looking for a good space flight sim

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Geminiwave, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

Remember Wing Commander? I use to get the biggest rush out of playing that. I bought this joystick for the entire purpose of playing it, but now WC2 wont work on my computer. I downloaded some free WC game at one point with gorgeous graphics but that was too short lived.

I'm done with FPS. I've played too much. I beat all of the sidescroller genesis games...I need something new. I want the rush of excitement flying through space at high speeds and tryign to line up crosshairs.

Anybody got any suggestions for me?

2. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Y don't u try a flight sim game thats not space.

They need Ace Combat to come out for PC, then I will buy a joystick.

3. Geminiwave

I dunno I never liked flight sims as much.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

X3: The Reunion should be out this week. If you've ever played Privateer or Freelancer then you should have an idea about X3. Personally I can wait for this game.

IGN and Gamespy preview.

5. Geminiwave

eh space trading :( I mean it looks good but I didnt get a good rush off of X2, so I doubt I will from X3. I want some really intense dogfights in space. Where I'm pulling back the joystick and my palms are sweating and...yeahhhhhhhh

hmm I'm gunna have to do some more searching.

Too bad WC 4 is nearly impossible to come by. I bet that game would have been pretty good.

6. Rammy

Rammy DriverHeaven PR / Reviewer

Battle of Britain II

I got this game a few days ago(expect a review soon)

Absolutely marvelous. It also comes with a 45 minute documentary of the battle, includes gun camera :D

7. Lakevren

Lakevren MedicalEntropy

Actually, X3 got improved combat.

X2 bored me, and combat was arsed.

Hopefully X3 was severely improved on combat.

From what I hear, if you do easy difficulty, you can get into combat almost immediately.

8. Earthsiege

Earthsiege New Member

Freespace 2, that game is f***ing awesome! But to understand the storyline, you must play the equally-good, but less graphic detailed Descent:Freespace.

9. cswiger

cswiger New Member

Agreed, FreeSpace 2 completely rocks-- it had a good assortment of ships and missions, where it was very clear that a bomber is not a figher with a bigger payload, a good buildup of weapons and missiles in particular (Trebuchet!), but the capital ship beam weapons kicked serious butt.

In the older Wing Commander and Xwing/TIE-fighter games, there was nothing really to fear even from the biggest capital ships, and you could generally manage to take out an ISD given only an XWing and some patience. In FreeSpace 2, a healthy capital ship has no problems swatting a single fighter...just rrrrrRRRRR....POW!, as the anti-fighter beams charge up and then fire.

Anyway, X-Wing Alliance is also another good candidate, or FreeLancer, for someone looking for a decent space combat sim, or even Independence War 2 (which was under-rated in reviews, but was quite good in it's own right)...

10. Geminiwave

hey thanks guys! I'm going to go "aquire" these games somewhere now. :)

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Did you ever play DESCENT? I never did play the first one, but, DESCENT 3 and DESCENT: MERCENARY were quite an experience for me. They ARE rather old, though, but the battles were very intense....white knuckle, zip back and forth. The graphics were very good, too. Probably would look a little dated now, though.

A game controller is a MUST for this one.

(Hmm....I just might install them again to see. :) )

Also, more recently, I played FREELANCER. Also has some intense battles.

12. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I've played decent 2 with VR glasses on, it was some kind demonstration in 90's .... It was a just great!!!

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If you're looking for old games to play, and not just a new one then you should look for one of the Freespace games. Awesome games with number 2 being my personal fav. They were (for lack of a better term) the natural progression of the Descent series.

Also, not sure if you've ever tried it, but after Chris and Eric Roberts (guys behind Wing Commander, Privateer) left EA they formed up Digital Anvil, and signed with Microsot. The first game they put out was Starlancer, which, for all intense and purposes, is essentially Wing Commander (but much better).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  14. blix9

blix9 New Member

Already said enough but Freespace1 and 2 is really great. The atmosphere is original and amazing. Although it is focused on action the storyline is very solid and it sucks you right in. I recommend playing from the Descent: Freespace(first one) so you can experience the mystrious and deadly Shivan encounter from the beginning.
    The action is second to none. Think of it as COD in space. Oh, like someone already told you here already, beware of capital ships, especially in Freespace 2. Along with the beam weapons, they've got flak cannons which will just gangbang any small plane in the vicinity. Effect is very nicely done you can actually feel the shockwaves of explosions and such.

15. Ubergrendle

Ubergrendle Semper ubi sub ubi

i believe there is an open-source port of Wing Commander:privateer for the Pentium IV / Athlon XP generation available on SourceForge. I haven't tried it yet, but its gotten decent reviews.

I agree a modern-era space-flight sim is desperately needed for the latest gen of video cards. Wing Commander II & Tie Fighter were the best in class IMHO.

PS Anyone remember F-19 Stealth Fighter on the 286? :)

16. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison