Linking files

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Sourcer_2002, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

Im buliding a website and i only have 5mb of space for files. I want to put in a download section but i dont have to space. So is there a way a can make the files on the website link to a secure part of my hard drive to allow prople to download the file?

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

use bulletproof server or equivalent, set up the account as a guest to the folder on your harddrive within the program with read only access. get your IP (if its static, which it would need to be). link to the file with your ip for example. 210.345.23.124/downloads/file.zip in that way. its really a link to your FTP.... your computer of course will need to be on constantly to offer this download file 24/7 .... users will also be limited on downloads to your upload speed.

3. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

well im doin this with a modem ( which i know is a no no) but thats all i can use here in my town which really blows but do modems have static ip's?

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Re:

you cant really do this for a variety of reasons on a modem, firstly your IP will change everytime you log on, and secondly your upload (which will be the persons download) will be very slow, perhaps 3k on a good 56k line.

I advise you to ask some friends who have webspace if they could host the files for you, im sure you will get positive results as long as the files arent too large, its also worth noting that every server provider will have a maximum bandwidth quota allowable per month. (ranging from 1 gig or less for a personal website to 50 gig+ for a business)

what files are you attempting to host anyway? sizes etc?

5. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

fro the most part small apps that i or friends have created and are band mp3's and some flash animation that i have basiclly a buch of small stuff lol. Really sucks i wash my local town would hurry up and get dsl they should have in about a month i guess i gotta till then thanks a lot for the advice