Line-in on SB0220?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Berg, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

Hi.

My name is Mick Berg and I designed the original PCOrgan project which needed three sound cards. That's why I got involved with the KX project many years ago now. I have graduated to the Hauptwerk digital pipe organ system, so everything is much simpler now.

I'm using an old Windows XP computer purely as a KX sound processor for my digital pipe organ. The organ itself uses a Windows 7 64bit computer with an Edirol UA20 and Asio drivers. The audio from the UA20 feeds the Line-in of the XP computer.

I think the answer is no, but I'd like to be sure. Can I bring the Line- in inputs to KX without using the AC97? I'm noticing a major deterioration in sound quality.

Or, are there any sound cards, that can be purchased inexpensively, that have a Toslink digital input (the Edirol UA20 has Toslink out) that will work with KX on the XP computer?

Thanks,

Mick Berg.

2. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

3. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

Good idea, thanks. But I'm not finding anything that is made to connect directly to the CD-SPDIF port. So I guess I will have to make an adaptor to go from RCA to the SPDIF connector. Is that right? I have no problem doing that, just want to be sure it's necessary.

Thanks,
    Mick.

4. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

yeah, you'll have to make your own connections for that side

5. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

Thanks, I'll report on the results.
    Mick Berg.

6. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

It works very well but it is major overkill having two computers.

I'd be willing to give up the KX driver if I could find a soundcard that would cohabit well with the Hauptwerk program, and give me a subwoofer output and some simple reverb. It would also have to have a MIDI port of course.

Thanks,
    Mick Berg.

7. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

This unit came with a wall-wart power supply, rated six volts. It's very inconvenient. My guess is that the power requirement is five volts, which I could easily pick off the computer's power supply. Can anyone think of a reason why this would not work?
    Thanks,
    Mick.

8. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

I re-addressed this issue yesterday, and it was very interesting. I picked a 12 volt supply from the computer, and connected it to the TOSLINK-SPDIF converter. No sound. I found out that if the ground side of the RCA (SPDIF) connector is grounded, there will be no sound. Of course using the computer's power made this happen. The unit would only work with its isolated wall-wart power supply! So now I'm looking for a KX compatible soundcard with a TOSLINK input. I hate the wall-wart!

Mick Berg.