LAN Party

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by godrugal0, Apr 10, 2006.

1. godrugal0

godrugal0 New Member

Hey folks, me and a few pals are wanting to set up our first lan party, any suggestions on what we will need. We dont want to connect online just system to system. Also would we be able to run backup copies on a local area network.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

some network cables, a hub, power, enough to drink/eat...
    guys, fill me in if i forget anything

3. godrugal0

godrugal0 New Member

We have a d-link , plenty of power and food and drink. Any type of cables in particullar

4. Drakon

Drakon New Member

You forgot the girls in the skimpy clothing :D

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

IMO, a router (even if your not connecting to the net). If you have over 4 people playing, ADD a 5 port Hub, (connecting 1 port from the router to the center port on a 5 port hub). This will increase it to 7 players..... need more? Get another hub.... (would be best to get a very large hub)

I recommend a router because they are a DHCP Server, hubs don't have this. With a Router, combined with several hubs, or several machines, it makes for ALOT easier setup.

Network cable? Lots, several cables of several lengths, i'd suggest mapping out how your going to setup everyone. Where they are going to sit.. and how to have your router/hubs sitting and connected. Perferably keep the router/hubs completely OUT of the way. Run all the cables you need to it.

Power is obvious, to be on the safe side, keep 3 machines to a single circut/breaker. (15amp is standard, @ around TOPS 5 Amps per machine).

Make sure no one can yank or trip over cables. if need be, get the duct tape out and start getting a little wild.. but neat... with it.

Learn from this one, be prepared for the next.

And consider this, be prepared to have at least 1 person having problems connecting.

And also remember, you want to share files or see the same printers or whatever?

Right click MY COMPUTER~> Hit Properties~>Computer Name~> Click CHANGE button~>Choose Workgroup and make EVERYONE have the EXACT same workgroup. Be Forwarned, viruses pass through workgroups and networks very quickly.

6. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

you can use backup copies, but some games will reference CD keys, so you'll need a unique seial for everyone there.

And from past experiences, dont try and eat there, have enough car space for everyone to make a midnight taco bell run or something instead, and justs tock a fridge full of mtn dew :)

as for equipment, a router [obviously with enough slots for each person], uplink as needed, and also, you'll want enough room for everything too...church fellowship halls work well, as do empty garages....and folding tables work well....2-3 machines per table

7. TJ-

TJ- New Member

if hes not going online he wont need a unique key right,...

8. shadowfield

shadowfield New Member

plus a router breaks up the broadcast domain

take that cisco training!

9. the big Firefly

the big Firefly New Member

I see you have a D-Link. me too. well i went to a lan this past friday and saterday. id say your D-Link is a switch right. and is it a 8 port or more? then that is the main thing. then 1 cable for every player. some food. drinks. and atleast a nice big space for every player to be comfortable in. and then ofcaurse games to play. depending on what games you play here is some thats realy nice at a lan:

Call of duty 1 or 2
    CS 1.6/condition zero/sourse
    unreal tournament 2004
    warcraft dota
    diablo 2(if your like to play one game for a long time)
    halo
    qauke 3 arena/4

thats all i can think of right now so enjoy if. believe me ones you lan once you will want to lan more and more. well that is if the first lan is fun>:)

10. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Amen to that, my friends and I have been doing this regularly for about 5 years and still it always happens!!!

OK, so you will need a multiport router, lots of cables in varying lengths and plenty of power sockets, make sure your fridge has plenty of space for other peoples drinks not just your own, turn your central heating OFF believe me you won't need it once you've got all those machines running...

and my biggest tip, decide what you're playing in advance and make sure that everyone has at least got the same version of each game installed before they get there, otherwise you'll waste loads of time installing and patching stuff rather than actually playing!!

Oh and have fun, sleep is for wusses, and its an excuse to live off takeaways for a weekend!!

11. JDwoods[TeamATi]

JDwoods[TeamATi] New Member

Depending on how many are going to be there you might want a secondary machine just to run the game server. Download the server clients for the games you want to play ahead of time and get familiar with the setup. This way you aren't trying to host the game from your box and play at the same time.

And to answer Z!ON's question yes he will need separate keys. Games like BF2 check the CD key even if you are playing on a local area network. If someone is in the game already with that key you will not be allowed to join the server.

12. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i wasnt invited to LANS any more after i broke several folding tables... even the reinforced folding table bowed under the weight of my monitor. onlything i didn break, to the best of my knowledge, was the ping pong table.

13. Judas

your got a uranium case or what?

14. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

All LAN parties are sausagefests. I second the women in skimpy clothing.

15. Dark Lord

im positive i would have completly broke the tables if i put my case on it.

this was just my monitor. a 21" from about 1996 or so. weights in some where around 90-95LBS.

16. Judas

typically tabes are to withstand at least 200 pounds in a rather center point...

i've had 3 21" monitors on a fold out table....

i've seen 3 250 pound plus people standing on them kind of tables

17. JDwoods[TeamATi]

JDwoods[TeamATi] New Member

Please tell me you have upgraded since then.

18. Calinerti

Calinerti New Member

I live in Arizona, and of course its hot here, but I found that with even 5 machines running with 5 monitors and 5 sweaty drinkers, the heat soon became unbearable. I had to crank up my air conditioning and even then I needed a fan blowing through the room. Was a blast all the same, and of course the next time I had all fans and AC already setup.

19. godrugal0

godrugal0 New Member

Thanks again for all your help guys, we are now well underway to our first lan party. Just got to pick the games and do a dummy run with 3/4 pcs.
    Cheers[​IMG]

20. Dark Lord

finaly got a new monitor about 2 months ago. that old 21 inch beast is sitting less then 4 feet from me right now.