load an axisting dsp in KX driver

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by viederland, Nov 14, 2010.

1. viederland

viederland New Member

Hi,

Is there a way to load an axisting dsp (a winamp dsp) in KX driver ??
    I can't figure out how to make it !

thanks in advance

J.

2. viederland

viederland New Member

Re : load an axisting dsp in KX driver

... I meant, is it possible to import, to load a foreign DSP as any Winamp DLL dsp into the KX system ?? ' Been searching for hours with all possible keywords : no clue we can do that. Should I use ffdshow instead ? That would be a mess ....

3. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

not possible

4. viederland

viederland New Member

damn !! Someone would know HOW TO set a winamp DSP to treat the physical line in soundcard signal ??

Well, for a webradio, I run a little stream, and was happy to choose an STANDALONE version of Oddcast V3 (the prog who encodes for streaming purpose). Thats good cause you avoid winamp running and so, winamp crashing - what always lead to happen someday, and you stream is down.

BUT, the standalone version of Oddcast seems unable to load any DSP. That seems strange, all the more because nothing is said about this sad feature or non-feature (??). Even googling, I cannot find any issue about this problem. Resuming, your streaming system is more stable, but cannot load any effect to treat the outgoing signal !

Also notice that I cannot choose another existing DSP (i.e KX embedded DSP's) as its a very peculiar one : an FM hiss removal, see that here :

Tape Restore Live! 1.10 - free Winamp plugin

Even the author himself told me I could use ffdshow audio codec to set the dsp, but I don't know how to make it right to treat the line in signal with the DSP ! Using Virtual Audio Cable perhaps ?

If someone could help ...

The actual stream can be heard following this link :

http://82.235.242.180:8025/line_in.mp3.m3u

Thanks in advance !!

5. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

Re: Re : load an axisting dsp in KX driver

I believe it's now called Edcast.
    The Edcast Standalone version doesn't have a function you want. It works fine as it is. It's not a sad feature or non feature. Perhaps put in a feature request on his forum.
    As I said, it's not a problem, so you wont find an answer through google. The solution is to insert effects into the audio data before it gets to Edcast, i.e. in the soundcards DSP, or in whatever is playing the music

What are you using to play the music?

6. viederland

viederland New Member

Hi,

So you think its normal and good that a streaming / broadcast system is given with no ability to treat the signal ? Personnaly, I thinks that's very strange. In one hand, Edcast is much more stable, solid, but in the other hand, you cannot add any DSP nor effects ... As I already remarked.

P.S : Uhhh, so foolish I was : It's all natural one can't load dsp in the encoder : the dsp are never loaded in the encoder but in the PLAYER ! But, I'm not using any player for my stream ... )

I don't use any player cause I'm working with the analog LINE IN imput from the soundcard, as I relay a local FM radio station from an analogic tunner ! That's the center of my problem, as I had in mind to avoid Winamp, so goodbye effects ... (cause Winamp is crashing sometimes, and "sometimes" is too much for me.)

Of yourse, I had to install Winamp anyway, cause I srtrongly need the "FM Hiss Removal" DSP from the author of the great Stereo Tool ...

Anyway, I'm still searching to avoid the player, if only I could find a way to add any Winamp DSP (.dll) directly into the Line IN signal, wich is named as Wave / MME port, is that correct ? For that purpose, I really cannot find any prog able to do that. Except perhaps with a fine config of the FFDSHOW audio codec, but for the moment, that does not work. I'm able to load the DSP in it, but I cannot catch, patch the analog line in signal ...

It's a good idea to post a request for someone perhaps could code something to add this WINDOWS special feature. I also registered into the Edcast official forum, but the server seems to be down, as I had no email back, even with a new registration and other email account, the server stays inactive, it's impossible to post !!

I've tryied DSP FX Virtual Pack, but this so called "professional tool" is a mess, buggy in all ways, whatever soundcard, XP install, different config or prog settings you set ... Anyway, if the prog is intended to catch the line in or wave signal (works not), it could not load nor import foreign DSP as Winamp ones ... sigh ...

When I discovered KX driver, I was impressed and very happy, unfortunatly, no way to load foreign DSP's ...

I cannot believe not a single program offer this wanted feature in the whole WWW...

Thanks for your attention.

http://nobody4.free.fr/book/brin_rayonnant.jpg
    http://nobody4.free.fr/RM/Stream_Radio_Archive_Local.JPG
    http://82.235.242.180:8025/line_in.mp3.m3u

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

If you search, you can probably find a Line In plugin for WinAMP (and of course, kX should be configured for recording from Line In).

In most programs (that support such things), you would chose to open your capture device in order to process audio from external sources (i.e. you are recording as far as WIndows/kX is concerned, even if it is not actually recording to disk, etc).

8. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

edcast forum is not down - http://www.oddsock.org/openbb/

I've actually done a lot of work with edcast, due to the absence of it's creator. Anyway, I have a version which uses ASIO - freeing the WinMM record output of the DSP for VOIP - so I can do VOIP calls to shoutcast using a single soundcard

Anyway, that's not important here.

I've written software that uses Winamp DSP's in the past ... so, perhaps I could whip something up, or better still I could add winamp DSP support to edcast standalone

By far the easiest option would be if someone could create a Hiss Remover in kx - but I have no idea of the "algorithm" for hiss removal

9. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

d'oh ... of course!!

see a new perspective, a far simpler solution - LineIn plugin v1_80 - Winamp

10. viederland

viederland New Member

Citation:
    Posté par Russ [​IMG]
    If you search, you can probably find a Line In plugin for WinAMP

" If you search, you can probably find a Line In plugin for WinAMP "

Well, thats very kind but if you read carrefully, I want a prog that can load WITHOUT WINAMP, in STANDALONE mode, any foreigh dsp's, at least Winamp ones like those DLL's ....

The Line In plug in : I'm on it, and I already knew this prog. But for the moment - I'm still carrefully reading the Help files - this plugs does not allow to run the much FX, wich carries both the DSP encoder and the FM Hiss Removal. You can see them, but the FM prog remains INACTIVE. No sound is going to it.

See screen capture here : http://nobody4.free.fr/STREAM/streaming.jpg

I'll make better response to the other (much matching) post very soon. Thanks for all replies !

11. viederland

viederland New Member

Re : Re: load an axisting dsp in KX driver

Well, :) I can see the oddsock forum is "online" ('i'm not totally stupid) .The registration process seems to be frozen, for I cannot log in, and never had the first e mail in reply - strange ... (although I've created two accounts ...)

You say : "add winamp DSP support to edcast standalone" That's it. Thats what I need, that what I want.

"Hiss Remover in kx - but I have no idea of the "algorithm" for hiss removal " The DSP works with phase opposition of the FM white noise. Take an FM sound signal with a big HISS inside, switch your AMP in mono mode : you'l see the HISS will almost totally disappear. The DSP does this way, but keeping the signal stereo : just the HISS is treated this way. That's all I know ...

These times, I mean : now, my streaming uses the lin in plug in, and so, the FM filter is not activated (see screencapture in my other post). Connect to it, and hear the FM hiss coming from the tunner / line IN. Then, turn your amp in MONO : you'll hear the HISS will completly disappear ! ..