Looking for X-fi Forte drivers questions about PAX drivers

Discussion in 'PAX Download - Auzentech Series' started by cjv998, Feb 10, 2014.

1. cjv998

cjv998 New Member

Hi everyone. I've had an X-fi Forte 7.1 for 3-4 years now, and I just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro x64. I went to the Auzentech website to download the latest drivers, only to find that the company is no more. Some Google searching for drivers brought me here.

Here's what I'd like to get out of the card: I'd like to continue using the card like I did with my last OS (Vista x64). I would use SPDIF to pass the digital audio to my receiver. When playing games, I would either use the card's analog outputs (so that my receiver can apply its room correction and equalization), or use DTS Connect or Dolby Digital Live (still haven't decided which of those 3 options I like best). I never use the CMSS processing. I do enjoy all the gaming-related processing (EAX, OpenAL, etc.).

After reading the description of the PAX drivers, I'm still unclear on what exactly they change from the original drivers. Personally, I don't remember having any issues with the original drivers (well, except for them being developed so slowly), but if the card can sound even better, I'm certainly interested. I'm just trying to decide if the PAX drivers are right for me, or if I should keep digging around and try to find the latest OEM drivers.

Thanks for the input!

2. Franpa

Franpa New Member

I'm under the same impression as a lot of nay sayers about these drivers, in particular that the "tweaks" are just placebo (Seriously, look at the tweak files and tell me that their contents don't look like made up gibberish that is meant to "sound smart"). The only reason I use these is it allows me to use the latest Creative software with the latest driver Auzentech released (In my case, Volume Panel & Console Launcher specifically).

The Auzentech version of the Console Launcher that they include with their official drivers has a different layout to the Creative one but for me it is extremely crash prone (Not system wide crash, just the console launcher program it self would crash).

There's some shitty DRM built in to the Creative software to prevent non Creative users from installing the software. Robert has managed to work around the DRM and I can't be assed learning how to do it myself (I did try it and managed to succeed once, but I've since forgotten where you have to place files/exact modifications to make to files etc. for it to work and I don't want to repeatedly bother the original person that mentored me in how to do it).

Edit: I am being rather negative, there are some legitimate modifications made to the drivers, but I'm not completely aware of all of them. I know he modifies them to install for more devices and to successfully install on operating systems that are originally not supported for example. I've also seen reports of people claiming they produce different sound, but I personally can't really tell a difference.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014