KX help file change for A2 cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maddogg6, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I made a new P16V routing illustration that (IMHO) better explains the relavence of the KX 24/96 router for A2 cards.

Its a minor change - and I *think* its correct... but I think it could help others.

I made it for inclusion of KX heklp file. -providing its not gonna cause more confusion. It was something that wasn't very clear to me.

http://members.cox.net/md6/10KX2_24_96.jpg

let me know if I made a mistake - I'll fix it.

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

From your diagram, it looks as though everything goes through the 24/96 router (even non 24/96 content), is that correct? Where are the AC97 outputs?

In any case, I am just curious, I do not know anything about it (as you know).

3. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Ok -
    AFAIK - ALL inputs get routed into the P16V - (or what ever is selected in KX Mixer main page 'P16V record source' I presume??)
    The 24/96 router - then allows switching if its sent to what output(s). - So yes, its correct in that sense. But the original drawing makes no mention of the P16V record source selection.
    So, if this can be confirmed or denied - I will make appropriate changes to the drawing.

The AC92 outputs ?? - its shown in the original drawing (see the KX help file Appendix A 'Technical specs' - Audigy2/P16V Signal Flow.
    Me thinks this is the AC972 (UDA) ?? that AC97 signals can be routed through and seems like a higher quality codec.
    Again, It would be appreciated if someone can confirm this.

edit:

I had left out the AC97 output - because Im not exactly sure HOW its implemeted - Its NOT shown in KX24/96 Router..?? IE - is it paralleling the I2S - or SPDIF..???

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did see the (Audigy2 / P16V Routings) diagram in kX Help, but it didn't show the 24/96 Router block like in your diagram, so I was wondering about that stuff. In any case, we shall see if anyone has any info/corrections, etc.

5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Also - if you look at the 'KX SIGNAL FLOW DIAGRAM' - it shows that the AC97 is ONLY connected to inputs and NOT outputs - Thus Im thinking that there IS NO AC97 out on A2's - ?? - its just I2S or SPDIF - or both concurrently.

6. SUN

SUN New Member

Hello Maddogg6,

updates are always welcome... ;-)

Anyone knows the changes in my SB0280 (Audigy 2 Platinum eX)
    This has no AC97 in its Case... :) and no Audio-Connectors on Board...

Noise without Signal Line1-3: -84dB

Greetings,
    SUN alias DJ Sunnie

7. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

It would seem sub-sections to the help file with card specific details could be implemented - but my original intent was to illustrate how the KX 24/96 router fits into that disgram. When first getting aqainted with KX - that seemed the most 'mysterious' for a noob like me. So I guess, it is also confirming my understanding of the 24/96 routers role.

Furthermore: If you you could provide diagrams of the connections for your card model - could probably help others out, may inspire new 'mods' or something.. ???

8. Samir

Samir kX Lover

Good work Maddogg6, i was looking forward for an diagram like yours... We should add AC97 in it (just to make it more complicated)... In few days I'll have more time to spare & we'll try to sort this out...

9. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Thanks Samir,

I more than willing to make it 'complete'.

I would also like to indicate how the switches in the KX mixer are related also. (P16V recording, SPDIF direct record, etc..)

But I dont understand the 'recording' path well enough to accurately include it in that picture.

I also don't *completely* understand how to illustrate the AC97-2 routing.

10. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I ended up making a more comprehensive drawing - that I think would have helped me out as a noob.

It seems correct by how I understand my cards routings.

But there are probably errors. so WARNING TO NEWBIES: Information has NOT been confirmed.

Its here

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

That looks looks pretty good (more logical pathways than the first diagram).

12. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Its definitly more complete than the first.. hehe , but I'm hoping to get some feedback on its 'correctness'

The AC97-2 part in particular - something seems wrong with my drawing but to change maybe fruitless until its confirmed wrong and some extra knowledge is posted so I can correct properly.

13. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Update:

I made some changes to this drawing.

I have questions about the P16V record dropdown - it shows 10K2 1; 10K2 2; 10K2 3; - But I dont know what they are..

Other than that....
    I think A2ZS Users will find it helpfull - if anyone can describe differences for NON ZS cards - I will include notes - or even make one specific drawing for that card.

14. Samir

Samir kX Lover

@ Maddogg6 & Russ:

This is becoming more & more complicated! Unfortunately, i'm busier than ever these days... I'll try to make some corrections / updates by the end of the week. I think i understand AC97.2 path as i made some experiments few months ago. Also, i think that A2's input stage is little bit different...

Difference between ZS and non-ZS cards are related to analog outputs only! non-ZS is 6.1 (7 analog outputs), and ZS is 7.1 (or 8.1? = 8 or 9 analog outputs).

15. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

OMG - I fixed the HUGE - AC97 routing error -
    Anyway - fixed it

Oh and I added KX Synths too.

Edit: I made many changes.

16. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Ok - this drawing was meant to give a better explanation of some of the settings in the KX mixer that I don't beleive to be PLUGIN/DSP dependant, as well as explain the signal routings.
    I beleive it would have helped explain the system as a whole to me as a noob.

I've gone over this drawing several times - and made many changes over time, and as far as I can tell - makes logical sense to how my card acts. -Thus why I labled it for ZS models.
    I have gone over it several times, but it does have questions in red text, or things I am un-sure of.

If anyone confirm anything or make corrections - please post them here.

Thanks.

17. Smiro

Smiro New Member

Great diagram, very thankfull. Allthought i have some questions that the diagram didn't answer.

1.Between the wave outs 0/1, 4/5, 6/7, 8/9 which one has the best quality with less cpu processing and which one the worst.

I read somewhere in all this knowledge around kx project that wave 0/1 is used for mulichannel output so it takes more of cpu. Does this apply to the default DSP settings or is a hardware thing?

The same question i got for the ASIO outputs, whick one should i use as my master out on cubase for max quality and less cpu?

2.Also i read that ASIO x/y => Wave x/y, but wave 2/3 doesn't exist thought ASIO 2/3 exist. Someone clear this plz.

3. If i use in my winamp say wave HQ out and put in the DSP i have attacheed the p1v module wired to the mixer, will that give me better sound and less cpu on wavesound playback?

4. Settings/setup buffers, what is this utitlity for exactly ? ASIO ?

5.If i use Wave HQ how can i pass the signal through my dsp and mantain 24/96 quality?
    Using the p16v output where i got now the Asio/Wave in 6/7 without changing nothing else at the dsp will give me 24/94 playback? Assuming that in the 24/96 router the only open link is from 10k2-->i2s outs.

To be short, here is my dsp settings attached as inage and as a file, where i have some automations using midi of the front and rear volumes and the signal from stereo to mono. Plz give me opinion!

According to this DSP, i use Asio 4/5 as master out of cubase, secondary Cubase output Asio 8/9 and default output for windows and winamp wave out 6/7. Deafult recording is wave 0/1, couldn't change that and didn't want to mess with wave HQ. Btw i have set the device to 16/48 (8&8).

PS: A bug in 3538j is that i cannot right click in the empty space of the DSP.

http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3RBYSIK5GQ5AI1NTL4JXYZZO60

Driver Version: 5.10.00.3538 - debug
    DB Name:none
    SB0244 10k2 [d800]
    PCI Information:
    Device: 41102 Subsys: 10071102 ChipRev: 4
    Card is '10k2'
    Card has MPU device
    Card model is '5.1'
    Card is Audigy2-compatible
    Card HAS AC97 codec
    Codec name: SigmaTel STAC9721/23
    3D Extension: SigmaTel 3D Enhancement
    Codec is 2.0 compliant
    Capabilities[6940] :
    DAC resolutions : -16-bit- -18-bit-
    ADC resolutions : -16-bit- -18-bit-
    Ext Capabilities [200]: -slot/DAC mappings-
    Port: d800 Irq: 0x5(5)
    Playback buffer: 20a0
    Record buffer: 4000
    Number of AC3 buffers: 4
    Tank memory: 256 kb
    GSIF buffer: 256 samples
    OS version: [2 5 1 Service Pack 2; 2 5 1 Service Pack 2; 156 148]
    ----------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  18. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

ASIO shares the fxbus with wave, so some will match up, some won't

check the kX Router for the assignments of each channel

19. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

That bug is carried over from 3538i (3538i Bug Reports thread (post #36)).

To fix:
    Close any open kX windows.
    Check (enable) "Show window content while dragging" in kX settings.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  20. Smiro

Smiro New Member

Thanks Russ that worked. How bout the other questions of my post? Someone plz answer.

Thanx in advance for your time.