kX Project Status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Dec 28, 2005.

1. nordlicht

nordlicht New Member

Ok, this isn't an attack or something but....whar are those drivers good for? It's really a serious question. As far as I can see they don't give me anything the original Drivers couldn't. Ok, there are some nice apps built in, but those I can get as freeware as well. Many things are buggy or not working/supportet and I guess there is a much greater group of programmers needed to keep KX up to date and bugfree. So what is the common sense of this Project?

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It depends on how you want to use your sound card. If you have a 10k1 based card, then there is no ASIO support (low latency/real time recording) offered by Creative at all. There are hardware effects/plugins not offered by Creative, as well as the ability to create your own (again this is hardware based (in the DSP of the sound card), which means no CPU usage). Additionally, with kX you have advanced signal routing possibilities, that again, is not possible with the Creative driver.

3. bennetng

bennetng New Member

kX also supports MIDI automation for nearly every DSP plugins, as well as GSIF2. I cannot find any other freeware can make a 10kx card supports these features.

4. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

I know with creative lab's drivers, you can't be in the middle of a project, get stuck for a certain sound you need. Throw open a text editor and create a quick plugin, or filter. Then load it without having to restart your recording application.

I'd also like to see a set of creativelab drivers that are bug free.

But for the flexability kx gives for it's asio engine is a great plus.. offering many ways to use the engine then what creative gives. gsif is a nice feature, however, now adays even apps that required it allows rewire. But I still prefer to use gsif if it's there.

I also think the drivers take a more minimalistic approach then anything. And to be honest, I've had KX up and running on 2 machines, and yes I play games with them... but I've not had any more or less problems then I would with creative's ones.

And one thing you have to ask... When it comes to doing anything creative, music, art, etc... the biggest killer of ideas is the amount of time it takes to setup. How much time does it take to set a up KX recording session vs a creativelabs one. Personally, by the time I got done scouring for vsts and fiddling with creative's way of routing, I'd already lost what I was going to do. KX... I route and go.. :D it's that simple....

5. RvC-Kenny

RvC-Kenny New Member

i really hope for 64bit winxp/2003 support. i gonna spend some money again next month and hope some others will follow.

6. BboyDubC

BboyDubC New Member

Will there be any improved decoding of AC3 via spdif input in the minor improvements? Currently the decoding method is really slow and leads to a noticable delay between on screen events from an external source and the sound through the speakers via analog. Thanks.