kX=Dead? No Eugene..?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DDRRE, Jun 19, 2006.

1. DDRRE

DDRRE New Member

Where is he? is the project dead?

This is a great project, and it's such a shame that it isn't developed any further.

2. kx_shane

kx_shane Banned

Ya Eugene has dissapointed every1 on this forum
    instead of reaching the goal he had set to complete the driver
    he's now gunna basically unsupport it, just like creative did with there drivers
    we got a half assed, half featured driver
    funny thing is its still better then creatives but it would truly be appreciated by all if mr Eugene would change his mind and continue his efforts for EAX, improved 3D Surround and more features such as full headphone support.

He came this far with the driver, why stop, finish the damn project or atleast make a public license on the software so someone else can finish the job.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

most of what you've said has been covered more than once
    no eax until CL feels like releasing the specs
    no public license as eugene has signed several NDA's in relation to CL's architecture

your attitude is simply not acceptable

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It has only been 5 months since the latest update (3538j was release in January). Eugene can only do so much. Some bugs may be harder to resolve than others (especially bugs that only happen to some people), and Eugene never promised some of the things mentioned above (i.e. EAX). Do not pretend to represent everyone in the forum, other people can speak for themselves.

5. PooshhMao

PooshhMao New Member

Hi,

It's a valid point though, and a pretty frustrating situation to be in.
    Eugene being busy and not interested anymore - fair enough that.

Being under NDA, that's alright too. The core driver - the part that deals with the kX architecture - is pretty much finished anyway, apart from a few bugs.

I can't see how Creative can meddle with anything other than that - they've got fuck all
    to say about everything else besides the driver, have they?...

That's what Eugene should publicize - the complete package, with the secret stuff kept secret.

I'm extremely motivated to develop the project myself further, and this is a healthy discussion to keep kX alive, as long as people remain polite. Let's keep it going.

Opinions please!

6. Tiger M

Tiger M kX user

There's no secret stuff, take a look at a linux driver and better yet - at mpxPlay..

I think it's normal for kX to fade with time, since most cards it supports are not produced anymore. Perhaps when there's a linux driver for X-fi it could be further developed.

7. PooshhMao

PooshhMao New Member

I think it's normal for kX to fade with time, since most cards it supports are not produced anymore.

There are still hundreds of thousands of supported cards in use today I'm sure.

8. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

For the most part, if people really wanted to continue or work on drivers of this type, they should look at the availible Linux code and work from there. I mean, it's not hard to get permissions and agreements from companies if you wish to extend support for various projects. Just contact Creative as Eugenehad done and attempt to contact him when you have this done. I'm sure some sort of team work can be made after that is done.
    I don't know why people go and buy a card without knowing for sure if it's going to be supported or not first. I'm not even sure if it's a good idea to put X-fi code into the same driver set as kx. Keeping it separate would probably be a better idea.

9. DK-1

DK-1 New Member

Why is there even discussion about Eugene discontinuing to develop KX. Has EUGENE said he is not going to work KX? If he has so what!!! he has taken a driver that was not suitable for anything except making SOME games sound decent, and turned it into drivers that really compare to expensive professional drivers. Would we prefer to have the drivers that came with our SB cards? It is surprising that some of the same people that have benefited from Eugene's work now bash him for not completing work on KX!!! Personally if he stops right here with the current version we will all still be better off than if he never started KX. Let me see.... A 49.00 soundcard with drivers that turn the card into a 299.00 soundcard, and people are complaining. If Eugene has decided to stop working KX I say BEST OF LUCK EUGENE, AND THANK YOU FOR SOME TRULY INCREDIBLE WORK. But I will refer back to my first question... Has Eugene said he will not be working on KX, or are people simply shooting off their mouths?

DK-1

10. peate

peate Active Member

I agree. kX makes the Soundblaster worth keeping, when I discovered I had 6 mono inputs to work with and more with spdif on a 100 dollar card, I was more than happy.

And best of all, it's Free, so wtf are you complaing about. If you want EAX, get Creative.

11. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

Besides, the project's not dead. There's still room for more plugins and addons. If people want to extend the functionality, they should atleast go in those directions.

And I mean, from the beginning of the project, it was stated these drivers are for music creation and that was it.

There's still skinning that can be done to mixer itself, which, I think I'll give it another go soon. :)

There is a lot of things users 'can' do to keep a project going even if they don't know too much about programming. Stuff like that keeps projects thriving.

We have a soundfont engine that could use soundfonts made with KX drivers in mind. Lex has a drum vsti that could use folks donating samples to. I'm sure people out there has drum kits they could sample. ;)

12. DDRRE

DDRRE New Member

Bump.

13. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Eugene only checks into the forum once in a while, if you have a question for him, then send him an email, instead of asking kX *users* things that only he can answer. Last I heard, kX is not dead, but if you want confirmation, then ask him directly.

14. PooshhMao

PooshhMao New Member

I've done that, a couple of months ago I sent him a private message. I never got a reply.
    I've sent an email a while after, never been replied either.

15. airyck

airyck New Member

I'd be happy if it just made it to 24bit then it's all plugins from there ;) :hmm: :drool:

16. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

17. DDRRE

DDRRE New Member

That was written in Dec 2005. :|

18. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

not dead, but definitely posponed.
    I will post current status
    E.