Linux users

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CATALYST maker, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhitch1

zhitch1 New Member

yes I`ve used linux for years and yes I would be happy to see more support by ATI for linux as would most of us linux users...the new driver is a step in the right direction..but if ya install the new driver on Xorg ya still have to modify the damn config file so it will work..I mean yea there has been improvements but details like that should be addressed..its like its almost more trouble than its worth to own an ATI card under linux as you have to get a million patches or fixes to make it work unless your running XFree 4.3.0 (been dated for over a year now) so I think some real drivers..well would be REAL nice...I like ATI and I`m not sorry I got my card...but geez guys..ya put in 2 solid months to get it compatible with Xorg ( which I`m applauding BTW) and ya still make the default config file only usable in XFree? Just little things like that are a real pain...

2. zhitch1

zhitch1 New Member

well Nvidia actually listens to the linux community for one...and they have a WHOLE lot less issues ATM....its good a Catalyst Maker takes an interest in making the ATI drivers better...hope they are somewhere on par with Nvidia sometime soon

3. DirtyRussian

DirtyRussian New Member

Very true. As I have not ever been able to get my 3d working in Linux, (truly I did not try especially hard, since Lin. runs only on my laptop and I dont play any games on it) I do not really know much about X (I use Xorg) except how to basically configure it. But I know I had to pick graphic card support in my kernel, so I would assume that kernel must be configured to the card as well as X. And with two different main kernel versions, plus their variants and optimizations (Gentoo has couple) every kernel would be slightly different. Thus drivers would have to be very general to accomodate that. Which I think is not an easy thing to do in Linux. That is what I have been trying to say earlier.

Like i said though, I don't really now much about X except how to do basic configuration, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Education is the key.

4. DirtyRussian

DirtyRussian New Member

UberLord, never noticed that... That is pretty awesome man. Really? A developer for Gentoo, you are one smart cookie. :p :p :p

5. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

I use SuSE on my main desktop (9800 Pro), as well as Ubuntu on my laptop (9600 Pro Turbo). SuSE box uses latest ATI drivers, and I have not gotten around to that on my laptop just yet, so far learning Ubuntu more than anything.

6. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Aside from the fact that the nVidia driver rips out the DRI infrastructure your right!

Although ATI is becoming more vocal with the community :)

7. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

OT: @DirtyRussian you sig just made my day (yes, I do speak Russian).

8. Freejack1

Freejack1 New Member

I am glad to see something happening with this. I have run Red Hat, Suse, Gentoo, and even Mandrake. I found the existing drivers to be a real pain and made me quit trying to make things run on the machines that have ATI video cards in them. Better support would make this a better OS with an option on video cards. Nvidia made drivers and I kept wondering how long it would take ATI to step up and make drivers that truely were functional. I would be interested in beta testing these if at all possible.

9. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

I think it's an excellent idea.

10. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

Actually, SuSE 9.1 drivers are a breeze to install as long as you follow detailed instructions as found here. As of SuSE 9.2 drivers for x86_64 architecture are also available.

I have to agree that any other less standard distribution is a serious pain to make those drivers work. It requires a lot of kernel work, and is certainly not nearly as seamless as Windows :).

11. RoX

RoX New Member

It think you're little too late for that. mtippett already picked up some folk over at rage3d.

cheers

12. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

I wouldnt bet any money on that statement you just made if I were you. If we find good beta testers we take them.

13. zyroth

zyroth New Member

That would be nice, especially since ATI doesn´t provide other than those crapy rpm drivers.

P4 2.8, 1536MB, 5*15krpm seagate cheeta, 9800 pro, P4P800-E Deluxe, Fileserver, Intel TP7210, P4 2.66, 512MB, 1.5TB storage, Lian-Li PC-76

14. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

Linux Radeon Display Driver forum is now open. Please come see it here.

15. DirtyRussian

DirtyRussian New Member

Glad you thought it was funny, I can't remember what song that came from... but i do remember the song was that hillarious in its entirity. Glad to have a fellow Ruskie here man. Peace!!

16. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

Not quite Russian, originally from Ukraine, but do have some Russian blood in my venes. There are quite a few people who speak Russian here AFAIK.

17. carcass

carcass New Member

ati with linux..???
    LOL
    u gotta be kidding me!!!
    i tried xfree 4.2.0, 4.3.0, xorg 6.0
    tried fedora core 2, 3, debian, whitebox linux(RHEL), mandrake 10.1
    nothing works.
    ati support for linux is a joke, mm..sorry, not a joke, a disgrace!!!.

i have a pretty simple system: amd2500+, 1gb ddr3200, 160gb hdd, asus a7n8x, ati9800pro , bba.

i used to like ati vvv much, but i saw a friend of mine with a 6600gt card that runs ut2k4 BETTER than win xp.
    i spent so many nights, days, hours, beers...ut drivers would not install properly.
    tried various 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
    as far as i am concerned, GOOD BYE ATI, HELLO NVIDIA.

ati has money to hire a few good programers, but hell, they dont, they are just too greedy and linux is a very fast growing community! I am just one of them to join the nvidia team for this reason!
    my money was good for a new 9800pro, but now....what do they care??

why to they make it so hard? it is not all about money, uups, sorry, i see that it is! how hard is to get a couple of good programers to do smth right? smth that could bring so many users on YOUR side from nvidia as well.
    nway, just my 2 cents.

HELLO NVIDIA.

18. ccfilms

ccfilms New Member

Wow.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  19. carcass

carcass New Member

jerk?

what is wrong with what i said? can you blame me for making the switch? am I not right?

20. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

It is your personal choice when it comes to your hardware manufacturer, and nobody can blame you. And 6600GT kicks some serious butt, especially for its price.

We are all working on making ATi+Linux better, but it's not perfect just yet. Though my 9800 works in SuSE very well, with full GP support as allowed by drivers. And it took me all 12 minutes to install the latest driver. It's all about knowing what you are doing, and following the directions specific for your distro.

Also, expressing yourself in a more consistent and calm way always helps. This pertains to both ccfilms and carcass :D. Let's all be thoughtful of others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.