Logitech G35 Headset @ DH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Nov 16, 2009.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Logitech G35 Headset Review

Today we are going to look at the Logitech G35 gaming headset which boasts Dolby Headphone 7.1 technology, promising to create the ultimate gaming experience. It also features on-ear controls with three user-programmable buttons for added convenience.

2. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I liked it , looks pretty solid and a high quality one.

3. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

My Trust 5.1 headset is doing the job for now.

I have a few questions. Does the software work in 64bit? The software for my Trust headset doesn't work with Win7 64bit (and I'm using the 64bit drivers). Now while Windows 7 does a good job it lacks customisation. The Trust software allowed me to position the speakers and adjust their individual volumes so I could compensate for poorer hearing through my left ear and I would need this, especially when spending over £70 on a headset.

Secondly is the headset using 7 mini-speakers or 5 mini-speakers and using virtualisation software to give the impression of it being 7.1? My Trust headset has five speakers but can be made "7.1" through the driver software.

4. henrybutt

henrybutt HardwareHeaven Member

I tested the headset with Windows 7 64-bit and had no issues whatsoever. The configuration with the software though is a little limited and i think it's mainly there to configure the gaming buttons.

The headset doesn't really have surround sound at all; it has virtual surround sound. This means that it has a stereo hardware setup with only one driver unit in each earpiece and produces the effect of surround sound through software.

5. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Thanks for the review. Sounds like something I could put on my wish list. (That's the list of things I'm unlikely to buy but won't mind being given. :))

6. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Hmm...definitely not considering the upgrade anymore. If a company like Trust could do a true 5.1 headset with 6 physical drivers and full configuration software for about 50% less (I picked mine up for £49.99 about 3-4 years ago) then Logitech's product is sub-par and over-priced.

7. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

why would you say that? you are basing your decision on 'numbers' which as we know rarely works in a tech environment. Its all about quality and im pretty sure reading that review that the sound quality of this product is excellent.

I had a trust sound card a while ago when I bought it from ebay - a typical 'cheap' product from the company. Great value and all that, but the quality? distinctly average.

You don't often get cheap, high quality products in the world of tech. No offense, but looking at your PC configuration I think this logitech product is not something you would be interested in anyway.

8. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Excuse me? Could you leave your hypocrisy at the door before replying next time. Thank you.

For a start differentiating between hardware and software is not basing a decison on numbers. The G35 headset is a stereo headset using virtualisation software to give the impression of 7.1 audio, it is not a 7.1 headset. The trust headset is a true 5.1 headset using actual speakers with good build quality, strong bass and full configuration tools. As stated above the Logitech headset does not even include a comprehensive configuration toolset which as far as I'm concerned is vitally important when dealing with static speakers.

Now seeing as you deem "numbers" not to work in a tech environment its a bit silly to then say that this product wouldn't interest me anyway based on the numbers on my PC configuration. My PC setup was not cheap when bought just shy of five years ago when it was all pretty much new tech and apart from upgrading the fan on my GeForce 6600GT not a single part has needed to be replaced and it still works perfectly fine on Windows 7.

I don't waste my time upgrading my rig, I buy hardware that works and lasts for years and then when its too old to perform the functions I need it to I buy another one that will do exactly the same. I have no problem spending money on items that are worth it and this headset does not seem to be a big enough upgrade over what my 3-4 year old kit to warrant an upgrade. When Logitech come out with a true 7.1 headset with configurable drivers then I'll be interested.

9. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

No hypocrisy here - just honest speaking. You are clearly a man who wants a bargain and wants a system to last a long time, going on your specs. I doubt this headset would appeal to you as its not targeting your sector, its as simple as that.

My point was, at the end of the day, figures and numbers mean nothing, if the sound quality is high and it performs great thats all that matters, which is the assumption I made from the review, which im guessing you read as well.

I beg to differ in regards to trust having good build quality and strong bass and full configuration tools, I have used several of their products in the past and they are perfectly fine for the market they are meant to be in. When you try something with better quality its apparent.

My point in regards to numbers was also that in regards to tech, people seem to focus on 'higher numbers' which was always an issue in many fields such as cpu clock speeds in regards to more efficent CPUs outperforming those with higher clock speeds. I mean if you get a cheap 7:1 setup and it sounds worse than a high quality 'virtual' setup then who cares about 'numbers'

I am not saying it does, ive used neither, but for you to dismiss something without hearing it seems rather daft to me. If you don't want it I understand that completely but lets be honest, the headset is probably worth half the price of your full system so it would be rather daft stepping outside a budget market to get something at this price. Its not intended as an insult, just facts :)

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I like Logitech products, there are always at least 1 of theirs connected to my PC(s?). But this headset looks like a bad deal. £80 for an average (by the numbers of drivers and frequency and can only be used with a PC) at best set is way way way too much. If it was a Trust product with the same specs I would call it a rip off, but since I have only good experience with Logitech, I won't say that. Still a bad deal and I wouldn't consider them for the price.
    Perhaps half the price...

11. henrybutt

I recommend you keep watching the front page as there should be a review of the ROCCAT Kave 5.1 Headset going up sometime in the next few days. This does have the native surround sound you speak of :)

12. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Is this a 1st or 2nd generation of the Roccat Kave 5.1? I've found a review on another site dating back to May and they've given it a glowing review.

Alex your honest speaking is based on hypocrisy, you disagree with my argument based on me using "numbers" and then your counter-argument

..is based purely on the numbers on the side of my screen.

And also since when did spending £200 on branded memory become the "budget market" or £150 on a motherboard? or £130 on a graphics card? And thats neglecting the £300+ I've spent on storage drives over that period. Your condescending posts about MY budget really do make you look silly when my budget for my next system's case and PSU alone is easily over three times the cost of this headset, so

is an insult because you've used no facts what-so-ever in your post.

13. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

guys lets get back to the product, this silliness irritates me.

14. henrybutt

It is the most up-to-date version :)

15. pigdog

pigdog New Member

Good review. So much so that I went out and purchased a set. I do have one question though.

When you mention lag, just how much lag are we talking about? You see, I receive the sound of my own voice back through the speakers a good 2 seconds after speaking. It is incredibly confusing when speaking a longer sentence as from about 2 seconds in to my speech I find myself being spoken over by self, if you know what I mean.

I was hoping that there would be some sort of cancellation so that while I was talking there would be no sound coming from the speakers but does not seem to be the case. If that is how headsets with microphones work well so sad, too bad I guess.

Something else of note is that it does not work with any of the consoles. It is a "PC only" product, at least according to Logitech.

Apart for that one issue they are a lovely set of headphones, and your review was an excellent reference for me. Thanks.

Cheers
    The Dog

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  16. Desca

Desca New Member

Good and solid review. Does it justice imo!

17. pigdog

pigdog New Member

The lag I was experiencing was to do with one particular game, and that has been sorted by a patch to the game, so please disregard my comments above -the G35's were blameless.

This headset is great. It's probably the single best performing peripheral I've ever purchased. I play Eve On line, and good communications in that game are vital. The first time I logged for a voice conference everybody asked me what I'd done as my voice was coming across Chrystal-clear, and their voices where coming to me just as clearly. A number of them have since grabbed a pair of G35's, and they a happy as Larry about them.

Music sounds reasonably good, but I'll continue to use my Senheiser's for that.

But when it comes to gaming or Skype etc, I recommend this head-set (I have used 3 other sets including ones from Creative and Roccat) as the best currently available.

Yes, they are at the more expensive end of the scale, but in this case you really do get what you pay for.

Cheers
    The Dog

18. need4steer

need4steer New Member

Thanks a lot for this great review.
    I enjoyed reading it.
    I'd like to know more about what do you think about it's performance with music, though it's a gaming headset.