Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Mar 21, 2005.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

The MX 518 Gaming-Grade Mouse packs enough hardware to rival the only other respectable gaming mouse on the market--the Razer Diamondback. Designed purely for the gamer, the new MX 518 Gaming-Grade Mouse arrives with a 1600 DPI sensor, a 16-bit data path, and a phenomenal driver suite all wrapped into nice package with a suggested retail price of $49.99.

If you liked the physical feel of Logitech's MX 510 Performance Optical Mouse, you'll be pleased with Logitech's new MX 518 gaming mouse. The two mice have virtually identical body shapes and could easily be mistaken for one another aside from the different exterior colors. The MX 518 Gaming-Grade Mouse fits nicely in your palm if you have average-sized hands, but it's meant only for right-handed mousing, unlike the ambidextrously designed Diamondback.

gamespot

2. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

I still don't see why people are dissing the MX-1000 for gaming .... come to any DoD or Half-Life 2 DM server with me and I'll show you accuracy :) I'm always in first place and I use the MX-1000 ...

That Setpoint Gaming Settings thing ..... is it available for the MX-1000 too? I'd wanna poke around just for fun :)

Anyways nice review but once you go laser you don't go back....

3. scobywhru

scobywhru DriverHeaven Senile Member

not that the MX1000 isn't accurate but the extra hardware needed to allow for Wireless transmission and recieving ends up adding latency between when you move your mouse and you move on screen and for someone who uses a corded mouse the latency added can be noticable, I have tried many different version of cordless mice and found that all of them add a very slight but noticable lag that causes me to miss the mark when my corded mouse will get it spot on. If you grew up gaming with cordless I could see how it wouldn't matter but to us who use corded mice there is a difference, and for some of us it is a major difference.

On the MX 518 they are very nice mice and the software for it is great I have one the prototype mice from the WCG San Francisco event, it doesn't have the Laser but other then that is is exactly the same to my MX 510 except for the updated ICs and Chips. I have been using it for months now and I don't want to go back to my 510 but I am intrigued by the accuracy the laser brings.[​IMG]

4. mike2h

mike2h New Member

not discounting what you have experienced/feel but i have to disagree with your statement as far as the 1000 goes. i experienced the 'lag' you talked anout with both my microsoft wireless mice. did not like the 700 at all(took it back after 2 days) so do not know if it applies to it or not.
    i do have the same 'issues' with the 1000, it is very fast & responsive imo.

5. scobywhru

scobywhru DriverHeaven Senile Member

Well the MX 700 had it and the MX 1000 uses the same Fast RF technology i've had a side by side comparison between an MX 510 and MX 700 of UT2k4 and CS for a few hours and ONLY in the most heated fast paced battles did I notice the lag but it was there and definite.

I am not saying they aren't great mice, I love Logitech mice and I can't think of a better wireless mouse, they are accurate and quick they track great but for gaming I think the wired MX mice are better.

I'm not saying you would be better off with a wired version, you already have your setup going for you. You have gone wireless and it can only get better from here on out but i just can't break through since I got my MX 510 i don't want anything else except my Prototype with my Blue 510 top, except maybe the real 518.

but I digress we just ahve different opinions lets not let this get out of hand :)

6. SilenX

SilenX New Member

I also can't understand this rush about MX1000. I just a peace of expencive shit. MX510 is much more better. And if it's used on steelpad's surface. Another thing is MX518. This a real peace of art. Can't wait to play on it.

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

My mx510 is great! I don't see the use of the 518.... ;)

8. Clubber

Clubber New Member

I'm using a 510 right now and can't wait to upgrade to the 518.

9. Resistor

Resistor Get it Going..

The difference for upgrading to 518 from 510 is not justifiable.

Well I am currently using MX500 and I think it was a great buy... Although it was expensive when it was initially out but it well worth it.

10. rescuecheck

rescuecheck New Member

MX518 problem in DOOM3 Ressurection

My MX518 crashes the audio in DOOM3 Ressurection. The audio works fine until I press the small buttons to increase or decrease in-game sensitivity, the audio is immediately lost entirely. I even downloaded and installed the new Logitech Setpoint software and tried different settings. Logitech tech support told me to contact DOOM3 tech support, so they have no idea why this is happening. Is anyone else having this problem with DOOM3 Ressurection and the MX518?