Laptop with HDMI question.

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by Customgamer1, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

So I am getting into the market for a good laptop.

I have gotten away from PC gaming and would like a nice laptop with all the features I want built in.

I was looking around on Newegg and found a nice HP. It has a blu-ray player in it that I would like since HD-DVD lost, but have a question about the HDMI port that not only this laptop has but others with HDMI as well.

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion DV9750US(KC349UA) NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7250(2.00GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 3GB 500GB 5400rpm Blu-ray Disc / Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS - Retail

Of course HDMI will pass the HD picture through to the TV, but my question is will it pass sound?

I just want to know if it will pass sound. If it does thats great, but I more interested in if it will pass the advanced audio codec's like Dolby True HD, DTS Master, PCM from the blu-ray movies?

I would love to have this or any of the laptops I pick to be able to hook this up to my tv and receiver and have it act just like a blu-ray stand alone.

Also if anyone has any laptops they recommend for $1,600 or less that has a lot of features including blu-ray, IR, lots of hard drive space etc please let me know!

Thanks in advance. (sorry Sony laptops are out of the question)

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

It really depends on if the laptop is capable of outputting sound via the HDMI cable. Take the x2600 Pro. The ones that come with HDMI use a Realtek chip to output sound through the HDMI connection (also known as ATI HDMI Audio). However, I have seen some that don't, and only offer video out.

If I remember the specs for it correctly, HP mentioned "digital video and audio output" as being on that laptop. Which audio chip is in this one though... that I can't remember. HP uses both Realtek and Conexant HD chips, so your guess is as good as mine. For the best decisive answer I'd call HP, and ask them directly.

BTW, if you decide to get that notebook, get the extended warranty from HP. You'll need it.

3. Customgamer1

Well thanks Tipstaff you always come through it seems when I ask a question ;)

Anyways I will have to look into that, but what is the main things that are wrong with HP? Why do I need the extended warranty?

I just want a good laptop that is around the same price or less that has HDMI, and a blu-ray drive. I am really new to this so I really don't know what I should be looking for.

4. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Are you gonna be using the laptop for playing Blu-Ray discs on your TV only? If so, I would probably go for a laptop without these features and put the money saved towards a stand alone player.
    As for the extended warranty, I agree with tipstaff - I used to fix HP laptops for a living and they do have a habit of the most hard to replace / expensive parts failing. I'm not saying they fail all the time but if it does it will be a pain.

5. Customgamer1

No I plan to use this or any laptop I get to be a very good computer that can also play blu-ray movies.

I figure that instead of buying both a laptop and a blu-ray player I should just look for a laptop that can do both!

The extended 2 year plan is like a extra $100 lol... If the hard drive goes I can buy a new one for that.. Of course if the motherboard or blu-ray drive goes bad I would be covered... Guess its something to think about.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So you mean you don't get 2 year coverage/protection by law?

7. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

The rules vary from country to country. You get 12 months in the UK and I believe you only get a couple of months in the US.

8. Tipstaff

On top of what Logla mentioned, the other reason I was saying to get the extended warranty is that out of all the laptops I've sold over the years, HP is the one I send in for repair the most (2nded by Compaq and Toshibas consumer line). Almost always, coincidentally, right before or right after the 1 year warranty is up on them. Over the last year I've sent in 8 HP laptops (ranging from the DV6000 to DV9000 series, both last years, and this years models) due to them either overheating quickly causing them to constantly shut down, or the motherboard dies on them. I just find that HP laptops that have been produced over the last 2 years, on average, don't last a year. If they do, it's a miracle.

Due to my experience with them I'd normally suggest something else. In fact I've stopped selling HP laptops unless a client really really begs me to get them one. However, since not every HP laptop is a lemon (because I'd be lying if I said otherwise), and you are willing to give them a shot, my best advice is to proceed with caution, and get the extended warranty. Odds are, you will need it.

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've sent away 3 hps/2compaqs.... 2 toshiba (consumer line as well)... and 1 dell as well...

And i sent away 1 acer.. but it was a refurbed model that was dirt cheap... just a dud.... replaced within 1 week.. (i was suprised when i got it back..... fast as hell... i can't even receive or send a package that quick...)

10. Customgamer1

Ok thanks for the advice.

Question is, what is a good laptop? I understand they tend to have more problems than desktops, but I don't plan to abuse my laptop or bring it around with me everywhere I go. I just want a easy way to pick up and go if I need to!

So if anyone is willing to rank these laptops in order from best to worse please give it a go!

HP
    Compaq
    Toshiba
    Gateway
    Sony
    Acer

11. Tipstaff

Do I have to? <sigh> Ok. But, I'm adding a couple.

Lenovo - Best laptops. Period. However they are not ment to be multimedia laptops. The next laptop I get is going to be one of these (probably a T series). This is the first laptop I recommend to all my business clients that intend to travel, and rely heavily on their laptop. They are, without a doubt, the Timex watch of laptop (for the children here, that's "They take a licking, and keep on ticking."... God I feel old). The only problem I have with them right now is that they got rid of a few of their units that came with a 3 year warranty, so all of them now have 1 year, and you purchase the extended. Not a big deal though. I also don't like their N3000 line. They work, but they don't have any style.

Acer/LG - I sell these 2 manufacturers laptops the most. Pretty much split between them. Both have stylish units (LGs are a bit more so), and I have yet to send any of these guys laptops in for repair (with the exception of Acers AMD based units.. those are pure garbage). I had one LG with a dead battery, but LG sent me the replacement, so it doesn't count. :p It pretty much flows like this: if a client wants inexpensive, but reliable with some style, they get Acer. If the client wants style and stable, and is willing to put out a bit more cash, they get LG.

HP Compaq - "HP Compaq? But, don't you hate HP?" Yes, I do, but HP Compaq is HPs business line. It's the part of HP that put as much money into the inards of the machines as they did the outside. Simply put they are way better units than HPs (and Compaqs) consumer line, even if they are not as stylish. Actually, they remind me of Lenovos style. In any case, out of all HP/Compaq laptops this line is the only line I have had little trouble with. Well, at least for the last 2 years (before that I have plenty to say). Look at the 8510p line (under the Performance listing) which come with ATI x2600 graphics, HDMI out, and usually an 8 cell battery. By default they don't come with BD drives, but you can configure a unit to include one, which will cost you an extra $500 or so, bringing the units up to the $2000 range. Oh, and the HP Compaq line, default 3 years parts and labour warranty on ALL of them. Some even have 3 years on-site by default (usually the workstation line though).

Next 3 are tied:

HP - To paraphrase Hersey's: sometimes you get a lemon, sometimes you don't. I have to admit though, for what you get spec wise, you don't pay a lot. Plus, they have some of the most stylish casings for their units. If only they would put some of that money into the inards of the units.

Fujitsu - Fujitsu sell laptops? Not a very known name over here, but they sell more in Asia than they do here cuz they are just waaay over priced here. At least at first. Within 2 or 3 months the prices drop on these so fast it'll make your head spin. I would rank them higher than HP, but most of my clients won't buy them, so I very rarely get to use them to know how well they run over the long haul. However, from what I have gotten to use I liked them a lot. They have stylish units, usually the most expensive ones, but also the ones that come with the best stuff. In the case of BD, they only have 1 unit, the top end 17" Lifebook N6470, which you can take a look at HERE (even if you don't consider it, just read they specs for the thing.. unbelievable). Price for the BD unit: $2300.

Toshiba - I refuse to sell their consumer Satellite line. They are normally garbage (never last long). However, their Satellite Pro (pro-sumer), and Tecra (business line) I sell every now and again. In fact, I have a Tecra S2 myself. Only problem is they aren't for everyone (and.. funny enough.. Toshiba will say that to your face. LOL! ).

Sony - As the saying goes, you pay for the name Sony, not the product. Actually, not only do you pay for the name, but you pay for the style too. AND they aren't even that well built either. They sell the single most "overpriced for what you get" laptops on this planet (ok.. bit of exagerating there). Seriously, 8/9 out of 10 of their laptops, when compared to similarlly priced units would cost less to get from a competitor. However, the other 1 or 2 units? Those just beat the competition. The catch is, those 2 units are usually their most expensive ones.

Compaq - Same as HP without the style. Mind you, since most Compaq units are AMD based I stay clear of them. As such they deserve a much lower score than even Sonys cr@p.

Gateway/Emachines - Until Acer gets a handle on how these guys operates, they'll keep producing low end stuff that either works, or doesn't. How to put this: consider these throw-away laptops. Drop it, who cares. Dies, who cares. In fact, who cares what happens to them. LOL!

How's that for a list? LOL!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
    Customgamer1 likes this.
  12. Judas

Asus has done very well recently with thier laptops..

specially thier ones that can "upgrade" kinda to a point. Little on the heavy side usually but very universal. I've been impressed.. but are definitely more for the enthusiasts.

Only thing with asus is that if you have a problem within 30 days..... even the most minor of issues/glitch/crash that is even slightly out of place... just take it back and get a replacement asap... don't do the "send it away" BS with them.... IMO.

Customgamer1 likes this.
  13. Customgamer1

Thanks Tipstaff! That helped a lot!

Now I am thinking about keeping away from HP notebooks.

The HP compaq line I might look into... But now I have something to go on and look around some more.

The only one I forgot to add in was Dell. Are they one to consider or keep away from?

:) :) :)

14. Judas

i'd take an acer over dell....

15. Tipstaff

Me too. The only time I tell people to buy Dell are the customers I know I don't want to sell to. They are either cheap buggers, people that I don't like to deal with on a personal level, or people that I know will keep coming back to me for stupid little things over and over again, and expecting me to do these little things (which turn out to be big things) for them for free. "No no.. you go buy from Dell, and if you have any problems you come to me, and I'll for you. Then we can both sit here and complain about Dell while I charge you money to fix your computer/laptop." LOL!

I have to say though, I don't like selling laptops for the simple fact that the margin is too low to nill on them. Hell, I've even lost money on them. It's not worth it sometimes. Especially when some of these manufacturers have the nerve to list the MSRP on their site, some even sell directly for that price off their site, and not one of them are bothered by the fact that the MSRP they list is BELOW the cost price the distributor sells it for. Like, come on already.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  16. Judas

lol...

that's why where i live i have the advantage of marking up (course by the time i get done paying for the products i've already paid 15% or better more then what's listed on the manufacturers sites)....

the Acer Aspire 5715z's that just recently released.. weren't even on acer website when i had my hands on them (damn nice little suckers... low on ram, but that's easily fixed for a dirt cheap price... specially if you pick up the OCZ laptop dual 2gb kit or 4gb kits lol)... for roughly 900 bucks a pop.

17. Customgamer1

18. Tipstaff

Speak of the devil, I have one coming in for a client next week (and an Asus F8SN-B1 as well). Supposed to be a good unit, so we'll see. The guy wanted a gaming laptop for himself, and another that was a tad smaller, but had the exact same specs for someone else (the M50Sv-B1 and F8SN-B1 are identical in specs, but one is 15.4 inches, and has Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, the other is smaller at 14.1 inches, and no Blu-Ray/HD-DVD).

BTW, according to the specs it says it has a Blu-Ray reader, however, from what my Asus rep was telling me is that it's a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo reader, and DVD/CD writer.

19. Customgamer1

Well please get back to me if you find out how that laptop is!

I was reading around and it seems people have been liking it!

And considering I already own some HD-DVD's if the drive can play them along with blu-ray its even better!

20. Customgamer1