kX Effects Quality

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by dj_stick, Jul 22, 2004.

?

kX Effects Quality

1. High Quality, but high on resources

74 vote(s)
    88.1%
  2. Medium Quality, but low on resorces

10 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

put a low-pass filter and see how that works

2. PIsaacson

PIsaacson New Member

How about high on quality and low on resouces to allow more complex DSP algorithms? For my pipe organ project, I need to duplicate the sonic ambiance of a church or cathedral ala Acoustic Mirror, but I guess a 10k2 just doesn't have the resources to do FIR convolutions, even when partitioned?

3. Dimi

Dimi New Member

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Im a musician from Greece and i create "electronic music". That would be everything from Chill-Out to Techno. I found the kx-driver yesterday and i found it very useful. It gives me more opportunities than i had so i am more free in the way i make music. I haven't fully tested the driver yet but i can tell you it was "love @ 1st sight". I was just browsing through the Forum and saw this thread. So i just wanted to say "thank you" and keep up the superb work. Your driver will from now on be part of my music.

I haven't voted but i have something on my mind.. isn't it possible to create an effect, where i can choose the quality inside that effect (hi-mid-lo)? You know, sometimes a sound sounds better, if the quality of the effect is low and sometimes not... ;) but i don't know if this is possible to program...

If you ever need someone to make a startup-sound, system-sounds or whatever please let me know. (don't know if you would like that, since i have turned all system sounds off :lol:)

Oh yeah, please excuse my english... i don't get in contact with english-speaking people that often so i apologize, if i sound strange sometimes ;)

Thanks a lot again

-Dimi

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

do you mean like a bit crusher module? try the stereo decimator plugin

5. Dimi

Dimi New Member

nope, that wasn't what i meant. the question of the voting was
    high qual. on high res. or med. qual. on low. res.?
    so i thought why not select this directly from the effect (whatever effect) but i don't know if this is possible to program. that's why i haven't votet yet :)

6. Tiger M

Tiger M kX user

Quality depends on resource usage, so there are two alternatives
    (of course we're talking about 'real' effects, not gains, vols, mixes etc.):

1. High-quality effects but only a few can be used simultaneously
    2. Low-quality effects and many can be used simultaneously

As the vote shows, people prefer the former alternative, so I see no need for such an option and moreover it would involve a lot of programming, since quality and resource usage both depend on the microcode, which is the core of the effect. So to change the quality you have to change in most cases the whole dsp code - it's like having several separate effects with only one dialog (window) and this is not as practical as having those effects with separate windows.

7. Dimi

Dimi New Member

I see...
    it wouldn't make any sense, to write such effects.

thanks for your explanation Tiger.

8. Samir

Samir kX Lover

I think each MAJOR & complicated effect should have it's LT version... It should not be hard to 'lighten' great deal of souch effects...

9. DMNXS

DMNXS Member

I agree.

10. Tiger M

Tiger M kX user

You think so;)

11. Doug W

Doug W Active Member

I am guessing that the rest of the world updates their computers more than I do, so I usually have a slower machine than most. I have cast my vote. Thanks for the work.

Doug

12. Blento

Blento New Member

Hi al..im not new here....maybe 2 years ago i got my Audigy card and im using kx drivers since then....
    i read that you like to hear our feedback...well here is...
    i thinks that it's really great drivers..but Audigy sucks for homerecording....
    maybe for games and mp3-a is good...
    no matter what kind of ammount of effects i've used..i couldnt get sound like in proffesional musician gets with their instruments....enven thou i have a nice equipmnet (guitar..Boss effects, Wah wah...nice speakers...etc)....
    the main problem is that i cant get that rich sound that they have...for instance Pearl jam.....no matter what i did..i couldnt get same sound....
    my Epiphone guitar sounded like a shit in compare to their guitars....
    when i plug in Marshall pickup..i get much much better sound....
    maybe you sould create some DSP connections to get at least similar sounds like some bands have....i think it the major problemm...
    if we have that DSP setup..and try to compare our equipment with that song..and we hear differences...then we could see what we need to change...guitar..pickup...mic..or something else....this way...i dont know..and it's frustrateing...
    If you dont know what i mean...let's say ...you take a Smoke on a watter and see how much reverb they use..chours...etc....put it in DSP ...and share it...

It's probably hard to do..but it would be great..anyway...thanks for great job ;)