Lock Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Zelig, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I've been having a horribly annoying problem when I "lock" my computer manually, or have it set to go automatically when the monitor goes off. It doesn't happen consistently, I have to leave the computer locked for a while to trigger it.

Symptoms include all the icons disappearing from the start menu, and the inability to open anything. Since I can't open windows explorer, or anything else, I can't take screenshots of anything.

Doubleclicking an icon on the desktop results in nothing happening, hitting windows key + e returns a dialog box with "The parameter is incorrect."

Ctrl+alt+delete + log off, then logging back on fixes the problem.

Sorry it's so vague, but it's difficult to troubleshoot the problem when I'm unable to do open any files. If anyone needs me to try stuff, I'll lock my rig overnight, and try stuff in the morning.

Any ideas?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

lol i have no ideas at all..
    that's just plain out bizzare imo...

haven't a clue where to start...

3. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've got no idea what to do either. Posted this on another tech forum and also got 0 replies there.

I even wiped Vista clean and reinstalled when SP1 came out, and the problem persisted.

If I don't lock the computer, everything runs nicely for weeks without logging out or rebooting.

4. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I can only say that I've got Vista 64 too, lock my computer many times a day and I've never experienced this.

Does the computer go into deep hibernation mode when it's locked for a long time?

5. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

No, my motherboard doesn't enjoy deep hibernation mode.

I've tried turning off all the powersaving features, even with the monitor left on and everything, the problem still happens if left locked for a while.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Could be some weird overheating issue. I think I encountered something similar years ago, but that was a virus issue, and you say you have reformated the drive, so unless you install other types of programs apart from Vista (which I guess is a legitimate copy), I can't see that happening.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

try again Zelig (if you could or when you can), with a new install of Vista and the copy is updated, but donot install 3rd party software programs yet.

8. raiden

raiden New Member

is your model VERY VERY old?try some system utility like windows manager.if that doesnt work,i suggest not to lock your comp.dont hibernate as it can put a stress on the mothrboard.