my best to fix it.

edit: @Max - I added the file at the site above too...

Brief explanation...

The '.Controller Names' section (at line 2436) - when defined (edit: and is 1 of 2 thing to define /edit) Will give the user the ability to select a pool of controller names to a single MIDI PORTS channel...
    So for each 127 controllers - on a single MIDI channel - you need to created a another definition pool that can be assigned to another kX Control MIDI channel

Near the bottom ... we assign the Controller names to an Instrument.
    It should be pretty obvious with that pic I added. But let me know if you need more info on anything...
    So we need a control AND instrument definition for each 127 controllers,

It will still be upto the user to define each kX COntrol MIDI Channel an instrument - because of the various names that can be had for the MIIDI ports.
    It still may be possible but that is defined in the INST.INI file...
    But a table of all the possible device names and [XX00] IO locations would need to be used or something...?? (in the case of someone with 2 SBLives for instance.)

I hope that makes sense - it may not be obvious from just the file, seeing the dialog for defining the instruments in Sonar may make that easier.... I'll post a pic of that for ya too.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  6. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Oh yeah - no I remember why auto assigning an INSTRUMENT to a MIDI Port...
    And here is the TTSSEQ.INI file that keeps all the enabled MIDI Ports...
    Those 'XXX=' seem to be a reference to a particular MIDI port enabled in Sonar.
    So that may be trickier... but to leave it up to the user to define the MIDI Ports channels an instrument is still a whole lot better than manually tying in all those control definitions... thats a HUGE PITA....

So just editing the MASTER.INS file is (way) good enough IMHO.

7. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Aha, very thanks. I'll take a deeper look into this when time comes (i think i'll wait for the guid_x to be exposed - i've already added a few sketches for *.kx generation - but still no go w/o understanding of guid_x)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  8. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Update... follow the link for V2 of kxAA - aka kXA2...
    Edit: Found a bug... will repost when fixed.. /edit
    edit2: Fixed bugs http://www.esnips.com/web/MD6kXStuff/ /edit
    it now edits a Sonar 'master.ins' file to bring all the assigned plug-in controller names.

All you have to do is assign the kX Control OUT port (options>Instruments) and assign these new instruments to the relavent Channel. (if you choose MIDI CHannel 4 - then assign kX Control Midi Channel 4 to the first new instrument.
    It supports multiple cards, and *should* work up to all 16*127 Midi CC/Channels that are possible... but, I didnt test extensively. And I am tired now. :D

Is it perfect? - probably not. Does it have bugs? If you look hard enough, probably. Does it make life 1000 times easier to use kX Automation in Sonar - OH YES!

Report bugs, feature requests please - but I am not good enough to guarantee action. Somethings are just over my head.

Id bet whatever Max comes up with, as he hints to, will be far superior - but this will do for the time period.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008