Looking for gigabit router recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Tril, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I got an email from my isp saying that they are offering to upgrade my modem to raise my bandwidth from 60 to 120 Mbps.

I'm currently using a D-Link DIR-615 100 Mbps router. I want to upgrade to a gigabit router to get full use of the bandwidth if it's really as much as they say. Three or four wired connections is enough. I want wireless for the iPad, cellphone. My main concern is that I want a router that won't lock-up if there's a lot of connections (torrents).

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Fortunately, most any new model of router with Gigabit ports should do just fine. The more expensive ones can have load balancing that evens out the bandwidth so that for instance one unlimited torrenting system does not take over 99% of the bandwidth leaving none for the others, but even with those it's best to simply put a limit in the torrent program that leave sufficient room for the other systems typical activity. When playing any kind of demanding games it will be best to pause any other heavy activity in order to avoid irregular ping performance.

Going by recent experiences I would look for deals on newer routers from TP-Link and ASUS first. ASUS tend to have the nicer interface of the two, if the need would ever arise to configure it much. If wireless range is not a primary concern, they also have some models with built in antennas that look nicer. TP-Link are more about large external antennas that give you more range for the money. My own TL-WDR4300 has served me nicely, but it's from 2012 so there might be something else around the same price that came out 2013 which might be worth looking into.

Don't put too much faith into expensive routers that come with features like cloud management or internal torrent engine. They usually don't perform half as well as a dusty old computer sitting on the network. With a speedy internet connection there can be quite enough work for it to do without anything fancy running on the side.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I cannot recommend the D-Link DIR-655. For the most part it works really well but I have to reboot it a bit to often because the wireless fails for some reason and I can't connect that way to it.

4. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

Thank you for the advices.