Laser eye surgery

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What an experience. I went to the doctor first time yesterday, stayed there for about an hour for some tests.
    Came back today, a couple repeats and then the actual surgery.
    It didn't last long and for some reason while I was under the machine with all those strange lights performing the operation all I could think of was Star Trek...weird.

The doctor said it went without a single problem. He gave me like three different types of eye drops to use and he placed some contact lenses for the first 24 hours or so.

From the whole experience three things made a strong impression on me.
    First, the technology.
    Second, at two points I was "made blind" during the operation and all I could see was a very weird white/creme thing. Very strange feeling. I wasn't worried since the doctor was constantly talking to me and preparing me for what was about to happen, but still, I can't imagine what it must be for blind people, I admire them for their strength.
    Third, about 20 min after the operation when I left the building and threw in a garbage can my glasses...amazing feeling.

My eyesight is not perfect or as good as it is going to, it will take a couple more days, but I can still see pretty good and perhaps even better than when I was wearing my last pair of glasses. It will improve soon so that's awesome. :)

The only downside of the whole thing, the cost and that I will have to use some eyedrops for about a month.

Tomorrow I will go and buy my first proper sunglasses. :D

I hope I can find something good cheap and in orange colour. :lol:

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah the laser just shapes the cornea so that the light is focused correctly. :)

3. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

It's got to be scary though, lying down with the knowledge that in a minute someone is going to fire a laser in your eye. Were you scared at all?

4. Trusteft

Nervous because of having an operation where I would have no control, yes, upset for temporarily losing my sight, yes. Scared, nah.

Before I took the decision to do this I was planning on going to a doctor, having my eyes checked and then buying a good light and unfortunately, expensive pair of glasses. Expensive because of the extra money to have the lenses made "slim".

The whole thing would cost me about 800-1000 euros. I paid 2000 and now I will never have to wear glasses again. (well, at least for another 30 years I guess or whenever/IF I develop that thing that some old folks do and can't see eh, near them)

Plus I had a nice pizza later on, so, it was a win win situation.

And later found what I thought I had lost 2 years ago, the network woman NW405 lol.
    Oh, and I ordered an Acer Aspire One, so, great day lol.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i NEED to have this done before a specific time for my own eyes.... due to a specific and rather irritating circumstance, if i don't get it done soon, laser surgery would have to be done on a frequent bases if i wait any longer..

2000 euros.... erg

6. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

It's less than what you pay for a car or a good laptop and it lasts much longer. I see it as a good investment.

7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Congrats on the lasik eye surgery, hope everythings clearer to you now. :lol: :)

8. cozumel

I bet he didn't 'see' that one coming. I won't make any more puns. I might make a 'spectacle' of myself. Oh dear, my jokes get cornea and cornea....

CDsDontBurn likes this.
  9. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

Yeah, its a weird feeling. I did get a little sick to my stomach during the op. I could smell the burning of my cornea. :lol:

10. Calliers

I 'see' where you're coming from. If he 'cr-eyes' when he 'sees' this, we just might be able to sympath-eyes with him lol.

11. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

That reminds me of the movie Awake (2007). :D

I Forgot to say this. Congratulation on the eye surgery.

12. cozumel

I frogot to say congratulations bluemak. Hope all goes smoothly over the next month

What you makin' jokes for I's heard enough now

13. Calliers

Awake was a terribly good movie...only thing is I was watching it on a plane/was a half asleep and watched a terribly low quality low bit rate one...was a very good movie for me all the same. And because of my slightly sleepy state I didn't notice that the story was quickly coming to a head/how it was coming to this conclusion either, so this added to the movie for me too in some way. (nothing like a movie you can wholly predict, *cough cough*Jumper *cough*) 'I' also think that 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls was a good theme song, but we already associate that with the Smallville show on tele'vision' so it's okay, they did a good job on the movie soundtracks anyway. ;)

14. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

congrats on the surgery.

idk, but i think i'd rather stick to glasses. i wouldn't like to have my cornea slit open, have my iris lazered as well as the hanging flap of cornea, the cornea replaced and reattached with some special liquid solution, all of which while you're awake and able to see these machine prodding your eyes.

but then again, i don't need glasses. i actually want a pair of glasses just for aesthetic looks :p

15. Trusteft

Thank you all :)

Yes, a good investment is what it is. Plus, it sets you free.

Heh, I knew I was going to smell that one in advance so it didn't bother me. Though I could almost smell it even after several hours after the operation. Not sure if it is a real odour or just my imagination.

I am almost 32 (december 76) and though I can't be sure how long before I had bad eyesight, I used to wear glasses every day since I was about 9. I didn't play any sports professionaly as I would like to (and I had quite the talent for basketball as a teen), I was refused to become an officer in the navy and it caused me some other problems here and there.
    Having a few minutes operation and "suffering" some side effects for a month or something, is NOTHING.
    I thought about destroying the glasses as soon as I exited the clinic, but because it is a high security area, with the american consulate just few meters away, having a big guy smashing something is not the best idea.

About wanting a pair of glasses for aesthetic reasons...that's just sick.
    Unless you are talking about sunglasses, then all is cool :lol:

16. Calliers

I think he may be going for the Mr. Bennet/Hiro Nakamura look. :D

17. Trusteft

Well, I couldn't find anything in orange that I liked. I haven't shopped for sunglasses in like ever, but no matter what shop I went into it seemed like it was 1970s, huge frames with huge lenses, meh. I managed to find something acceptable, but it has a blue-ish (more like an oil slick) colour and mirror like on the outside. I like it.

Oh, about that Acer Aspire One, I cancelled the order. Mid of September, from this Friday, and no one else has it here and won't have it for 2-3 weeks and since I need one ASAP, I ordered an Asus Eee PC 900 with its 12GB storage capacity (meh), with Windows XP (no idea how that will fit in there and still leave room) and 2GB of RAM. It should be ok and it has the same size screen and resolution as the Aspire One. I have heard the celeron in it even has better performance than the 1.6 Atom...will find out next week. In another thread of course.

My left eye sees more clearly today, but my right remains a bit..not so good.

18. cozumel

I've got these Bloc shades below. Excellent if you're sporty, breakthings easily or just plain clumsy. There's no gap at all between my face and the glasses which is great when I'm cycling as the sun can't get in to blind me. I love the blue mirror style.

Bobcat C74

19. Trusteft

Nah, too thick for me.

20. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Ewww!

I've had glasses for ages, I don't like the idea of contacts, and I certainly don't fancy lasering.

A friend did have it done a while ago, and in not many years, was back to needing glasses.