Lebanon Israel Conflict

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by SFOSOK, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pompey

Pompey New Member

The difference is Hezbollah put their weapons in civilian areas, The US is putting civilians (or more accurate civilians are putting themselves) on military bases. Any 'civilians' working directly for the military are part of the military.

If the airport was being used to fly in ammunitions then bombing the runway would be valid. But it wasn’t so Israel’s bombing missions were illegal attacks on civilian infrastructure. For anything to be a valid target it must be a legitimate military target, which in this case (and many others in this campaign) it was not.
    In reference to your question about the Mosque it depends on a number of factors, primary the risk to civilians. If it is in a heavily built up area or civilians are sheltering in there because of the bombing then no. If is in a sparsely populated/ largely abandoned area then I would consider a precision strike acceptable.

Hezbollah’s capacity has not been harmed by the bombings. Israel has targeted bridges, roads, telecommunication hubs, power plants and sites of Hezbollah’s social services wing. Here is a quote from BBC:

2. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

The very definition of Hezbollah as a terrorist organization and not a national military force changes the distinction between "legitimate military targets" and "civilian targets." The airport was bombed to prevent 2 things.

1) Prevent the fast importation of additional munitions into Hezbollah's hands. Granted additional routes are available (overland and such) but they aren't as convenient.

2) Prevent Hezbollah's leadership from being able flee to safe areas so that Israel's military can capture and/or kill them.

The airports were perfectly legitimate targets. In any conflict you take out the supporting infrastructure as part of you battle plan.

Israel was attacked by a force that resides in a country that won't do anything on their own to stop the attacks being launched from their soil. By not doing anything to stop it, they promote it.

If Hezbollah hides munitions in the basement of a mosque, then the mosque is a legitimate military target. The whole reason they hide those things in "civilian areas" is that they hope that they won't get hit and if they do they know that it will cause a public outcry.

On a side note, has anyone seen the Hamas documentary on Discovery Times channel? Nothing like a little "all Israel must be destroyed" to give you heartburn.

3. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

I said I wasnt gonna post on this subject any more but I'm studying Nehemiah in the Bible now.Someone had a question about Israel being God's chosen people..................................When I heard [how things were going in Jerusalem], I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven. Then I said, "O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps his covenant of unfailing love with those who love him and obey his commands, listen to my prayer! Look down and see me praying night and day for your people Israel.

Nehemiah 1:4-6 NLT

4. Gabriel_Etranil

Gabriel_Etranil New Member

Any area with sizable amount of civilians must be warned prior to an attack, Israel did that. What of civilians working on a military base?

Civilian deaths on a military base are still civilian deaths. Civilian population(whether on a base or not) must be warned prior to an attack or they are illegal.

Where were they getting the weapons caches from Iran and Syria from?

They warned the civilian population prior to the attacks which is a prerequisite to attacking civilian areas.

They have used UNICEF vehicles to travel across the border to kidnap Israelis while the UNICEF sat their and literally watched it happend. Should I take from this that the UN is on the side of Hezbollah then? Or should I take this as the UN directly helping Hezbollah against Israel, since UNICEF video taped this happening.

Do you give a pass to Hezbollah who has carried out attacks toward civilian populations in Israel without retaliation from the UN for their illegal acts?

5. kelticknight

kelticknight DriverHeaven Knight

what do you what them to do,fight them with bare hands,do you have a clue what they do
    when a bunch of thugs have guns,get real

6. Gabriel_Etranil

I take it your talking about the UNICEF thing(if I'm wrong correct me), The UN did no retaliation, I'm not saying UNICEF retaliate, I'm saying the UN should have done something. Hezbollah did it right in the eyes of UNICEF which should mean the UN knew Hezbollah was breaking the treaty with Israel(or whatever it was) and commiting terrorist acts.

7. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

The UN is useless

8. kelticknight

your correct,was talking about unicef
    as far as UN goes,i can tell you from experience,it not that clean cut,also both side have done wrong here,the hezbollah started it and israel walked into ther trap,other arabs nations will side with hezbollah
    what need is to divide the 2 with aforce in middle,as you know red tape takes too long before something is done

9. kelticknight

was in UN forces on tours,nato attach and UN try to pickup the pices and deal with the bull and watch your mates gety killed

10. Alien1

Alien1 Banned

George Bush lackies are Useless

11. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

While that sucks to hear, they don't really fight wars they just occupy then leave when they think things are getting better. The minute they leave it goes back to the way it was. I respect all soldiers though.

12. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

I will tell you the defination of useless.....the UN.Thats useless.The US pays 60% of the budget of the UN.The Brits & Aussies pay most of whats left.Waisted taxpayer dollars.MY money.For a slew of bleeding heart liberals.I wish my govt. would throw the UN out of this country and NEVER give it another cent!Thats real estate in New York City that could be put to good use.When I joined the USAF I pledged allegiance to the United States of America and to uphold Her constatution,and to the USAF.I would NEVER put on a baby blue helmet.And by the way.I voted for George Bush.....twice.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  13. BWX

BWX get out and ride

yeah the UN is a waste of space.. a corrupt bunch of thieves..

14. Pompey

Pompey New Member

Oh come on! You dont seriously think Hezbollah got their weapons by air freight?
    They were snuck across the border or manufactured at home. To bomb civilian infrastructure the offending state must prove it had military objectives. The airport was not. Hezbollah’s leadership don’t travel business class on emirates, they go in and out the same way as the weapons do. Have any Hezbollah leaders been captured?? NO!

I believe ive already responded to that, so ill just do a little copy and paste: Whoever is saying its the civilians own fault for being there, look at the actions taken by Israel. Those who have the means to flee have, the people that are left for the most part cant afford to leave - its like Hurricane Katrina. And for those who do want to leave, it is incredibly difficult because Israel has blockaded the ports, bombed the airport and destroyed the roads. Many are too terrified to leave their homes. How the hell are they supposed to get out?

What is UNICEF going to do? Fight the terrorists off with sacks of grain and good will? They are a humanitarian organisation not an armed force. I am not defending the actions oh Hezbollah im saying the Israeli response is disproportionate.

15. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Must thank Israel for killing UN troops in the area and shelling rescue team that went to see is there any one alive....

16. Gabriel_Etranil

Warning the civilians is a prerequisite to attacking civilian areas, making it not illegal. So you did not respond to what I was refering to. Since you wanted to bring up Katrina where was the Lebanese government to evacuate it civilians from the impending disaster. Katrina was labeled all Bush's fault, the National Government was supposed to be the one to evacuated and provide relief to everybody harmed by Katrina. So if your going to make a comparision to Katrina make a proper one. But according to the Hezbollah leader he told members of the Lebanese Government of Hezbollah going to go into Israel to kidnap soldiers for an exchange. They supported it and both them and the Hezbollah leader believed Israel would not retaliate.
    The UN(international community, or whatever) sat by and did nothing so they are responsible for everything that has happend to Israel and to Lebanon by their inaction to do anything to stop the current, prior, and inpending violence.

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

No they aren't.. how are you supposed to win a war? Act UN-disproportionate? No, they have to do what they have to do to disarm the terrorists.

How do you know how they got there? Manufactured at home? Syrian missiles manufactured in Lebanon?

Yes An airport is a military target.

If they haven't been captured, they have been killed... or will be..

You say you don't defend Hezbollah, but you attack Israel.. so in fact you are defending Hezbollah.. Defending their right to exist and attack Israel.
    It's obvious you are on Hezbollah's side.

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yes I am sure they did it on purpose.. No they didn't..

Also what is the UN doing there? If they sit around and have tea with Hezbollah during a war, they run the risk of getting bombed accidentally.

They shouldn't even be there.. they obviously aren't dong a good job.. been there for 20 years doing nothing..

19. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Well when Israel Air force dropped that smart weapon there were only four UN workers in the bunker, no Hezbollah there at the time.
    Tell me then how-to remove terrorist organisation that is using basic tactics from WW2 to resist Israel... Yeah you can try to kill them with high-tech weapons and create more support for their cause...

20. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I think they do that by pounding them until they run out of weapons.. I am sure it won't get that far.. and it will go back to the way it has been for 4000 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.