Lenovo Ideapad 510 factory reset problem

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

So I was asked to look at a friends laptop they said they had been using windows and the screen froze only option they had was hard reset, after they did this it went into troubleshooting mode

they tried to fix the startup and it failed and oddly there was no option to do a reset

they dropped it to me and a little google shows that Lenovo has a weird paper-clip reset mode, you push a paperclip into a little hole by the earphone socket that starts a reset and then there are 4 option and 1 is recovery

great

but recovery should take about 2 hours at best and so far it has been running all night and is only at 12% (82 hours remaining)

I don't want to power off as its resetting but I cant help thinking the Hard Drive or recovery partition is stuffed

any suggestions ?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

No idea what is going on, but if I was in your place I would....wait.
    The HDD might be on its way out, or not.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  3. Mr Cairo

yeah waiting is my first thought but 12% over 21 hours of time and potentially 80+ hours ... It wont be done till Sunday if im lucky :(

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I wouldn't wait that long, but leave it be for a bit more, and, if there is no progress, then perhaps try again.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  5. Mr Cairo

Always though I would make it worse by turning off, I did consider just grabbing win 10 and a USB and trying a fresh boot install from that

Trusteft likes this.
  6. Trusteft

I thought you/he needed to recover the original installation, to save programs etc.
    Obviously if you have W10, do that.
    Having said that, make sure to test the drive...

Mr Cairo likes this.
  7. Mr Cairo

Whats the best thing for testing the drive when i cant boot it to windows ?

Trusteft likes this.
  8. Trusteft

Remove the drive and use it on another PC? Either through a USB enclosure or inside a PC case. Though there is always the risk of malware/virus so...
    I guess install windows on it from fresh and test it through that installation. If it doesn't even install Windows, then at least you will know what is probably the issue.

9. Mr Cairo

Ah removing the drive involes stripping the laptop down a bit I think its doable, I will float the idea by them

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Or... use a USB bootable drive testing software like SeaTools, or HDTune, or (if you are one of those rare people that still have some blanks) grab the Ultimate Boot CD ISO for a CD bootable utility disk. This way you can test it on the unit itself.

BTW, the hard drive is located in the bottom right of the unit (at least with the 510's I've dealt with). As you boot up the system I would put my ear in that location, and take a listen for any clicking noise. If you hear anything I'd assume the drive is in trouble, and needs to be replaced.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Mr Cairo and Trusteft like this.
  11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

As luck would have it, I opened an IdeaPad 510S some 10 days ago to try some basic cleanup and potentially move the SSD into another machine (although we just ended making a copy of the important data and the laptop back together). It was pretty easy, I'm not sure, but I think an ordinary screw driver was enough, plus a 'guitar pick', there were no special screws and I didn't have to remove any of the feet. The drive was easily accessible too, although slightly awkward to detach and re-attach. My co-worker was mortified at the sight (she has been using the little machine for a couple of years and has become attached to it), but it came back together no worse for wear.

Although, I now searched for the IdeaPad 510 on YouTube and it seems to have a different case from the 510S, but, if anything, it seems that it makes getting to the drive even easier, as it has a dedicated door for the storage bay.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  12. Mr Cairo

Cheers for the advice they are having a think I should know by tomorrow

BTW during the unnecessary slow recovery process there was a definite click from the drive about once every 3 minutes Im still pushed towards the HD being the issue

Trusteft likes this.
  13. Mr Cairo

Well this morning it was 17% done and has been running for 37 hours with 73 hours to go ... so I figured what the hell told them what was going on and they agreed to turn off and try a Win 10 USB install

So powered off and now nothing ..turn on and the Lenovo logo appears but I cannot get into the bios not with the f keys or using the safety pin reset on the laptop its instant freeze ..so it looks like the Hard Drive is dead as I cannot even start the setup

ah well

14. Mr Cairo

Pulled the laptop HD and plugged in a new one and its boots to recovery instantly so I'm ordering a new one for the laptop, also when I plug the old HD into a caddy I cannot get windows to recognise that there is anything there, the HD does look dead

Figure ill grab a 500Gig hd of ebay and just do a clean install

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    IvanV likes this.
  15. Trusteft

No ssd?

16. Mr Cairo

Not following sorry ?

17. Trusteft

You are not going to have the HDD replaced with a SSD? The experience will be far better with an SSD even for simple tasks and an older system.
    Just thinking out loud.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  18. Mr Cairo

Ah I see what you mean and TBH no its an older laptop that is being used mainly to help their 10 year old son with school work during lockdown its just for Zoom and homework so realistically the SSD would be uncalled for, once this is over I think it will go back in the cupboard