Lost Summary tab on .AVI properties

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Serendipity, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Serendipity

Serendipity New Member

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. If I right click any .AVI files, select properties and click the summary tab it simply shows “Summary properties are unavailable for the selected source(s)†instead of the usual details about resolution, bit rate, codec etc…. (in the advanced view that is)

The tab works fine for all other file types (jpg, mpeg, wmv, etc…) but with AVI I get nothing.

I know the information is still embedded in the file because if I connect from another XP machine on my LAN to exactly the same file on this PC I can see the Summary details with no problem.

Obviously I’ve changed something that’s screwing it up, but Google and M$ searches provide no answers. Has anyone ever seen this before? Cheers. :)

2. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

The loss of the summary comes after using a registry fix for the issue with unfinished or damaged AVI files to become difficult to delete or move. That issue comes from the WinXP interface trying hard to find info in a file structure that isn't quite what it expects.

That one looks really nice. :)

4. Serendipity

Serendipity New Member

Very interesting. I’ll check this out. It’s actually a brand new clean install and other than installing programs and applying the latest hotfixes etc I haven’t really fiddled with much. Thanks for that. :)

Thanks for that too. Nice little tool that gives me the info I was after. :D I still hope to find a cure for XP's malady though.:bleh:

5. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

well, i often stayed away from XP doing that kind of stuff. it doesnt give good enough info, like the above application. it can also be used by right clicking a file and clicking check with avicodec. so its simple as well.