Laptop in storage what's next?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I had my original laptop in storage for over 2 years. It was in just a single bubble wrap cover and inside a large box with other things like magazines etc. The box was not sealed, but the main storage facility apparently was.

I received the box(es) today and checked the laptop, it was there, no humidity or anything aparent, in fact, although the box was basicaly open, there wasn't even a tiny bit of dust or anything. Impressed.
    The battery was dead 2.5 years ago or so when I last used it, so I bet it is not working now either. The question is, shall I just remove the battery, plug in the laptop and switch it on, or do something else first?

I have no plans using the laptop, it is useless to me, but it would be nice to know if it works so that I might sell it or something.

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I see no problems with that. The BIOS battery might be gone too by now though, and can be cumbersome to replace on some laptops. Knock on wood!

3. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

i would recomend to just plug in the power supply for the notebook and leave it like that for a few hours (4, 5 hours would be perfect ;) ). that would give the battery enough time to recharge... if it was designed so that the battery recharges even if the notebook is off...

i don't think the BIOS battery is dead... at least not in that kind of time period... too short for the BIOS battery to just go dead... if it actually is dead (knock on wood as mkk wrote ;) ), might be a good idea to just leave the notebook plugged into the power supply (battery charger) for a day or two, maybe the BIOS battery will recharge and it will be usable again ;)... i did this once to an old PC a friend of mine gave to me, so i guess it could work on the notebook ;).

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

you could sell it and make yourself and somebody else happy ;)

5. Son_of_Thunder

Son_of_Thunder New Member

Very true, depending on the price I would be happy to buy it ;)

6. Trusteft

I don't have the original box, plus what about p&p to the USA?

7. Son_of_Thunder

Son_of_Thunder New Member

Original box be damned, but I'm not sure about shipping and fees on it. What are the specs and what would you ask for it though?

8. Trusteft

I am going to buy some screwdrivers tomorrow to check the laptop inside if there are any problems, then turn it on to see if it runs as it should.
    Mind you the battery is definetely dead.

As for shipping, I don't have the time today, but I will ask on Monday.

If the system works as it should it depends on the shipping costs.
    Let's wait to see if it works properly then we can discuss selling it.