Looking for a SPECIAL enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MitchRapp, Jan 22, 2008.

1. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

Hey guys

I'm looking for a special kind of enclosure...

a USB 2.0 output for starters (that's common)

but internally, I need to be able to constantly switch out between a 2.5 IDE, 2.5 SATA, 3.5 IDE and 3.5 SATA.

This is for my work and I constantly get PC's that cannot boot and I need to put their hard drives into other PC's to explore them... but damnit I want an enclosure to do the job

and if 1 enclosure can plug into all 4 types of hard drives, I'd be happy as hell.

Any suggestions (links?)

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

That would be cool, but you can always buy 4 seperate slim enclosures.

3. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

that'd be my last resort.

I deal with DELL computers (my company rents them.... sigh...) and you wouldn't believe how many of their hard drives screw up (mainly because they use REFURBISHED parts in their computers .... gg)

Ultimately if there isn't ONE enclosure that does all this, I'll just order 1 3.5 that does IDE/SATA and 1 2.5 that does IDE/SATA .... 2 enclosures... it's not 1 but it's not 4 either.

4. deadeyeselh

deadeyeselh New Member

Check out the antec 900, i dont know if it meets your specific hard disk needs, but i know that you can easily swap drives and customize different drive sizes, i know it supports all the of the hard disks you mentioned, i dont know if you can use them all at the same time, good luck, hope i helped a bit.cheers ;)

5. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

uhhh well the Antec 900 seems to be a PC case... which has nothing to do with my topic....

6. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

would this be more helpful, all the connections without the enclosure? friend has one, works great as far as i know

BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter

Features: USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Connect any device with an IDE/SATA Interface to a PC with USB interface Transfer rate Approx. 480 MBps Complies with USB 2.0 standards Backwards compatible to USB 1.1 standards Complies with ATA/ATAPI-66 Spe. V1.0 Easy to Install Supports IDE/SATA and enhanced IDE hard drives Supports

Package Contents: USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter Power Cord Power Adapter Driver Disk

Specifications: Works with 2.5", 3.5" HDD, 5.25" CD/DVD Drive and SATA Drives OS: Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP Mac OS 9.2 or higher Linux 2.4.X

If that one doesnt do the job for you with the 2.5 SATA drives maybe look around, i seen very similar products by other brands on newegg, maybe itll do 2.5 SATA

7. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

wow and I had gotten that before checking the last reply... thanks it's exactly what I found ! :)

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

you know what i did?

i grabbed a addin adapter (back) and 3.5 cover (front) and kinda modded a system.... got a 18" IDE cable, a standard IDE 3.5 to 2.5 adapter... and then setup an E-Sata port with molex/sata power adapter that i can plug right in.... don't have to pop the side of the case off or anything, just hot plug it into which ever is best, and run it right on the table for whatever i need.... Makes it quite handy for looking through, attempting recoveries and doing transfers..... with the USB 2.0 500gb freeagent drive i've got, transfers are fast.