Looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Boom782, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Boom782

Boom782 New Member

Im going to be building a new PC this summer and wanted to work off of an AMD XP1800 Processor or better. I wnted to know what MB's you would suggest. Something thats good and will hopefully last me close to 2 years if not more, but also not cost more than $150 or so. One with DDR support. Any suggestions? Friend of mine told me to go with the Soyo Ultra 333 but I wanted to get more opinions. Thanks.

Boom

2. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

I use the EPoX 8KHA+ and I think it is excellent, but you probably want a more up-to-date board than that. I like EPoX a lot and their KT333 board (8K3A+) seems to be receiving favorable reviews.

I am of the opinion that one could never go wrong with ASUS. As such, I recommend the A7V333.

A lot of people have been recommending the new MSI board to me (MSI KT3 ULTRA). It looks to be very nice, and, as a bonus, is quite affordable. Grab it at NewEgg for a cool $77. Alternatively, if spending as little as possible is your primary focus, I have yet to read anyone say anything bad about the $54 ECS K7S5A.

At work, we primarily sell the AOpen AK77-333, which Kyle of HardOCP really took a liking to. Some of my coworkers have had some compatibility issues with this board, and I don't recommend it anyway, due it its lack of tweaking features.

I also like Gigabyte boards, and their latest --the Gigabyte GA-7VRX-- can be had for $86.

--

There are a few models to look at. I hope that helps! :)

3. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

I know I keep pimping this board on this forum but look for the Abit AT7 not the AT7E but the AT7.

6 onboard IDE channels for up to 12 drives at ATA133 (4 of the channels support raid 0, 1, 0+1)
    8 USB Ports (4 2.0, 4 1.1)
    2 Firewire Ports
    Onboard Lan
    Onboard 6 channel sound
    Audio connector (Line-in, Center/Sub, Surround Spk , Front Spk , Mic-in)
    as well as support for the Media XP device (Sold seperately) which has support for all of these:
    Card Reader (Optional)
    Supports Memory card (MS or SD) Interface
    Supports SONY Memory Stick Interface/ SD Memory Card Interface
    Supports Compact Flash ROM Interface

This board can be had for as little as 130 bucks but usually is around 160

and at cbwnet.com you can pick up the athlon xp 2200+ for 214 or the 2100+ retail from them for only 188 bucks. so for 350 bones plus shipping youd have the whole setup from that one site ;)

4. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Re:

Are you serious?

Perhaps it's the bargain hunter in me, but for $350, I'd get...
    MSI KT3 ULTRA
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    ATi Radeon 8500LE (128MB)

...and still have $40 left over for a BITCHIN' heatsink/fan. Or liquor, depending on your preference.

5. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Re:

bargain would be right

youd be minus 2 IDE channels 2 firewire ports and onboard lan. right there thats money in the bag

plus i wouldnt want the 8500LE right now maybe the retail but not the LE

plus heh my cpu is faster ;)

but if he really wants to save he can get the xp1900+ for 64 bucks cheaper from there

6. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

Re:

Actually the AT7 has 3 Firewire ports, one is on the board, and requires a connector, which some cases have on the front

7. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

yeah i know bout the 3rd........meant to put it the other way but got too lazy ;)

8. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Re:

Well, I don't need RAID, really. And I upgrade often enough to where that board isn't attractive because it's a little more future-proof than others. For $115, you could get the aforementioned MSI board, a FireWire card (with three ports), and a Netgear NIC. If you need that many IDE controllers, I guess the board's a good deal, though.

Yeah, yeah, and the 2.53GHz P4 is faster still?
    So? Price is a consideration. ;)
    Plus, I'd rather have a 11x166 "2200+" than a 13x133 one. :)

9. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

im not planning on using RAID either but I will have 4 80GB HDs and a dvd writer of some kind and a 40x cdrw. so it will come in handy having their own channels ;)

yeah but heck not many places can you get the 2200+ for 214 dollars for the retail and 209 for the oem ;)

10. Boom782

Boom782 New Member

haha, well maybe I should have clarified that I am a basic computer user who likes to play high end games and run a fast computer. I don't do graphics design and never plan on having more than 2 HD's. I would like to get a MB, RAM, and CPU and hopefully keep it around $300. Im just looking for something reliable that I won't have to replace in 6 months. Thanks again for the help.

Also, any idea what I can get for a Celeron 500 with brand new MB and 512 SDRAM? And if anyones interested please reply to my post in Selling Forum. Thanks

Boom

11. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

asus a7s 333 (70 bucks with sis chipset) :) good mobo