kX ver. 3551 has become unstable in Win 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kosketus, Mar 19, 2013.

1. kosketus

kosketus Member

Hello

I was proud of myself for having managed to install and get kX working in Win 8 (largely thanks to Iceman's invaluable tips and registry fixes, plus Russ's guidance).

I might've known it was too good to last. I've been experimenting with trying to get DScaler installed and functioning these last two days, and since I began to do that kX has been behaving oddly - which can hardly be coincidence. I get messages coming up telling me it's having to close (several times). I tried uninstalling/reinstalling kX - twice (reinstating Iceman's registry fixes each time) - but since then it's closed itself again. The latest thing is that I'm now suddenly unable to register ProFx311_51 any more - when I click on it I get an error-message: "invalid plugin library". Consequently I can't load any of my plugins into the DSP any more - so no DSP.

Can anyone suggest what I could try?

2. akinkhoo

akinkhoo New Member

i switch back to 3550, set it to windows 7 compatibility mode and all my DSP work properly again...

:duh:

3. kosketus

kosketus Member

@ akinkhoo

Hi

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately, I'm now having to try to sort-out a more fundamental glitch which is mucking-up everything and until this is sorted I can't try-out any fixes for kX.

I'll get back to you after a few days.

4. kosketus

kosketus Member

just for completeness...

The fundamental glitch I mentioned isn't yet resolved (my PC just shut itself down in the middle of typing this, for instance), but doesn't seem after all to have had any interconnection with the problems I was having with kX - because those have gone away!

One thing I found (in case it's useful to anyone to know) was that - when having once again opened the DSP, then cleared it, then tried to load my saved settings and getting the same error-message as I reported previously - I then right-clicked and from the context-menu selected each of the add-ons I had saved but which were now refusing to load, for each of them (in turn) I got the message (something like) "this add-on is wrong, would I like to un-register it?" I answered 'yes' each time. After doing that, then re-registering ProFx311_51, my saved settings loaded.

Because of the afore-mentioned glitch I've still not yet been able to test whether the problem I was having trying to get DScaler to work with kX is still there. So, if I find that it is I'll probably be back :bleh:

Btw, each time I shut-down and reopen Win 8 I have to re-load kX Mixer 32-bit from the 'Start' screen. I suppose this must be because I've un-enabled it in the Startup folder following Iceman's advice. If so, I guess that that minor irritation can't be overcome? Or is there another way...?

Iceman...? Anyone...?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  5. kosketus

kosketus Member

following-up...

I've been reading a few threads, searching for clues. I see that in this thread http://www.hardwareheaven.com/bug-reports/206607-3551-bugs.htmlseveral posters reported that tweaking the ADC plugin (ie double-clicking) caused kX Mixer to crash.

Well I haven't been double-clicking (apart from when opening it) but, once opened, I have been 'tweaking' it - eg ganging rec source, altering both sources from the default to 'line', adjusting the recording-level. I think that the error-message has been coming up only when I've done this (the message btw says "kX Mixer has stopped working. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available", with a button saying "close program", which is odd).

So it appears that what I'm experiencing is just another instance of an already-reported bug.

What, if anything, can I do about this?

6. rosemonkey88

rosemonkey88 New Member

I guess this is because you are running kxmixer of Kx3551 64bit from c:/program files/ directory instead of c:/program files (x86)/ , as far as I know this plugin is only working for 32bit.
    try to change registry let kx start up from 32bit directory's kxmixer, this problem should disappear, I think.

try to regedit :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    to C:\Program Files (x86)\kX Project\kxmixer.exe --startup

but I encountered another problem that's this plugin makes kxmixer crash from time to time for unknown reasons, especially when you try to edit the DSP. still trying hard to figure it out. hope someone else has some clues.

windows 8 professional, 64bit, 16GBRAM, have tried several SB sound cards incl. SB0350.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  7. kosketus

kosketus Member

rosemonkey

Not sure what gave you the idea that I'm "running kxmixer of Kx3551 64bit from c:/program files/ directory..." I am actually running the 32-bit version, from c:/program files (x86)/

But anyway, it sounds as though you're experiencing exactly the same problem (with the same version) as me. And I've just found that it isn't linked to any bug in the ADC plugin, because it's just happened when I double-clicked on k2lt.

I'm hoping one of the gurus will chime in!

Last edited: May 24, 2013