kX drivers too unstable - had to uninstall after a year of frustration :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pootle, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Pootle

Pootle New Member

I love the kX drivers but they crash too often on my Audigy. A couple of times a day the sound disappears or beeps/screeches, as well-documented on these forums. My wife got VERY frustrated because when she wanted to play a video she so often had to ask me why there was no sound.

Until this problem is fixed I've reluctantly gone back to the Creative drivers.

Are there any other drivers I should try?

2. pro d

pro d New Member

Îòâåò: kX drivers too unstable - had to uninstall after a year of frustration :(

I don't have any problem with this driver at all;
    use kx since version 3534 on 10k1..

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

They are stable for me too, but I'm running XP, I've read vista has this problem sometimes. Which driver versions have you tried?

4. Pootle

Pootle New Member

I've tried 3545b and 3541, they both behave the same. I'm on XP home, card is an Audigy SB0092.

5. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

I have Audigy SB0090 here, which is similiar to yours. It runs very fine and without problems since the famous kX3534 driver package was released; now with 3541. I think, your OS or your computer must have an issue somehow.

6. Pootle

Pootle New Member

Is this a notably stable release?

Well, the problems I have are well-documentd on this forum. I'm not the only one.

7. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

So if the problems are known: isn´t there any solution, e.g. changing player applications, tweaking windows and / or get the newest motherboard drivers or similar?

8. Pootle

Pootle New Member

I've tried WMP, foobar, 1by1, MPC - it's exactly the same in each application. My drivers are up-to-date. I've tried tweaking the buffer settings in the kX driver.
    Other users have reported the same problems.

I think the consensus is that it is something to do with PCI interrupt priority? There is a thread here http://www.driverheaven.net/bug-reports/26491-constant-beeping-noise-instead-audio-playback-2.html which discusses the problem and fixes. Some fixes worked for some people, but it was never fully resolved.

9. Tyrsonswood

That's an old thread.... not saying that problem isn't related to yours, just that was an older driver version than what you have tried.

I have the SB0090 also, yours is an SB0092 which is probably an OEM card, (maybe Dell) ... there may be a subtle difference there. Should still work properly for you...... but the cards are not exactly the same from what I've read.

Also when you changed driver versions are you sure you had a complete un-install of the old? I did have one system that didn't do a complete un-install and was trying to use a mixed set of KX drivers..... If I recall correctly it was 3541 that did this..... I was switching to 3538 and ended up with a mix of both. Needless to say it didn't work correctly...... but not the same problem you are having, just saying it can happen.

In your original post you asked about other drivers...... I've never used them but the PAX drivers are popular and Robert, who writes them, is on DH also. If you can't get the KX drivers sorted, maybe trying those.... it would at least tell you, it is or isn't, a hardware issue. I'm not sure if you have tried the card in a different PCI slot...... This can sometimes help sort out issues also

10. Pootle

Pootle New Member

Thanks to all for your swift replies.

It IS a Dell OEM card.

Well, the Creative drivers work without problems. It could still be a hardware issue, as they may interact differently with the PCI interrupt stack... or summink.

What advantage does PAX have over the Creative drivers?

Tried that!

What driver version are you using with your SB0090?

11. Tyrsonswood

Right now I'm running the latest 3545b drivers on my SB0090, also on a few different LIVE! cards. (I have several systems and multiple cards in two of them for music production, this shouldn't make any difference concerning your problem) I've also run 3538i and m, and 3541 on the SB0090. (on an Intel mobo with a P4 2.8 and XP SP3)

I've also run the same card on an older Dell with Win2K SP4 using the 3534 driver set, at the moment I'm contemplating moving my Audigy to an AMD system I just put together...... I only mention all this because both my card and the KXdrivers have been very adaptable for me without much problem (just the un-install issue I mentioned in my last post)

From what I've read about the pax drivers, they work when creative's drivers won't, like for OEM cards in non OEM machines, and they also sound better because Robert tweaks them for better sound. Again I haven't used them and don't follow every post concerning them, but Robert is a great guy and very helpful when things don't work quite right.

12. weenerdog

weenerdog New Member

if you are a poor musician with an audigy 2 zs, kx 3545b is a GOD SEND :)

thanks eugene and everyone else!!!

love,
    weenerdog

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  13. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Is that a nForce 2 board? My friend had similar issues with it, and never fixed it.

14. Tyrsonswood

I've heard of this "incompatability" between nForce 2 and creative cards but never experianced it. I was receintly looking for an old socket A board and stayed away from nForce 2 chipset because of this issue.

EDIT: But the problem was there with creative drivers also, not just KX. Seems it works for the OP with creative drivers.... or at least I got that impression.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009